Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 11:18 AM

73,115 posts, read 62,763,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
People from Gary, Chicago, St. Louis, Detroit, Milwaukee, etc. STILL come to the Twin Cities in droves......it's one of the few places in the Midwest that is thriving AND relatively close to family/friends. Not everybody wants to move to far away places in the South, and those that prefer Northern living but don't like where they live move to places like Minneapolis, Kansas City, Indy, and Columbus.
True. I'm Black, I live in the South(metro Atlanta) and I want to move to a cooler, perhaps a cold climate, or even a climate that isn't hot and humid much of the year. I've met some nice people in the South. I've met some bad people in the South. However, at this point it just isn't for me. This has been my short list of places I want to move to when I graduate from college in 20 days: Seattle, Minneapolis, St. Paul, Denver, San Diego,Portland(Oregon). Initially, Seattle, Minneapolis, and Denver made the top list for me because they were voted among the friendliest cities for interracial couples. I was 16, being subjected to racial harassment in the exurbs of Atlanta(I differentiate between suburb and exurb), and to me, Minnesota, Washington, and Colorado seemed much more liberal in that aspect, none of that "Old South" culture. Nowadays, I realize there will still be prejudice wherever I go. However, the aforementioned places still hold a place because of other aspects, such as quality of life(Mpls and Seattle are bicycle friendly, Denver has a myriad of outdoor activities and it's progressing in terms of its mass transit.). I can think of many reasons a Black professional like my father should move to Minnesota. My father was the person who turned me on to Minnesota. He says attitudes in Minnesota differ from attitudes in many southern states. Different things for everyone. I've been trying to make it to St. Paul's Winter Carnival for a few years, missed each chance. Now that I'm graduating in 20 days, if I can get a job, I can save up.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:41 PM

67 posts, read 149,296 times
I believe Brooklyn Park holds a sizable middle-class African American community

Old 07-11-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe3rdwash View Post
I believe Brooklyn Park holds a sizable middle-class African American community
Kirby Puckett used to live in St. Louis Park. I wonder what that place is like.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:41 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,117,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Kirby Puckett used to live in St. Louis Park. I wonder what that place is like.
It's an older suburb, but it's fairly nice.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
It's an older suburb, but it's fairly nice.
Kind of what Decatur and Sandy Springs are to Atlanta?

Old 07-11-2012, 04:45 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,490,652 times
I'd love it if the organized and ambitious people came. Trouble is when the people who can't function in those places migrate here and can't function here, either. With the guaranteed right of free travel, people can easily roam around the country looking for other people who can solve their problems for them. And no one really monitors this, so we'll never know what negative trends are nothing but this sort of thing.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:16 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,117,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Kind of what Decatur and Sandy Springs are to Atlanta?
I'm not that familiar with Decatur or Sandy Springs. I'm over on the west side of Atlanta.

Try looking around in Google Maps street view.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:42 AM

418 posts, read 907,765 times
St. Louis Park is nothing at all like Decatur. While I'm not familiar with the burbs in Atlanta, I would say SLP is maybe like the Garden Hills area of north Atlanta. Decatur is hip, walkable and considered probably more like Uptown w/o the nicer homes anchored by the Lakes.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:47 AM

418 posts, read 907,765 times
Mariner, both rcsteiner and I moved to Atlanta from the Twin Cities. Rcsteiner seems to have lived there a lot longer and is native to the area so he has good perspective. I moved there as a transplants many many years ago so I have a transplants perspective. If you're looking at MSP, you'll find a job. In your 20s, live in the Uptown area. It's a lot like VA/Hi and Midtown Atlanta, maybe even Little Five Points. Anywhere else, you'll be bored.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:12 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,452,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip_shakespeare View Post
Mason3000, do you have actual proof - not anecdotal evidence - that many black people moved to Minnesota, in the '80s, to take advantage of what you term a generous welfare system? If so, please present it.

...Waiting, but not holding my breath.
No, he doesn't. He's just talking out of his ass.

I also asked for proof of this in one of the first posts in this thread and no one responded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul