Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 09:35 PM

321 posts, read 861,351 times

Advertisements

I'm still seeing some reasonably-priced studios around Stevens Square and the Wedge, which hints that that area (pretty much fringes of uptown) might have a good opportunities-to-meet-people to price ratio. But it's a bad commute to Eagan unless you can make one of those reverse commute routes from the 46th Street station work. The heart of Uptown probably costs way more.

The Blue Line runs REALLY FAST between around 50th down to Franklin, so if you did want to pay the rent premium to be close to the light rail, you could live near 46th, 50th, or the VA stations and have a super short car commute across the bridge with no jams during rush hour (!) and also a fast train ride to the West Bank of the U, Seward, and even downtown Minneapolis. But that area is a VERY nice neighborhood AND on the light rail, so you'll be paying like a double rent premium. If it were me, I'd look maybe 1/2 mile away from one of those stations, it's a short bike ride and you can take your bike on the train.

Highland Park is also a remarkably fast and trafficless commute across 2 bridges (once the construction is finished). But it's a very desirable area, so you'd be paying a rent premium there. Unless you're down on West 7th, which has some bad apartment complexes but likely good ones as well.

St. Paul is generally much less expensive than Minneapolis, but also has much fewer activities for young people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 09:55 PM

4 posts, read 4,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
And a light rail ride to downtown MPLS for more bars, restaurants, bands, etc. with stops on the UMN campus if you want to hit when the Badgers come to town for a game or hit the college bars in Dinkytown.

If not for the work in Eagan (Rueters?), I'd go with Uptown as a possibility as well. But Uptown to Eagan and back daily would be painful.
Correct. Uptown and back would be painful (25 min), but where else? Not sure if there's any other way. Someone else said warehouse district (he said it would be similar vibe). Obv living in Eagan would be cheaper and less painful. Yet, would I meet people my own age, living in that area? I just feel like it might be worth the commute for the time, to live in Uptown or Warehouse. Am I wrong?

Old 08-03-2015, 11:08 AM

431 posts, read 449,781 times
I liked the area around Eat Street. Although I am not sure it would be the most fun for a person just out of school.

I found an apartment there I wanted to buy, and hung out for a weekend to get a feel for the area. It seemed very empty at night.... and even during the day. This is ok for me since I'm a solitary troll but does not seem like a good place for meeting people. I just mention this because supposedly this is one of the more popular parts of Minneapolis. It seems like there's a huge drop off in activity level between the most popular parts and the second most popular parts.

Personally I would suggest to just live in the area with the most young people regardless of your commute. I think that would be in Uptown. It seemed teeming with young (and older) people of all kinds. The Lyndale Brewery was packed to the brim. "Hipsters" and "bros" and everyone in between.

If you find the commute is too awful then you can move into a better location the next year. I think if you live in an easy commute area with no young people around you will be lonely and hate your life. I did that once in another city, and it was miserable.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:32 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
I think it will be worth the commute. It won't be THAT bad.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:45 AM

10 posts, read 10,435 times
Anywhere near Grand Avenue in Saint Paul. About the same prices as uptown, similar demographics, and a much better commute time to Eagan.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:40 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,708,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I think it will be worth the commute. It won't be THAT bad.
No kidding. 25 mins is a walk in the park compared to many commutes in many metros. And young, no kids... no big deal. Live where you want and drive the extra 9 minutes.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:12 AM

182 posts, read 197,421 times
I think it's more than 9 extra minutes. What would the route even be--would it involve 35W or 494? It's straight down 35E from St. Paul--much simpler. This is actually the time of life when you're not supposed to saddle yourself with a tough commute--people tend to do that AFTER kids, not BEFORE, but I would agree with the idea of avoiding living in Eagan!

Old 08-06-2015, 12:54 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times
I wouldn't seriously consider Uptown. The commute is completely unnecessary. I'd look at the Lowertown are in Downtown St Paul by the new Saint ballpark, at the new apartments across from the Science Museum on Sheppard Road (technically not in DT or Lowertown, but just a couple blocks away & they're overflowing with young, single 20-somethings). I'd also look at Selby-Dale/Cathedral Hill/Grand Ave areas in St Paul proper. All of these areas have plenty of young people, plenty of restaurants/bars/cafes & are all a straight shot up 35E to Reuters. I drive for a living & there's no way on earth I'd drive Uptown to Reuters in Eagan everyday if I didn't have to. Brutal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul