Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 03:00 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,680,002 times

My Favorite Minnesota - Natural Wonders - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 03:32 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,478,798 times
Excellent

Old 01-15-2012, 05:54 PM

418 posts, read 906,723 times
I moved away and now am regretting it, even if I'm not a native!!

Old 01-17-2012, 08:38 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,686 times
Better question is what doesn't make me proud to be from here. College City (St. Paul), highest life expectancy in the country, highest voter turnout per capita in the country, Most boaters per capita, most golf courses per capita. The Scandinavian, German, Polish, Italian, Irish cultures. All the four major pro sports teams. Have a harbor on the largest freshwater lake on the planet. I could go on and on.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:08 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,680,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Better question is what doesn't make me proud to be from here. College City (St. Paul), highest life expectancy in the country, highest voter turnout per capita in the country, Most boaters per capita, most golf courses per capita. The Scandinavian, German, Polish, Italian, Irish cultures. All the four major pro sports teams. Have a harbor on the largest freshwater lake on the planet. I could go on and on.
15,000 lakes, birth place of the largest river in the USA.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
15,000 lakes, birth place of the largest river in the USA.
Indeed. And the Mighty Mississippi is actually clean up there.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:45 PM

43 posts, read 150,586 times
I just did a quick visit of the twin cities and Duluth. I'd miss having the Appalachain mountains for recreation but everything else looked nice. Lake Superior seemed like an ok substitute for the oceans.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:34 PM

127 posts, read 192,512 times
What makes me proud of Minnesota?

*close association with the Nordic countries, distinct cultural identity that isn't a muted blend of transplants

*high standards in education and overall quality of life

*good mix of politics- progressive, while maintaining conservative family values, ability to shed many of the Midwest stereotypes

*diversity of the landscape (plains, rolling farmland, river bluffs, northwoods, lakes, along with a vibrant metropolitan area)

*four distinct seasons

*northernmost point in the continental US, status as a northern outlier of the US, not being lost in a sea of surrounding metropolitan areas in all directions yields a distinct identity

*capital of cold (or at least co-capital w/ North Dakota), coldest major metropolitan area in the U.S.

*outdoor era of Minnesota Vikings football / the Bud Grant stare. I know one Super Bowl and a Final Four every ten years is important, but I'm secretly wishing that the regional event center concept falls apart and the ultimate outcome is a scaled down outdoor stadium.

*a bunch of punk bank robbers from MO come up here raising hell and the town's people of Northfield band together and cap their azzes

*dominating the U.S. curling scene at the Olympics

*the Upper Midwest in general, it's a good "neighborhood" to be in

*1-of-50 states produces 12-of-20 hockey players (plus the head coach) for what is widely considered the single most meaningful sporting event in the history of the nation.

*outdoors culture that doesn't shy away from bitter cold winter temperatures

*great parks, trail systems

*Coen Bros

*in the heartland of America, but still physically linked to the world via the Great Lakes and the Mississippi

Old 01-21-2012, 08:51 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Indeed. And the Mighty Mississippi is actually clean up there.
This brought a smile to my face.

A lot of the locals find it funny to Peee in the origin of the river. We have a few times.
So it may not be as clean as you think.

To bad it can't make it out of the state without it turning in to an impaired water way.

The Mississippi River ranked third in the nation for receiving the most pollution, behind the Ohio and New Rivers.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
This brought a smile to my face.

A lot of the locals find it funny to Peee in the origin of the river. We have a few times.
So it may not be as clean as you think.

To bad it can't make it out of the state without it turning in to an impaired water way.

The Mississippi River ranked third in the nation for receiving the most pollution, behind the Ohio and New Rivers.
Yeah, it's just downright nasty in downtown St. Paul. Gross. I've a friend who fishes out of there down by Fort Snelling and he refuses to eat anything out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul