Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 01:02 PM

416 posts, read 559,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
That's got to be really difficult to live with. I couldn't imagine. I'm 100% sure that, if I had an intolerance to gluten, I'd be more than happy with Domino's. Just pass on the canned tomatoes! If Domino's hadn't used canned tomatoes, I would have never started this thread.

#1. They're mushy and gross tasting.

#2. As a foodie who loves to cook and experience all different kinds of foods, never have I seen anyone, in any country, put canned tomatoes on a pizza. Granted, it doesn't register on the scale of problems in the world. Not even close. But it's just not done. If you're making a homemade pizza and want to do it, that's one thing. But to SELL it, especially without disclosure, is wrong.

#3. I'm not only a foodie, but I've studied nutrition for 20 years. They're in the Top Three foods that people should never eat because of the cans themselves. Because of the acid in tomatoes, the cans must be lined with BPA (bisphenol-A), a synthetic estrogen. As if that's not bad enough, it gets worse. The acid in the tomatoes breaks down BPA and puts it into the tomatoes.

BPA canned foods have been conclusively linked to serious health problems, including:

• Heart disease
• Cancer
• Diabetes
• Reproductive and sexual problems
• Obesity
• Cognitive and developmental problems
Good post. I've made gluten free pizzas at home. They taste really good, certainly infinitely better than domino's. Not very expensive to make either. You can buy the flour at Whole Foods, probably Trader Joe's as well or Amazon. Bob's Red Mill version is good and costs around $4 for the equivalent of a 16".

Coming from NJ/NYC I am *very* picky about pizza and would take my gluten free pizzas over any of the brands mentioned in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 02:23 PM

49 posts, read 79,347 times
Quote:
#2. As a foodie who loves to cook and experience all different kinds of foods, never have I seen anyone, in any country, put canned tomatoes on a pizza. Granted, it doesn't register on the scale of problems in the world. Not even close. But it's just not done. If you're making a homemade pizza and want to do it, that's one thing. But to SELL it, especially without disclosure, is wrong.
Huh? I would bet you every other major pizza chain uses canned tomatoes too. And during the winter you'd rather have either out-of-season tomatoes or tomatoes grown more for durability for being shipped thousands of miles than a tomatoes that were picked at the peak of its freshness and then canned?

Old 09-11-2014, 02:39 PM

464 posts, read 803,039 times
Quote:
Thanks. I appreciate you taking the time to explain. I do understand it's an add-on. I read on their site that it helps "cover costs," but they don't say what costs it covers. They don't show, prove or justify the added expense. "Covering costs" is a far too accepted generality by the public.

The money doesn't go to the driver, who pays for the gas and insurance on their own car. Granted, they're given a mileage allowance like they ALWAYS have been. That cost has already been absorbed into the price of the pizza. $2.50 per order? If a driver takes three pizzas out for delivery, why does Dominos need $7.50? They're making a profit on this fee, far above and beyond what they're paying out for any "added costs."

Forgive my skepticism, but I've worked in Corporate America long enough to know bogus fees when I see them. I also recognize bogus explanations pawned off on a public that are far too easily accepting of them. The public will complain for a month and then it will be forgotten. Get the public relations department to ready to go for that month.

For example, how much do you pay at your bank if you want to do a wire transfer? The absolute MINIMUM fee you'll be charged, and this figure is from seven years ago, is $37. The bank tells you it covers their cost to transfer the money. Hogwash. The bank doesn't even perform the wire transfer. The Federal Reserve does it. They send the transfer information to the Federal Reserve (free). That's it. The Federal Reserve then performs the transfer, and the bank's fee is 35 CENTS.

People are way too quick to accept the inclusion of additional fees. I'm not surprised though because everyone is used to being fee'd to death. How much of your own money could you (the general public) save if ONLY all the bogus fees were removed from every service you use, items you buy, food you eat, hotels you stay at, travel costs, etc.?
I'm sure the fee does go at least partially towards the profit margin, but, dude, it's a few extra bucks, it's easy to avoid the charge altogether by just going to pick up the pizza, and finally, you can always give your business to another establishment if it bothers you that much. I can see complaning about bogus fees for certain things, especially when a person doesn't have alternatives, but we're talking about pizza here.

And I don't pay anything for wire transfers, because I use a credit union that doesn't charge the ridiculous fees that banks do. I don't know why so many people still bother with banks.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:14 PM

171 posts, read 195,503 times
This reminds me of the thread regarding the best Olive Garden in the Twin Cities.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:47 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,061,537 times
Lots and lots of places charge delivery fees. I can't speak for any pizza places in Minneapolis but when I lived in St cloud all the pizza places charged delivery fees that I ordered from. You either pick it up yourself, or pay to have it deliver, or go somewhere else. They're a private business, they don't have to "justify" their fees. You have the option to go elsewhere. Comparing this to public funding for a stadium is completely asinine. The majority of delivery places charge a delivery fee. They're charging you for a service they're providing. Don't like it? No ones forcing you to order delivery.

Next thing is they do use real cheese. Sure it's probably not a high grade cheese but it isn't fake. And once again comparing this to school cafeteria pizza is asinine. And I remember back in high school the pizza came in huge boxes and I saw teachers all over the school use the empty boxes for storage, and right on the box under ingredients it clearly said "pasteurized process prepared cheese product"

And yes, Dominos is a huge chain. Of course their product will be inferior to one from a small mom and pop place. Just like expensive craft beer is better then cheap Budweiser and just like an expensive small hole in the wall burger joint is better then cheap Mcdonalds. It's not shocking or anything.
People go because it's cheap and convenient. They always have a special, I haven't paid more then $10 for a pizza from a place like Pizza Hut or Dominos in like ever. When I buy a cheap pizza from a place like Dominos Im not "shocked" that it's not as good as a mom and pop place.
Just like the people that go to Taco Bell and are "shocked" it's not as good as some mexican restaurant. What the heck are you expecting for dirt cheap food from a gigantic fast food chain?

And I always love when people say it tastes worse then some $3 frozen pizza. If thats true then just buy the $3 frozen pizza and save yourself the money.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:11 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,094,074 times
Quote:

$2.50 delivery fee? What's that for? It would be more honest to just raise the prices.
I don't want to get into how Dominoes tastes. But why on earth do you think it's ok for walk-in customers to pay for the gas it takes to get your food delivered?

Old 09-13-2014, 11:28 AM

25 posts, read 46,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
I don't want to get into how Dominoes tastes. But why on earth do you think it's ok for walk-in customers to pay for the gas it takes to get your food delivered?

Agree. I would think most places that offer delivery service on anything would tack on a fee in some way or other.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:37 AM

2,271 posts, read 2,649,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
Lots and lots of places charge delivery fees. I can't speak for any pizza places in Minneapolis but when I lived in St cloud all the pizza places charged delivery fees that I ordered from. You either pick it up yourself, or pay to have it deliver, or go somewhere else. They're a private business, they don't have to "justify" their fees. You have the option to go elsewhere. Comparing this to public funding for a stadium is completely asinine. The majority of delivery places charge a delivery fee. They're charging you for a service they're providing. Don't like it? No ones forcing you to order delivery.
I'll start by saying that I understand exactly where you're coming from. I promise you, I do. I will even go so far as to admit that I'm disappointed in myself for starting this thread because I'm actually NOT a negative person 90% of the time. The canned, diced tomatoes just set me off and I drudged up Domino's every (valid) fault. Honestly? That's not cool. But, neither are canned, diced tomatoes. From that I can't back down!

But, I have to address a couple things you said.

1. You couldn't possibly have read my post about the high bogus fees company's invent just to make more profit. I explained why I commented on the delivery fee. This is a field I'm very well acquainted with. That's why I said it would be more HONEST if they just raised their prices instead of pawning off bogus excuses for them that aren't true. Also, if they don't have to justify the extra charges, why do they continually try to, and lie about it? THAT'S the problem I have with it. It's not so much the fee as it is the deception behind what they feed the public about it. Ultimately, it hurts the drivers because those fees affect tip amounts. You say they're charging me for a service they're providing. True. But they were already charging for that when there WASN'T a fee named for it. They just did it honestly by raising their prices to make up their delivery expenses. Now we're paying for it twice - in prices and in bogus fees. If you don't think they raise their prices to help with delivery costs, you're dreaming. They didn't lower prices when the delivery fee came about. What they're doing is trying to make up for OTHER expenses (advertising, mostly) that have nothing to do with delivery. If they need to, that's fine. I completely understand that. But do it HONESTLY and just raise the price. Don't invent bogus fees and try to pawn them off deceptively.

2. Yes, I can go somewhere else and I do exercise that right. You make it sound like I order from them weekly and complain about it every time. They got one shot with me after years of staying away from them. They sent me a generous coupon so I thought I'd give them a shot. It was a one time thing. I didn't like it, so I'm going elsewhere.

Quote:
Next thing is they do use real cheese. Sure it's probably not a high grade cheese but it isn't fake. And once again comparing this to school cafeteria pizza is asinine. And I remember back in high school the pizza came in huge boxes and I saw teachers all over the school use the empty boxes for storage, and right on the box under ingredients it clearly said "pasteurized process prepared cheese product"
Name one brand of supermarket cheese, the cheapest stuff, that puddles into a liquid when melted? Even generic store brands of mozzarella cheese holds it's shape and consistency when baked. They advertise "real" cheese but are you also aware of how food companies stretch, exaggerate, and twist words to make their product sound better? For example: Domino's makes a "gluten-free" pizza. Then, in the fine print, on a completely different page, they say, (copied and pasted quote) "Domino's DOES NOT recommend this pizza for customers with celiac disease. Customers with gluten sensitivities should exercise judgment in consuming this pizza."

I had to dig deep to find it, but I found a list of their ingredients with nutritional info. They give this information for everything EXCEPT their mozzarella cheese. Not a word about that. Their cheddar cheese is touted as "real." Gee, could THAT be why they're legally allowed to say they use "real" cheese? It's the cheddar. It's definitely NOT the mozzarella.

Quote:
And yes, Dominos is a huge chain. Of course their product will be inferior to one from a small mom and pop place. Just like expensive craft beer is better then cheap Budweiser and just like an expensive small hole in the wall burger joint is better then cheap Mcdonalds. It's not shocking or anything.
People go because it's cheap and convenient. They always have a special, I haven't paid more then $10 for a pizza from a place like Pizza Hut or Dominos in like ever. When I buy a cheap pizza from a place like Dominos Im not "shocked" that it's not as good as a mom and pop place.
Just like the people that go to Taco Bell and are "shocked" it's not as good as some mexican restaurant. What the heck are you expecting for dirt cheap food from a gigantic fast food chain?
What's shocking to you may not be shocking to others. It's subjective. I'm shocked people readily accept everything at face value without digging deeper to separate the advertising BS from the truth.

Using canned tomatoes on a restaurant purchased pizza is not only shocking, it's inexcusable. A frozen pizza WOULD have been preferable to fresh with canned tomatoes. Had Domino's disclosed they served canned tomatoes, I wouldn't have ordered it. I called Pizza Hut, Papa John's, Papa Murphy's, Little Ceasar's and a handful of mom-n-pop places and they ALL said that they have NEVER used canned diced tomatoes. They were also shocked when I told them why I was asking.

Taste is subjective. Taste in movies, books, food... anything. Everything. Taste is subjective. For example, I love Taco Bell a LOT. I'd rather eat there than most Mexican restaurants I've been to. I know more people probably hate Taco Bell than love it, but I'm not one of them.

Quote:
And I always love when people say it tastes worse then some $3 frozen pizza. If thats true then just buy the $3 frozen pizza and save yourself the money.
Hindsight, especially on a one time purchase, is 20/20.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:03 PM

617 posts, read 1,202,051 times
I tried Pizza Studio while at the MoA and was very happy with it. Their gluten-free crust was great, as well as the price. If only they expanded out to the Seattle area...

Old 09-14-2014, 12:40 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,686,824 times
Default Best Pizza joints in the Twin cities

How bout it?

My wife and I are coming back in a few months and didn't get to experience any a few weeks ago.

I figure that close to Wis. and Chicago you have got to have some that arn't New York style or Wolf Gang Puck inspired.

Yes I can do Yelp but you people in the Twin Cities don't seem to be as avid about using it as out here based on the number of reviews I saw for things I did lookup in August.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul