Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 02:12 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,749,163 times

Advertisements

All newcomers should watch this video called "How to talk Minnesotan." to acclimate themselves.

Video: How To Talk Minnesotan | Watch TPT Documentaries Online | Twin Cities PBS Video
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 05:28 PM

701 posts, read 1,709,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
We've been here just a few months now; hubby and I just had this conversation the other day! The comments being made to us such as "you sure have moved around a lot", "why did you leave Colorado", "why Saint Paul" are annoying. We've lived in four different states and this is the only place where we've come across this. Seeing this attitude towards us, one who moved here from another American state, does make me wonder how those from Somalia are being treated. Would those comments be made to them?
I'm not a native Minnesotan and, like you, I've lived in several other states. I don't see why these questions are odd/rude. People are just making small talk and the fact that you are new to the area is an easy subject matter to pursue.

Old 09-09-2017, 06:13 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnMomma View Post
I'm not a native Minnesotan and, like you, I've lived in several other states. I don't see why these questions are odd/rude. People are just making small talk and the fact that you are new to the area is an easy subject matter to pursue.
Exactly. I know from experience that this is not the only place in the country -- or world, for that matter-- where people ask little questions like this in an effort to start a conversation.

I don't see how the Minnesotans can win with these folks. Ignore them and they want you to get to know them. Try to get to know them and they want you to ignore them.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:06 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,749,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Exactly. I know from experience that this is not the only place in the country -- or world, for that matter-- where people ask little questions like this in an effort to start a conversation.

I don't see how the Minnesotans can win with these folks. Ignore them and they want you to get to know them. Try to get to know them and they want you to ignore them.
MnMomma didn't watch the video. If she had, she would have been able to interpret & understand this, knowing it's nothing but police small talk.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:23 PM

587 posts, read 562,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnMomma View Post
I see your point in that regards. The ones who say that are those who have never left MN. It seems to me they are happy/content with what they have that they cannot comprehend why someone would move, even after explaining that moving "on" is a way to move "up" (the salary ladder)

Old 09-10-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
I see your point in that regards. The ones who say that are those who have never left MN. It seems to me they are happy/content with what they have that they cannot comprehend why someone would move, even after explaining that moving "on" is a way to move "up" (the salary ladder)
Perhaps people are repelled by your condescending attitude. Trust me, we all understand that one can often make more money by relocating, we just don't all put money above community and happiness as you appear to have done.

Last edited by Glenfield; 09-10-2017 at 07:06 AM..

Old 09-10-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Perhaps people are repelled by your condescending attitude. Trust me, we all understand that one can often make more money by relocating, we just don't all put money above community and happiness as you appear to have done.
Please explain to me where in my post I stated that I've put money above happiness. That is completely your personal judgement of me based on how you've lived your own personal life, not mine.

You all have proved to be perfect examples of Minnesotans who are intolerant of others who come from a different life experience.

If a Somali woman moved here in order to provide a better life for her family, would you all call her snotty and neurotic? I moved here under that same principle. But since I moved here from Colorado, I guess that makes me a "greedy American" in your eyes.

Old 09-10-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Please explain to me where in my post I stated that I've put money above happiness. That is completely your personal judgement of me based on how you've lived your own personal life, not mine.

You all have proved to be perfect examples of Minnesotans who are intolerant of others who come from a different life experience.

If a Somali woman moved here in order to provide a better life for her family, would you all call her snotty and neurotic? I moved here under that same principle. But since I moved here from Colorado, I guess that makes me a "greedy American" in your eyes.
I didn't say you were greedy. I also never said you were snotty nor did I say you were neurotic. If you have an issue with those characterizations, please take it up with the poster who made them.

Now as to what I did say. You said that Minnesotans do not understand than people move for more money. I say we understand they do but many people-- here and elsewhere-- choose not to make that trade off. Rejecting it is different than not comprehending it, as you put it.

Yes, I made a personal judgement about you. You moved for money. You express dissatisfaction with the area you moved to. 2+2=4

I'm not intolerant of you. I simply observe that you appear to have made a choice in life. So be it. It's your life. Just quit complaining about it.

And put your race card back in the deck. This has nothing to do with race.

Last edited by Glenfield; 09-10-2017 at 01:11 PM..

Old 09-10-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
I didn't say you were greedy. I also never said you were snotty nor did I say you were neurotic. If you have an issue with those characterizations, please take it up with the poster who made them.

Now as to what I did say. You said that Minnesotans do not understand than people move for more money. I say we understand they do but many people-- here and elsewhere-- choose not to make that trade off. Rejecting it is different than not comprehending it, as you put it.

Yes, I made a personal judgement about you. You moved for money. You express dissatisfaction with the area you moved to. 2+2=4

I'm not intolerant of you. I simply observe that you appear to have made a choice in life. So be it. It's your life. Just quit complaining about it.

And put your race card back in the deck. This has nothing to do with race.

Wow, you made one completely broad judgment of me based on one comment I made about being annoyed.

Regarding the race card, I will refer you to the OP's post, #17 in this thread.

Quote:
Which raises an important - perhaps doubly important point - besides neurotic newcomers, how are you treating those who happen to be in the minority in your state??

Old 09-10-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Wow, you made one completely broad judgment of me based on one comment I made about being annoyed.
Yes, we get to do that. You judged other Minnesotans based on the "annoying" questions they asked when they tried to engage you in small talk and you had less information about them than I had about you.

Quote:
Regarding the race card, I will refer you to the OP's post, #17 in this thread.
So what? Race was irrelevant when the OP tried to make it an issue and irrelevant when you tried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
View detailed profiles of: