Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 08:30 PM

2 posts, read 5,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I absolutely hate the cold weather and snow yet I continue to live in Minnesota. I got really depressed yesterday when we had the snowfall and locked myself up in my house last night and refused to leave. If I could get my same job and my same school program in a warm climate and get all my friends and family to move there, I would do it
I can relate. I have lived here in Minnesota since I was 1 1/2 yrs old, and I am still not used to the cold, snow, ice, etc. I HATE winter. I dread it every year. Even when we have a "mild" winter. I would love to find a place with the same culture, opportunity, reasonable cost of living, low crime rate & good schools etc.... but with warmer weather. My husband and I talk about moving somewhere warmer, every winter. We just haven't found that "perfect" place yet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 09:20 PM

7 posts, read 21,954 times
Talking De ja vu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckyh516 View Post
I can relate. I have lived here in Minnesota since I was 1 1/2 yrs old, and I am still not used to the cold, snow, ice, etc. I HATE winter. I dread it every year. Even when we have a "mild" winter. I would love to find a place with the same culture, opportunity, reasonable cost of living, low crime rate & good schools etc.... but with warmer weather. My husband and I talk about moving somewhere warmer, every winter. We just haven't found that "perfect" place yet!

Its my third winter here and before that I was in MI not a better place interms of winter either. But i love MN for everything else and so I cant make that decision to move and also did not find a warmer place with all the plus points of MN. any places out there which is MN minus winter?

Old 12-04-2007, 10:43 PM

638 posts, read 3,124,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckyh516 View Post
You know what? I've lived in MN for most of my life too; and I DID move south to a warmer climate: I moved from NW MN to the Twin Cities!

I've had arthritis since I was 18 years old; my joints creak and ache and some days are just downright painfully awful. But I learned many years ago that a person is as happy (or as miserable) as they make up their minds to be! So on days when I feel good; I go out and enjoy what I can, whether it's playing in the snow (like I did for a short time tonight) or just taking the dog for a short walk down the street.

In site of it all, I found that I DO enjoy the weather here. Even though there are days I have to keep reminding myself of that fact!

Old 12-05-2007, 01:39 AM

751 posts, read 1,178,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saisri View Post
Its my third winter here and before that I was in MI not a better place interms of winter either. But i love MN for everything else and so I cant make that decision to move and also did not find a warmer place with all the plus points of MN. any places out there which is MN minus winter?
Like the OP said, he moved to California. Probably the only warm state that would have more to offer than Minnesota. Most of the other warm states are pretty crappy for the most part. I can see why he is glad he left Minnesota, temperature in LA today was 71 F sunny, no humidity.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:32 AM

1,149 posts, read 5,635,465 times
How are most warmer states pretty crappy? I'm not being critical of what you've written. I would like you to elaborate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
Most of the other warm states are pretty crappy for the most part.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:02 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
This is one reason I'd love to go back to MN in the winter. I was just there in October, and it was beautiful. A very dear friend of mine lives in Maple Grove; I wouldn't mind putting down roots close to her. However, because I've been an L.A. County resident all of my life and have zero experience dealing with extremely cold weather, I'd have to spend more time in a MN winter to make an informed decision. I should probably also go there in the summer to see if I'm eaten alive by mosquitoes!

The threat of earthquakes obviously isn't enough to deter many people from moving to my part of the country. At least your weather is visible every winter!

Old 12-05-2007, 07:05 AM

24 posts, read 80,317 times
I miss Minnesota. Been living in Tennessee for 20 years; the weather is very mild, it almost never snows, and when it does it isn't significant.

The lack of preparation for snow is always amusing, though. "10 inches! The whole city's at a standstill!"

Old 12-05-2007, 07:40 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,419 times
saisri, you'd have to specifically tell us what you like about MN for suggestions.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:42 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,419 times
We are a family of snow-lovers. It took my daughter 3 hours vs one-half hour to get home last night and she said, though it was very aggravating, she would never move where there wasn't snow. This happens, I'd say, at MOST, 5 times during a winter, though. We haven't had the kind of snow/blizzards of yesteryear.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:58 AM

751 posts, read 1,178,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
How are most warmer states pretty crappy? I'm not being critical of what you've written. I would like you to elaborate.
Lived in NM, AZ and TX- None of these states offer the same quality of life. Everything is so backwards, you deal with a lot more uneducated, trashy people. Spent much time as a tourist in FL, NV-same thing, everything is slow, chaotic, local services are subpar, lots of trashy, ignorant and unfriendly people. Have travelled extensively through the South and the lack of infra structure is also obvious, roads are crappy, you deal with a lot more ignorance etc. California on the other hand, happens to be one of the few states I would move to from Minnesota with no hesitation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul