Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2007, 03:06 PM

157 posts, read 716,503 times

Advertisements

Somehow a bunch of "somebodies" charmed the Republican party into holding their 2008 Presidential Candidate Convention in St Paul (and Minneapolis). Wowser, they must have blindfolded the money folk$ if and when they checked out both cities. Neither downtown of either city is the least impressive! Lots of empty stores in the main drags.

They must plan to setup dummy storefronts in both cities to show prosperity. In Mpls that means fillling the 99 percent unoccupied storefronts of city center's top two floors. What once was a thriving shopping mall just five years ago, is now nearly vacant.

Gaviidae across the street doesn't look that good either. The top floor "eats" area has a LOT of casualties. As usual, McDonalds has long lines at eat-times and does pretty well in the off-hours, too.

Unless they plan to blindfold all the conventioneers through these areas, they'd better be ready to tapdance. Or dummy up a WHOLE BUNCH of storefronts.

And outside, Hennepin Avenue looks like the depression has hit it. Nicollet Mall outside is a bit better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 04:32 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,565,256 times
Maybe we could empty out some more store fronts and import a few homeless and winos. Show the Republicans what they create.

Old 08-18-2007, 05:36 PM

HAHAHA! Yahbut seriously, how in the world was TCs picked? Ironic in this is where the DFL party was created.

Hey, maybe they could recreate what's now the "Gateway" area in Minneapolis. That was one big bars & flophouses area until the late 50s.

Old 08-18-2007, 05:49 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,565,256 times
The Gateway was always a slum. That has nothing to do with politics. BTW, Minneapolis municipal politics were much more conservative in the Fifties.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:09 PM

I can't recall the politics. But I was a kid when my folks would come down to the big Twin Cities every year. In the early 50s, downtown Minneapolis LOOKED like a big city downtown. Our family stayed in the Vendome Hotel, which was sort of a middle of the road hotel where all out of town country and small town folk stayed. In those days, hotels had separate pool and game rooms, a huge "sitting room and pretty good rooms. The kind of home folks tourist hotels were along that street that now runs past the new library, a block south of Washington Avenue. Can't recall exactly the hotels. There was a big hotel, then a couple of shops, then the Vendom, and the Milner and the Miller Hotels. Those two "M" hotels were like "old folks" hotels. Right out of a Saturday Evening Post cover! There'd be a fan or two in the lobby next to the hotel clerk desk. Guys sitting there smoking cigars. Radio was on. Folks would stop in one of the other of those "M" hotels and ask directions and just to see the locals. Dad was very outgoing. He's say, "Hey, what's the news in the big city. We're from South Dakota." And invariably one, two or more folks would say, "Where you from in South Dakota." Then there'd be a conversation. "Oh, I used to farm up by Hecla..." And on and on. Them my mom would grab dad by the hand and we'd all go shopping in the big city.

Those WERE to days! Little shops ALL over downtown. "Bargain" specialty clothing shops were in abundance, usually manufacturer overstock or had some little flaw. Ha! Nowadays, they charge full retail for everything. And you find out later you got gypped. They were a little more honest (maybe) back in those days.

Dad liked to take us to Jack Dempsey's (after the boxer) cafe on Hennepin Avenue. It would be where a parking lot is now across from the Gay 90s. BTW, the Gay 90s was there. But not a gay joint like now. It had strip shows. A tough guy, but not a gay guy, hangout. Of course, we good churchgoing folk wouldn't tarry.

And in those days you could--hang on to your hats--PARK YOUR CAR ON NICOLLET AND HENNEPIN AVENUES!!! Yes! Of course, you had to circle the block a few times. There were parking lots. No parknig ramps. IMHO the greatest way devised to chase away customers were the downtown malls. El sucko! Find the dinkderk that come up with that and throw him to the wolves! You have ZERO suburbanites and not as many country and small town folk coming downtown Mpls as a destination any more. And downtown used to be a place for office workers to meet their dates and "do the town" at night. There were live touring shows and REAL movie theaters run by movie companies or chains. And nice restaurants where you could take your date or where young married couples could go and not pay a fortune for mediocre or lowlife food at $$$ prices.

That's all gone, thanks to the meatheads that devised the downtown malls. Sure it was a chore to park. But you did it because you had an adventure awaiting you. It is now just plain SUCKY, grossly overpriced and lowliferly posing as "big time."

Gone is the Forum Cafe where EVERYBODY went, from big shots to country folks coming into town. People would sit and talk for hours. Even play cards in the booths! Closest thing to the good old 50s is some pick-nose steak house. Ever eat their "butterknife steak?" You get bettter meat at McDonalds in a Whopper!

Whew, enough for now!

Old 08-18-2007, 09:47 PM

638 posts, read 3,124,625 times
Jim, I think you were just born 50 years too late. In this day and age I would hate to park on either Hennepin or Nicollet Avenues.

I moved down to the Cities back in 1973; and even back then cars weren't allowed to drive on Nicollet Ave, much less park. I really can't remember if Hennepin Ave. had parking spaces back then though.

I do agree that it will be interesting to see how the 2 downtown areas get spruced up for the RNC, however. Let's hope it isn't all just fancy storefront dressings and nothing else but stage props (although I can imagine that the security companies would prefer if it were all closed and secured stage props!).

Old 08-18-2007, 10:11 PM

Ha! Hey there's an idea! Cordon off downtown streets for street repair and also rent a bunch of big old movie lights and thick AC cords with a sign, "QUIET! SHOOTING "MINNEAPOLIS OR BUST" MOVIE! CLOSED SET! BY ORDER OF THE (STUPID) MINNEAPOLIS MAYOR."

And I'm just glad the Good Lord let me be around BEFORE Mpls downtown went down the toilet. Again, there WERE parking meters for sure on Nicollet and Hennepin Avenues and all the intersecting side streets. Otherwise, you could park like two or three blocks away and walk to the loop. That was BGAP (Before Greedy-Ass Politicians) ruined downtown.

Same scenario for Riverplace. Had a zillion eateries and shops there for a few years. Then the greedies raised the rent out of sight. Same scenario. It will be the same scenario for rent in the townhouses. They give everybody a "deal" the first couple of years. Then they will try to squeeze you dry. Be looking for lots of empty high rises.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:24 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,131,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stokes View Post
Somehow a bunch of "somebodies" charmed the Republican party into holding their 2008 Presidential Candidate Convention in St Paul (and Minneapolis). Wowser, they must have blindfolded the money folk$ if and when they checked out both cities. Neither downtown of either city is the least impressive! Lots of empty stores in the main drags.

They must plan to setup dummy storefronts in both cities to show prosperity. In Mpls that means fillling the 99 percent unoccupied storefronts of city center's top two floors. What once was a thriving shopping mall just five years ago, is now nearly vacant.

Gaviidae across the street doesn't look that good either. The top floor "eats" area has a LOT of casualties. As usual, McDonalds has long lines at eat-times and does pretty well in the off-hours, too.

Unless they plan to blindfold all the conventioneers through these areas, they'd better be ready to tapdance. Or dummy up a WHOLE BUNCH of storefronts.

And outside, Hennepin Avenue looks like the depression has hit it. Nicollet Mall outside is a bit better.
Don't know about Hennepin, but I was very impressed with Nicollet Mall when I was there.

The Landmark Center in St. Paul and the park outside it is beautiful.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:06 PM

Yeah. Let's keep our sunny sides up. Enough of my complaining. There's a lot of natural beauty in the TCs. Let's enjoy that. Business is always up and own anway.

Everybody have a great day! And a great life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul