Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 11:05 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,070,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
One advantage of doing your own snow removal is that it's great exercise. Another is that, at least here in my neighborhood, it's a time to see your neighbors and catch up with them. As for vacation times, we take care of our neighbors' behind us when they're gone and they take care of our property. It's worked well for us.
That is the case on our street after work. Kids come out and play, parents throw beer bottles and cans in a snow bank and get to work on driveways and sidewalks (and clearing out for those who cannot or are away) and then find the beer. Occasionally, someone will have pulled out their portable fire ring and get a bon fire going in a driveway.

I am a morning person (not by choice - it's just what my body does). Shoveling alone at 5 a.m. on a quiet, windless winter morning while still dark is really a nice way to start the day for me. Usually within five or ten minutes, I am shedding layers, even in January. Even better when the dog would hang out with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 11:32 AM

878 posts, read 1,207,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
It's actually fairly common on new cars these days. The silver car in the photo above had one and we bought that back in 2008 or 2009. Also had heated headlamp washers which I found to be pretty close to useless in winter.
Good to know-- we're relatively recent transplants (from South Florida), so while we've always had heated seats in all of our vehicles, heated steering wheels haven't been on our radar nor wishlist until now.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:32 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,070,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellysbelly View Post
Good to know-- we're relatively recent transplants (from South Florida), so while we've always had heated seats in all of our vehicles, heated steering wheels haven't been on our radar nor wishlist until now.
Heated side mirrors - I had a late '80s VW Jetta with them and they worked beautifully in upper Midwestern winters. Haven't had them since (but we've only bought one new car since and was not a factory option).

Old 10-30-2015, 02:23 PM

264 posts, read 313,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus1ander View Post
You do not need an engine block heater in the Minneapolis-St Paul metro area. Even in the worst winter of recent memory (2013-14) where we had morning temperatures of -20 degrees, both of our cars still started fine. If you keep them in the garage, even without heating it, the natural insulation of the garage will keep the inside temperature significantly higher than the outside air temperature.

Heated garages in this area is not necessary. Its a waste of energy unless you plan on working in your garage during winter. Some people have workshops that they use year-round. Thats the only reason to have a heated garage in my mind.
I agree that a block heater is not necessary here, but winter tires - or at least some training on how to drive on the snow and ice - is highly advisable.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:07 PM

906 posts, read 1,767,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvoyd View Post
I agree that a block heater is not necessary here, but winter tires - or at least some training on how to drive on the snow and ice - is highly advisable.
Agreed, I've been a strong advocate for winter tires on many of the related C-D threads over the last couple years.

+1 to a heated steering wheel. I have one and coupled with heated seats, there's no need to pre-heat the car prior to driving. My wife's car does not have this option, and even with gloves my hands get very cold driving her car.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:00 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,772,842 times
I've had both and attached is worth it's weight in gold but we did not choose based upon that criteria. It really is a significant time saver though. No waiting for your car to warm up, no getting all the snow and ice off and no freezing your tush off.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:03 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,772,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus1ander View Post
Agreed, I've been a strong advocate for winter tires on many of the related C-D threads over the last couple years.

+1 to a heated steering wheel. I have one and coupled with heated seats, there's no need to pre-heat the car prior to driving. My wife's car does not have this option, and even with gloves my hands get very cold driving her car.
Let me preface by saying I know NOTHING about cars. I was always told you need to warm up your car because it's easier on the engine. Is this not true?

Old 10-31-2015, 09:28 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,781,845 times
You should warm it up for a couple of minutes after you start it (when it's cold outside) but after that you're just wasting gas. I usually let it run till fast idle lets off, then go.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:43 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
I've had both and attached is worth it's weight in gold but we did not choose based upon that criteria. It really is a significant time saver though. No waiting for your car to warm up, no getting all the snow and ice off and no freezing your tush off.
I think you're comparing garages in general to parking outside. A detached garage will also keep the snow and ice off your car.

And letting a modern car run until the engine is heated up just wastes fuel. You only need to run it for a minute or less to let the oil completely circulates. Some people like to run their car with the heater on until it's toasty warm inside, but a coat, gloves, and heated seats (and steering wheel) can keep you warm just as well.

Last edited by Glenfield; 11-01-2015 at 08:53 AM..

Old 11-02-2015, 06:49 AM

113 posts, read 276,341 times
One advantage for the detached garage is you get to know your neighbors! So often in the suburbs, you won't meet your neighbors because they go in to their garage, shut the door, and then in to their house. I find you talk a lot more with your neighbors when you have to go outside to get to your garage. Just a small thing, but I do think it hold some truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul