Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 12:26 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,106,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
Yes quality of life is higher in MN based upon several metrics i.e. Schools, health of citizens, employment rate, number of Fortune 500 companies, number of parks per capita, etc;

Let us not forget taxes are very high. Property taxes are one of the highest in the nation, income taxes are second to California for highest earners, inheritance taxes are ridiculous... so you pay for what you get. I've lived in states with no income tax (WA) and states (AZ) with conservative taxation and I'd choose MN in a landslide. I appreciate not seeing homeless encampments on major interstates and city centers and am grateful for good public schools. My husband likes the fi-tech industry in Minnesota and I like the robust medical community. So we pay our dues and count our blessings and live by our family in MN.
^^^THIS^^^

You are absolutely correct.

Nobody likes paying taxes but the only thing worse than high taxes are high taxes with nothing to show for it or no taxes with nothing to show for it, like here in Alaska.

Sure, we have no state income tax and no state sales tax but we also have a very limited and crumbling infrastructure, under-funded schools, very little economic growth (how many businesses choose to locate to a state with poor infrastructure and a poorly educated workforce?), very few parks and playgrounds, and very limited public safety and social services.

I would gladly pay similar taxes just have a comparable quality of life, like you Minnesotans are blessed to have.

P.S. - the best weekend my wife and I ever had was in the Twin Cities and included a long hike from the Minnehaha Falls down to the Mississippi River and back during Columbus Day weekend in 2016.

The weather was perfect, the scenery was beautiful, and we still talk fondly about that trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 01:19 PM

810 posts, read 852,184 times
Did a quick Google search and MN is not even close. the #1 state is Hawaii

The state I live in Oregon is 28 and MN is 32. But some places the price of a house is a lot higher than others.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:56 PM

10 posts, read 11,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mon2Min View Post
I found an interesting article: https://www.minnpost.com/politics-po...among-best-get

I've always consistently heard about how Minnesota is always ranked highly in quality of life, best place to raise a family, best drivers, best doctors and health care, etc..

Now, my question to you, is, do you agree? Do you think Minnesota is a great place to live? Do you agree that all these rankings are accurate? Tell me your opinions..
Been to 50 states and 30+ countries. Not place I'd rather be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul