Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 03:00 PM

50 posts, read 61,518 times

Advertisements

MN is the absolute worst place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 05:03 PM

878 posts, read 1,208,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobrown View Post
MN is the absolute worst place to live.
Yes, it's absolutely horrible to have a strong job market paired with relatively affordable housing and excellent schools; along with all four major sports, a great restaurant scene, and an educated populace. Plus a significant number of Fortune 500 companies, low incidence of natural disasters, and consistently ranked among the best places to live, work and play.

Minnesota isn't perfect-- no place is. And, I'll give you that the winters can be brutal (this past weekend's -30* windchills were no joke), but the ABSOLUTE WORST PLACE? Hardly.

Oh, and I'm not native to Minnesota-- so this isn't a passive aggressive post. It's just sarcastic (as a 5th generation New Yorker, I'm fluent in sarcasm).

Old 01-21-2016, 01:45 AM

20 posts, read 33,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellysbelly View Post
Yes, it's absolutely horrible to have a strong job market paired with relatively affordable housing and excellent schools; along with all four major sports, a great restaurant scene, and an educated populace. Plus a significant number of Fortune 500 companies, low incidence of natural disasters, and consistently ranked among the best places to live, work and play.

Minnesota isn't perfect-- no place is. And, I'll give you that the winters can be brutal (this past weekend's -30* windchills were no joke), but the ABSOLUTE WORST PLACE? Hardly.

Oh, and I'm not native to Minnesota-- so this isn't a passive aggressive post. It's just sarcastic (as a 5th generation New Yorker, I'm fluent in sarcasm).

You must be from Buffalo or Upstate or some equally brutal depressing town in the boondocks of New York. No self-respecting NYC girl would praise or even admit to living in Mnpls/Minnesota. I can only imagine that you either have no options to move out of here, thus you praise this dreadful place to convince yourself--to disguise your own misery OR perhaps you really are from the boondocks and Minneapolis is as good as it gets for ya! Either way, people are entitled to their opinions and experiences... that's what makes life so beautiful! So rather than sitting here trying to convince us (and yourself ) how amazing Mnpls is, maybe you should work more on your "sarcasm" and a little less on the passive aggression.

Till then, Ciao!

Old 01-21-2016, 06:47 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalgurl-stuck in-Mnpls View Post
You must be from Buffalo or Upstate or some equally brutal depressing town in the boondocks of New York. No self-respecting NYC girl would praise or even admit to living in Mnpls/Minnesota. I can only imagine that you either have no options to move out of here, thus you praise this dreadful place to convince yourself--to disguise your own misery OR perhaps you really are from the boondocks and Minneapolis is as good as it gets for ya! Either way, people are entitled to their opinions and experiences... that's what makes life so beautiful! So rather than sitting here trying to convince us (and yourself ) how amazing Mnpls is, maybe you should work more on your "sarcasm" and a little less on the passive aggression.

Till then, Ciao!
3:45 am. Must be PUI- posting under the influence- again.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:41 AM

760 posts, read 883,700 times
As others have mentioned, there is a lot of hype here, and I think it is because a lot of people who move here are from very small towns in MN, ND, WI, etc. I have a feeling that it is one of the reasons why some areas are a little too stuck up...one of the reasons why I stopped going out in uptown near the lakes.
But other than the mediocre restaurants, I have to say everything here is nice. Nothing is amazing, nothing is terrible, it's just pleasant and flat.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:02 AM

87 posts, read 105,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
As others have mentioned, there is a lot of hype here, and I think it is because a lot of people who move here are from very small towns in MN, ND, WI, etc. I have a feeling that it is one of the reasons why some areas are a little too stuck up...one of the reasons why I stopped going out in uptown near the lakes.
But other than the mediocre restaurants, I have to say everything here is nice. Nothing is amazing, nothing is terrible, it's just pleasant and flat.

Accurate.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:10 AM

878 posts, read 1,208,035 times
Quote:

Till then, Ciao!
Hilarious. Try Manhattan (Upper West Side, to be exact). I've also lived in Montreal, Toronto, Chapel Hill, Princeton and South Florida-- so, so sorry to disappoint, but I've never lived in the boonies.

Have plenty of options (the company I work for is headquartered in NYC) and I work remotely, so I am free to relocate wherever I choose. My husband is a hockey coach, so MN makes sense on multiple levels for our family.

I have no need to convince myself or anyone else-- you don't like it here? Great-- there are 49 other states and hundreds of countries to chose from.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:13 PM

871 posts, read 1,088,940 times
Quote:
You must be from Buffalo or Upstate or some equally brutal depressing town in the boondocks of New York. No self-respecting NYC girl would praise or even admit to living in Mnpls/Minnesota. ..
Till then, Ciao!

Remember, nobody can like something Socalgurl dislikes. Somehow, there must be something wrong with them, or some explanation why and how their opinion is not valid. She is the measure of all things. I still can't figure out how she has such trouble getting along with people here, though- maybe people here were just over-awed by her greatness.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:51 PM

242 posts, read 433,175 times
Quote:
Hi, I am from Southern California (Lived in SD, OC, LA) and I moved here 2 years ago. I briefly lived in Boston/Portland Maine area and DC metro. By far and I mean literally by the furthest margin I absolutely hate living in Minneapolis. This area is unlike any other place I have been too and I am not talking about the weather either. Let's look at the cons:

CONS:
- The people: you will never meet group of people more passive aggressive, reserved, back-stabbing cliquish than Minnesotans--FACT! "Minnesota-Nice" is an euphemism for extreme passive-aggression, cold and indirect and unwelcoming behavior that is so common here. The passive aggression and the general lack of courtesy is so prevalent that even drivers will run you off the road-- Minnesota has the highest accident rates in the country and it reflects on their auto insurances. You don't believe me check out the links I will post below.

- The roads: People joke that the roads were designed by drunk Irish man. Again I have yet to see such unorganized, hazardous roads in my life til I moved here. For ex. when you merge into freeways you merge right into traffic-- there is no designated merging lanes like you would see in California or DC or even Boston for that matter. Exiting from the freeway can either be on the left or right (there is no telling which one it is and until its too late). Freeway lanes change from 4 to 3 to 2 or even 1 lanes unexpectedly. City roads can become 1 way outta the blue... the same road can be 1 way in one street and 2 way on the next street.

-The auto-accidents: I have seen more car accidents and wrecks here in 2 years then for the past 20 years of my life. You will see cars missing the front or back, and severely wrecked on the sides, even some have holes and people drive around in them like it's nothing. It so common to even see major accidents in small neighborhood roads- its unbelievable!! Again the reason-- people here don't know how to drive and bring their passive aggressive behavior to the road. Believe me when I say you will learn what it means to have road rage here.

-The housing: Dingy, outdated and dark. Most don't have any amenities to speak of, no indoor laundry no pools or hot-tubs or gyms to speak of. Parking is hassle and parking tickets are given out like it's candy.

-Landlocked- Literally. You will understand what this means, the true meaning of the word. There is no place to run too when you're overwhelmed by the isolation. There are no nice beach towns or major cities near by. There is no scenic drives you can take to clear you mind. There are no nice mountains to hike. It's forever brown, flat land without any noteworthy architect. Depressing is a real thing here. MN has one of the highest mental illness in the country

I can write all night long of the cons (pm me if you have specific questions) but to sum it up... if you want to live a place with passive aggressive, reserved indoors group of people then MN is for you. If you want to have the hardest time of your life making genuine friends then MN is for you. If you like drinking culture then MN is for you (everything here revolves around the bar since there isn't much else to do) If you want to be stuck indoors for all year around except for few days in July/August then MN is for you. If you want to live a place where the classy and the unclassy people are mixed, where the wealthy and poor are mixed, where you cant tell whose college educated and whose a thug then MN is for you. If you like cold gloomy days that blend with the nights for 85% of the year then MN is for you. And most of all if you want to live a place where you will feel unwelcome and isolated no matter how hard you try then MN is for you.

PRO:
-Jobs. thats about it.

Check out this extensive blog about Minneapolis/St.Paul from outsiders perspectives:

http://minneapolis.about.com/od/citi...lovehate_2.htm

Vagablonde Bombchelle: Top 10 things I hate about Minnesota

I have lived in Milwaukee, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Minneapolis, and now north Texas. I loved my time in Minnesota and still consider it "home". I have run into countless people who aren't native Minnesotans who 100% agree with the whole "passive aggressive" thing to the fullest extent (just had a conversation about it 20 minutes ago with a business partner). The interesting thing is that I never bring it up in conversation - the other person/people I'm speaking with always say how beautiful Minnesota is but how difficult it can be to actually make true friends there. The funny thing is that at the time I never seemed to feel it nor agree with that stereotype all that much. I think I could have done a better job reaching out to make friends outside of work but I will say that I believe I can count my "true" Minnesota friends on one hand (or even a few fingers!).

Old 01-22-2016, 01:05 PM

20 posts, read 33,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
I couldn't agree more! Everyone here is from the boonies!!! And the restaurants are absolutely beyond terrible! I guess the one positive is I learned how to cook since moving to MN- I can't remember the last time I went out and had a great meal! I stopped trying. And one more thing don't ever try eating sushi here--it will be the biggest disappointment of your life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul