Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 01:43 AM

14 posts, read 45,691 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm a young professional in Atlanta, who graduated from college last year and has been working at a private company since graduation. I recently received two job offers that require relocation to Minneapolis and Washington DC respectively. The job at Minneapolis is at a fortune 500 company that offers $60+k, whereas the Washington DC job is at a consulting firm with $50+k salary.

As I really LOVE the lifestyle in big cities, I will pick washington dc location wise without hesitation. I also personally value the consulting job (washington dc) experience more, but I think it's somewhat underpaid. On the other hand, the Minneapolis job is in a fortune 500 firm, so the experience could not be bad, and the pay is 10k higher!!

I'm really torn between these two choices. (fyi. staying in Atlanta has been ruled out.) Which one would you suggest please? Could you also give me some ideas in the following criteria for both cities:
- young adult lifestyle/entertainment
- food and shopping
- people: young processionals and networks
- career opportunities
- estimated monthly cost of living with roommate(s) in a safe neighborhood
- crime

To help you understand my situation better, I'm hoping to get into a good business school, after another 2 years of work experience at the new company. So working in the company and the city (in terms of experience and networking, etc.) that is helpful with my mba preparation/application is also very important.

So all in all, do you think I should choose Minneapolis with a higher income or Washington DC with a more preferable lifestyle? Your honest advice is truly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 03:18 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
The DC area is VERY expensive. Have you looked into rentals in either place? It would be difficult to get by on 50K in the DC area without having a very long commute each way, an hour+ each way. I love DC but if you can start your career making 60K in the Minneapolis area you will be better off in the long run. Get a few years of experience under your belt, get some money saved up, put some nice funds into your retirement accounts and then move to DC if you still want to.

60K in Minneapolis for a new college grad, single, is a very livable wage.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:34 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,271 times
Obviously you've come to a place you are going to get pretty biased answers, but I agree with GG that $60k in Minneapolis will go a whole lot further than $50k in DC. Ultimately its up to you to decide if the different job experiences would be worth it. Some people say its more challenging to meet people here than other places, but I think if you choose wisely where you live (i.e. find a neighborhood that fits your demographic) and be outgoing and proactive, you can find friends easy enough.

As far as business schools, Carlson School of Management (U of MN) is supposed to be pretty top-notch, isn't it? I'm sure DC has plenty of good business schools, too, so I would think that is kind of a wash.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:33 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,729,919 times
I've lived in both, and love both for different reasons. As has been pointed out, the cost of living in Minneapolis is MUCH more affordable than in DC. Assuming your work schedule allows, you'll have more money for savings, for going out with your friends, for travel, etc. in Minneapolis. You can still easily live in DC on your salary (and in a decent neighborhood; it's expensive, but you're just one person, not trying to raise an entire family on that salary) but your money won't go nearly as far and you will have to watch your budget more closely.

DC is a fun city, but it's also very much a company town. You'll have tons of fellow young professionals, but it's a different kind of environment. In some ways I think you may actually have an easier time with the "young adult lifestyle" in Minneapolis; huge generalization, of course, but a lot of the young professions you'll meet in DC are serious workaholics working on the hill or otherwise living and breathing work, often related to politics. It's incredibly power-obsessed. It's also, since you mention shopping, not really a "shopping" kind of city. It's a weird city. Of course some of that is going to depend on where you live and work, but even though neither my husband or I worked for the government while living there, it still permeated our lives. If you wanted a federal job or to benefit from federal job contracts down the road, then DC would absolutely be the perfect place.

Since you want the MBA, I'd consider working the Fortune 500 job in Minneapolis and working the connections and saving up your money. Your colleagues and supervisors will be connected to the world outside of Minnesota, so it's not as though you'll need to be here forever (although if you decided you love it, Carlson is considered a very good local option). I would let your future plans be the guide here and make your plans based on that, given that I think you'll find a big (or big enough) city feel in either city and can afford to live in either place, but don't think of the pay difference as only $10,000 -- in practical terms, that extra 10k in Minneapolis is worth a lot more.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:49 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,186,651 times
Based on salary and cost of living alone, you'd actually have a life here in Minneapolis, not to mention MUCH less financial stress (don't ever discount the value of not having financial stress -- in case you don't already know that!). Also, I don't know if D.C. has a better business school than the Carlson School of Management (University of Minnesota graduate program), and that's not a slight to D.C. schools like Georgetown or G.W., that's a testament to how good CSM is! Avg. rents in the Twin Cities are considerably lower than D.C., and if you used a cost of living calculator (just Google that term) you'd find that D.C. is also considerably more expensive to live in across the board. If your goal were to say, purchase a home, have a car and pay for grad. school, you could do that in Minneapolis w/in 5-8 years, while in D.C. it could take you quite a bit longer.

Otherwise, for somebody coming from Atlanta, the transition to D.C. seems like a smoother one and I'm worried that Minneapolis would possibly fall short of your expectations entertainment and weather wise. Not that the weather or entertainment are a major problem per se, but that some people have high expectations of those things and may not be able or willing to step out of their comfort zone in those two areas. Minneapolis is not flashy, like Atlanta or D.C., which is mostly where I am coming from on the entertainment aspect.

BTW, if you go to a Minneapolis forum and ask which city is better, chances are you'll get "Minneapolis". Same if you go to the D.C. forum. So my advice would be to stick to the facts and not let emotional responses sway your decision.

Good luck!

Old 05-09-2012, 09:51 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,729,919 times
Not so sure I'd call DC flashy, though -- it's a more uptight, stuffy city. It is, however, easier to do weekend trips to NYC from DC.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:55 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,916,816 times
$50 k in dc? is that a joke?? Do not take this offer. I repeat do not take this offer. i dont care how much you love the dc nightlife. this is coming from someone who was born in dc and lived in dc. i have a sister who just moved from laurel, md to germantown md. ITS NOT CHEAP. that 60 k in dc will take you a lot further. im strictly speaking from a financial standpoint. socially, i think dc is better. but i would take the minny offer in a heartbeat

Old 05-09-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I've lived in both, and love both for different reasons. As has been pointed out, the cost of living in Minneapolis is MUCH more affordable than in DC. Assuming your work schedule allows, you'll have more money for savings, for going out with your friends, for travel, etc. in Minneapolis. You can still easily live in DC on your salary (and in a decent neighborhood; it's expensive, but you're just one person, not trying to raise an entire family on that salary) but your money won't go nearly as far and you will have to watch your budget more closely.

DC is a fun city, but it's also very much a company town. You'll have tons of fellow young professionals, but it's a different kind of environment. In some ways I think you may actually have an easier time with the "young adult lifestyle" in Minneapolis; huge generalization, of course, but a lot of the young professions you'll meet in DC are serious workaholics working on the hill or otherwise living and breathing work, often related to politics. It's incredibly power-obsessed. It's also, since you mention shopping, not really a "shopping" kind of city. It's a weird city. Of course some of that is going to depend on where you live and work, but even though neither my husband or I worked for the government while living there, it still permeated our lives. If you wanted a federal job or to benefit from federal job contracts down the road, then DC would absolutely be the perfect place.

Since you want the MBA, I'd consider working the Fortune 500 job in Minneapolis and working the connections and saving up your money. Your colleagues and supervisors will be connected to the world outside of Minnesota, so it's not as though you'll need to be here forever (although if you decided you love it, Carlson is considered a very good local option). I would let your future plans be the guide here and make your plans based on that, given that I think you'll find a big (or big enough) city feel in either city and can afford to live in either place, but don't think of the pay difference as only $10,000 -- in practical terms, that extra 10k in Minneapolis is worth a lot more.
Thank you for your unbiased advice! As you said I'm only one person, without student loan and had already bought a car. I imagine if I move to DC, my life there will not be luxurious, but will at least afford a decent social life like any other young professionals. Since I have visited dc a couple of times, I sorta know the lifestyle I will be getting there. On the other hand, I have no friends at minneapolis and barely know the city. Do you mind sharing with me more on the lifestyle of a young professional at minneapolis please?
- the activities after work and in the weekend (happy hour, dinner, etc.?)
- culture of the city (broadway shows? theater plays? etc...)
- winter events for people who are not particular outdoorsy?

Thanks!!!

Old 05-09-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Based on salary and cost of living alone, you'd actually have a life here in Minneapolis, not to mention MUCH less financial stress (don't ever discount the value of not having financial stress -- in case you don't already know that!). Also, I don't know if D.C. has a better business school than the Carlson School of Management (University of Minnesota graduate program), and that's not a slight to D.C. schools like Georgetown or G.W., that's a testament to how good CSM is! Avg. rents in the Twin Cities are considerably lower than D.C., and if you used a cost of living calculator (just Google that term) you'd find that D.C. is also considerably more expensive to live in across the board. If your goal were to say, purchase a home, have a car and pay for grad. school, you could do that in Minneapolis w/in 5-8 years, while in D.C. it could take you quite a bit longer.

Otherwise, for somebody coming from Atlanta, the transition to D.C. seems like a smoother one and I'm worried that Minneapolis would possibly fall short of your expectations entertainment and weather wise. Not that the weather or entertainment are a major problem per se, but that some people have high expectations of those things and may not be able or willing to step out of their comfort zone in those two areas. Minneapolis is not flashy, like Atlanta or D.C., which is mostly where I am coming from on the entertainment aspect.

BTW, if you go to a Minneapolis forum and ask which city is better, chances are you'll get "Minneapolis". Same if you go to the D.C. forum. So my advice would be to stick to the facts and not let emotional responses sway your decision.

Good luck!
Thank you for the reply!! As I heard two extreme opinions towards minneapolis among my friends, I would really appreciate more information/examples on the lifestyle in minneapolis. Why do you think Minneapolis would possibly fall short of your expectations, moving from atlanta?

Actually the reason I'm determined to move out of atlanta is that though it has its attractions, I want to be in a city with richer cultures.. For example, when I think of the fun parts of nyc, I immediately think of its theater plays and shopping; dc would be its free museums~ Could you share with me some highlights of minneapolis please?

Old 05-09-2012, 05:28 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiyoweii View Post
Thank you for the reply!! As I heard two extreme opinions towards minneapolis among my friends, I would really appreciate more information/examples on the lifestyle in minneapolis. Why do you think Minneapolis would possibly fall short of your expectations, moving from atlanta?

Actually the reason I'm determined to move out of atlanta is that though it has its attractions, I want to be in a city with richer cultures.. For example, when I think of the fun parts of nyc, I immediately think of its theater plays and shopping; dc would be its free museums~ Could you share with me some highlights of minneapolis please?
Theaters, plays and free museums Minneapolis is second to New York for theater seats and we have several museums that are free--although they don't really compete with the Smithsonian's, they are still very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul