Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 06:57 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietBlue View Post
Probably because it is mostly older people who can afford those houses. Plus, a lot of people in their 20's-30's aren't as interested in those types of homes as previous generations were. A lot of people in that age group are buying homes in Minneapolis or St. Paul.
Generally, houses in a nice area of the city are more expensive than houses if the same size in a suburb. I'm always surprised at how much house $500,000 buys in an outlying suburb.

We've had several young families move from our neighborhood to the suburbs for better public schools. All of them got bigger and newer houses for the same money.

That said, there is a selection of smaller houses and more affordable housing in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 07:51 PM

464 posts, read 803,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Generally, houses in a nice area of the city are more expensive than houses if the same size in a suburb. I'm always surprised at how much house $500,000 buys in an outlying suburb.

We've had several young families move from our neighborhood to the suburbs for better public schools. All of them got bigger and newer houses for the same money.

That said, there is a selection of smaller houses and more affordable housing in the city.
I agree that, all other things being equal, the same house will cost less in the suburbs than it would in the city. But tastes are definitely changing too. A lot of people are very willing to buy a smaller and older house in the city if they like the neighborhood. I also thought enrollment in Minneapolis public schools was increasing and that they've had to reopen a few that had closed?

Old 08-23-2017, 08:20 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,701,850 times
I've actually read a ton of articles recently how millennials aren't moving to the city like we thought, but are rather looking for urban amenities in the suburbs (tap houses, walkable, public transport, etc), which does seem to be true. At the end of the day, they still want newness and good schools with attached garages.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:52 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,070,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
I've actually read a ton of articles recently how millennials aren't moving to the city like we thought, but are rather looking for urban amenities in the suburbs (tap houses, walkable, public transport, etc), which does seem to be true. At the end of the day, they still want newness and good schools with attached garages.
There is a lot to be said for attached garages in Minnesota. And taprooms. And combining the two.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:02 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietBlue View Post
I agree that, all other things being equal, the same house will cost less in the suburbs than it would in the city. But tastes are definitely changing too. A lot of people are very willing to buy a smaller and older house in the city if they like the neighborhood. I also thought enrollment in Minneapolis public schools was increasing and that they've had to reopen a few that had closed?
This is correct. Still the reason given by all the families who moved from our block was the schools.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:55 PM

9,742 posts, read 11,163,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Or a cross between the two. At night, the refinery lights twinkle like stars and the petroleum odors add a mystical air to the atmosphere.
I'm a little late to the party. But the petroleum odors are intentionally emitted to keep the "less desirables" out of their fare city. All part of the master plan! .

Old 09-12-2017, 04:59 PM

5 posts, read 8,894 times
We checked out the parade of homes and are really impressed with Brandtjen farm. Anyone have any reason NOT to go there?

It's so different from any neighborhood we've experienced. I am used to more wooded cul-de-sac neighborhoods, husband grew up on 3 acres in the country. This place is so different from what we had in mind, but we think we might love it, at least while the children are in school. I'm trying to get any last bit of information about the area before making a decision.

It looks like a large portion of the new sales there will be way beyond our price range, which we hope would help our home value down the road. We'll be in the middle if we move forward with a build there, with minimal upgrades in the home, just going for the sq ft and beds/baths.

Thanks again!!!

Old 09-12-2017, 08:43 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,701,850 times
Only downside is that it doesn't have great highway access. Pilot Knob is getting exponentially more busy. But I live across the street in Cobblestone, and I love the area!

Old 09-14-2017, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,022 times
Reading your post from 9/12. Don't rule out Burnsville or Apple Valley. There are some nice areas that might fit closer to what you are used to in all of the surrounding areas. Burnsville has some nice areas like Carriage Hills and Keller Lake area down by Keller Lake and Crystal Lake south of County 42 and east of 35W that are still in District 196 and are more leafy than a new development. Easy access to 35W and 35E. If you want to spend a bit more ($400-$600) the Oaks area of Apple Valley is tough to beat. Tons of mature trees. My wife grew up in that area and it reminds me of parts of Minnetonka and Edina at a lower price point. That area is just east of 77 an south of McAndrews and north of 140th. Lakeville up by LNHS is very nicely maturing also. Have a friend in there that loves it. New is nice, but the hard part is that you really don't know what you have until the development has matured after 7-10 years. In a more mature neighborhood you will have a better idea of what you are getting long term. Good luck!

Old 09-25-2017, 02:32 PM

10 posts, read 8,182 times
You definitely can't go wrong with either! District 196 is a great district, which Rosemount is located in. My husband and I are currently building a home in the Spirit of Brandtjen Farm neighborhood, which is city of Lakeville but will be district 196. We have really enjoyed our building process and would recommend it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul