Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 02:05 PM

4 posts, read 15,631 times

Advertisements

Hello, Hope all is well with everyone.

I just wanted to hear people thoughts on these two cities. Whatever you think is important to bring up. My main question refers to are these areas great for families?, schools?

Thanks

Side random question; whenever i bring these two areas up, people mentioning that the cars there are "nice" What kind of cars are we seeing in these two areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 02:38 PM

367 posts, read 545,159 times
Both cities offer fantastic schools and are great areas for families if you're looking for a suburban environment. Both of them have the reputation of being two of the wealthier suburbs in the Twin Cities (with Edina being more so). Eden Prairie has a "newer" feel to it and is more spread-out and auto-oriented whereas Edina is older and more compact and has a very nice walkable downtown at 50th and France (where it shares a border with Minneapolis). Other parts of Edina are more auto-oriented and sprawled (such as the France Ave strip south of Crosstown 62).

Again, both communities are very nice but it really depends on what qualities you're seeking. Are you looking to move specifically to one of these cities? Do you want a traditional suburban or a more urban setting? Is commuting a factor? The more specific information you can provide, the better we can answer your question to determine which town is likely a better fit for you.

As far as cars, residents of Edina and Eden Prairie who maintain high incomes may be more likely to own a luxury vehicle such as an Audi or Lexus, and thus I'm assuming you're referring to the fact that you may see these types of expensive cars in more abundance in either city than you would elsewhere.

Old 12-12-2016, 04:03 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,706,778 times
Edina feels like an East Coast-style wealthy neighborhood. Eden prairie is post-70s development with cul du sacs, strip malls and major retailers.

Eden Prairie is similar to several other suburbs (Maple Grove, Woodbury, Lakeville) with the notable exception of a very wealthy Country Club development. North of Highway 5/212 in EP is older, more trees, larger lots, homes built from the 60s-90s. Feels more like Minnetonka. South of 212/5 are newer, larger homes, some cookie cutter some highly custom. Built out 80s-00s.

EP is a large and very well-run school district. Excellent parks and community amenities. Trails, lakes and parks all over.

Edina is a 'step above' all other burbs in the twin cities. Excellent schools. Beautiful older homes and new custom-built homes on small tear down lots, with a few smaller homes still there. France ave has a ton of retail but can be extremely congested. 50th and France is a cute downtown area, walkable shops and restaurants. Edina also borders the nicer neighborhoods of Minneapolis, and is close to the chain of lakes.

In both communities you will see mid-priced cars up through expense luxury vehicles. I will say demographically Edina is wealthier and the top of the 1% is more prevelant there. Also Edina is a bit older demographically. More baby boomer/empty nesters. Eden Prairie is more Gen-X business professionals with young or high-school aged kids.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:59 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,695,327 times
Both are nice areas. Edina has an "old money/private schooly" feel to it. It's different from Eden Prairie in that it backs up to Minneapolis, and thus parts of the city are more upper class urban (vs. suburban). Edina is very pretty, centrally located, desirable and expensive. It's the type of area that would have a Cheesecake Factory and Sur la Table store, both of which it actually does, lol. Edina carries a rich/snooty connotation for better or worse, but if I had the money I would live there.

Eden Prairie is also nice, but more of your typical strip mall suburb. It's also one more ring out from the city core. Whereas Edina has more of an elitist reputation, Eden Prairie has more of an upper class suburb reputation.

Both are good areas, however if money wasn't an issue I'd pick Edina if that helps.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:08 AM

101 posts, read 142,743 times
Use to Live in Minneapolis and visit frequently.

Edina and Eden Prairie are in the southwest corridor of the metro. The southwest portion is known as the wealthiest (Even though there are plenty of upper class areas on other parts of the metro including Lake Minnatonka. Edina is the wealthiest suburb of the twin cities and the very first upscale suburb. Older houses and newer executive mansions dominate this suburb. Eden Prairie is an extension of Edina.
Thinking from a historical standpoint, the wealth started in Lake of the Isles and Kenwood area. As Minneapolis expanded, wealth continued to move southwest and Edina formed. Soon after, the wealth continued south toward the outer beltway towards Eden Prairie.

Old 12-13-2016, 04:15 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,653,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Both are nice areas. Edina has an "old money/private schooly" feel to it. It's different from Eden Prairie in that it backs up to Minneapolis, and thus parts of the city are more upper class urban (vs. suburban). Edina is very pretty, centrally located, desirable and expensive. It's the type of area that would have a Cheesecake Factory and Sur la Table store, both of which it actually does, lol. Edina carries a rich/snooty connotation for better or worse, but if I had the money I would live there.

Eden Prairie is also nice, but more of your typical strip mall suburb. It's also one more ring out from the city core. Whereas Edina has more of an elitist reputation, Eden Prairie has more of an upper class suburb reputation.

Both are good areas, however if money wasn't an issue I'd pick Edina if that helps.

I have one set of cousins in Eden Prairie and one in Edina. You described them perfectly.

On the East Coast, Edina is more like Garden City NY, Mountain Lakes NJ, Greenwich CT, Bronxville, NY.

EP is more like an average, middle class or slightly above, 'burb. Think Ridgewood NJ. Not charming but a decent outer ring suburb.

Old 12-13-2016, 04:24 PM

6,541 posts, read 7,121,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton1433 View Post
Use to Live in Minneapolis and visit frequently.

Edina and Eden Prairie are in the southwest corridor of the metro. The southwest portion is known as the wealthiest (Even though there are plenty of upper class areas on other parts of the metro including Lake Minnatonka. Edina is the wealthiest suburb of the twin cities and the very first upscale suburb. Older houses and newer executive mansions dominate this suburb. Eden Prairie is an extension of Edina.
Thinking from a historical standpoint, the wealth started in Lake of the Isles and Kenwood area. As Minneapolis expanded, wealth continued to move southwest and Edina formed. Soon after, the wealth continued south toward the outer beltway towards Eden Prairie.
That belongs to North Oaks, which has a median income of $150k, and has about zero poverty. It's the private city not many talk or know about.

Old 12-13-2016, 04:52 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,706,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
That belongs to North Oaks, which has a median income of $150k, and has about zero poverty. It's the private city not many talk or know about.
North Oaks isn't really the same thing though. Edina is an actually city. NO is an exclusive neighborhood meant to keep the poor people out.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:13 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,875,784 times
Edina is rich by Minnesota standards my roommate at Vanderbilt was from Edina and he was upper middle class but I do not how wealthy it would be on the East Coast or even in Florida.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:55 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,193,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Edina is rich by Minnesota standards my roommate at Vandeincome is much higher Ibilt was from Edina and he was upper middle class but I do not how wealthy it would be on the East Coast or even in Florida.
Both Edina and Eden Prairie are easily rich compared to most Florida cities. Average household income in MN is much higher than FL and then factor in that Edina and EP are both much higher than the MN average. Agree though, that some affluent East Coast cities are richer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul