Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 02:34 PM

4,870 posts, read 6,935,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Good summary. I’ll take the “standard rank-and-file democrat” comment with a grain of salt. I have more conservative roots but admittedly have mostly voted Democrat in local and state elections since the Minnesota Independence Party disintegrated. You can believe otherwise but honestly the only reason I’m registered as a Democrat is to have access to local primary elections knowing that this is really the only way I have a voice and any voting power within Minneapolis city limits.

I believe I have mentioned on here before that one of my favorite local politicians is John Kriesel who is a Republican. So yeah, rank and file Dem would be an exaggeration of some of my left leaning views and half-hearted attempts to defend people like Omar and Franken.
You and I have this one big thing in common, except in reverse. I used to be Democrat, but changed to Republican many years ago (about 30) because I found that I couldn't participate in the primaries in very conservative South Dakota. Up until a little over 10 years ago I was still pretty much voting for the candidate and not the party. In SD we actually DID have some Democratic representatives that had the ability to think for themselves and who actually did consider the people they represented. Those days now are long gone.

The way the Democratic block is now in national politics and what I consider the insane direction and policies they back, you would have to threaten me and the well being of my family to get me to vote Democrat.

Old 01-10-2020, 02:41 PM

4,870 posts, read 6,935,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
You seem to be under the impression that it is the vote of the immigrants in our district that has propelled her into office. That is not the case. The Somali population in Minneapolis has become disenchanted with her as she no longer loves in accordance with the rather strict moral teachings of Islam.

And our citizens who came here from Latin America was more inclined to support Patricia Torres Ray in 2018.

Nor is it the vote of the standard rank and file Democrats, like our friend Cruz Azul Guy, that she has a lock on. That group leaned more toward Margaret Anderson Kelliher in the primary.

Omar enjoys the support of the Democratic Party power structure, especially her patron and fellow sort-of Muslim, Keith Ellison. Her campaigned is fueled by out of state money and from the limousine liberals who live in Edina, and on the shores of Lake Minnetonka and the big houses on the lakes in Minneapolis.

She has a huge number of intersectionality points; she is a woman, black, a Muslim, and now divorced and living with a powerful Democrat lobbyist and campaign consultant.

Make no mistake. She is very powerful in Democratic circles. Rather than represent some fringe group she represents the very heart of the current Democratic Party. She will be a formidable candidate in 2020, and unless she is indicted for one of her many offenses, or in some way embarrasses the national party— not an easy task—she will again be a tool that her wealthy white supporters use to assuage their collective racial guilt.
Interesting post. I can't wrap my mind around what the mindset is of these people that back her. It must be so painful for the Edina elite to live with themselves and their white privilege every time they purchase their new Mercedes and/or Jaguar.

Old 01-10-2020, 03:05 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,716,900 times
Quote:
Good summary. I’ll take the “standard rank-and-file democrat” comment with a grain of salt. I have more conservative roots but admittedly have mostly voted Democrat in local and state elections since the Minnesota Independence Party disintegrated. You can believe otherwise but honestly the only reason I’m registered as a Democrat is to have access to local primary elections knowing that this is really the only way I have a voice and any voting power within Minneapolis city limits.

I believe I have mentioned on here before that one of my favorite local politicians is John Kriesel who is a Republican. So yeah, rank and file Dem would be an exaggeration of some of my left leaning views and half-hearted attempts to defend people like Omar and Franken.
I didn’t at all mean anything disparaging by the term standard rank and file Democrat. I am thinking of the blue collar union workers that were the heart and soul of the Democratic Party in the 60s and 70s. Those are my roots from my upbringing in Detroit. Of course, a lot of them became either part of Nixon’s silent majority or Reagan Democrats.

Here in Minneapolis, I see that group more as public school teachers and health care workers. Those groups are largely unionized and many of my friends and neighbors are in that group.

Anyway, I don’t see that as a negative term. If the standard rank and file Democrats set party policy, I might be able to vote for a Democrat, but party policy is set by the far left and rich liberals at this point. From our exchanges, I don’t see you as part of that group.

Old 01-10-2020, 03:31 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,381,304 times
Quote:
I didn’t at all mean anything disparaging by the term standard rank and file Democrat. I am thinking of the blue collar union workers that were the heart and soul of the Democratic Party in the 60s and 70s. Those are my roots from my upbringing in Detroit. Of course, a lot of them became either part of Nixon’s silent majority or Reagan Democrats.

Here in Minneapolis, I see that group more as public school teachers and health care workers. Those groups are largely unionized and many of my friends and neighbors are in that group.

Anyway, I don’t see that as a negative term. If the standard rank and file Democrats set party policy, I might be able to vote for a Democrat, but party policy is set by the far left and rich liberals at this point. From our exchanges, I don’t see you as part of that group.
No worries and no offense taken. And if you consider Walz and Klobuchar rank and file then yeah I guess that’s where I lean these days. If, however, another compelling candidate were to come along to break up the partisan status quo like Jesse Ventura (sans kooky conspiracy theories) then count me in.

Old 01-10-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
No worries and no offense taken. And if you consider Walz and Klobuchar rank and file then yeah I guess that’s where I lean these days. If, however, another compelling candidate were to come along to break up the partisan status quo like Jesse Ventura (sans kooky conspiracy theories) then count me in.
Walz and Klobuchar are both abortion supporters and that’s a no go for me. I could probably vote for Collin Peterson who is pro-life. Support for abortion has become almost mandatory for Democrats as there are only seven Democrats in Federal office who identify as pro-life.
https://www.democratsforlife.org/ind...didates?id=807

Old 01-12-2020, 10:42 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,763,810 times
Let me keep it REAL simple for ya. Ever read any of the Koran? If not I suggest you do so. You and I are considered "Infidels". That said in the Koran in many areas it is well covered that an Infidel is to be "dispensed" with (I won't use the word actually used). Needless to say they want Infidels wiped out. The way I see it the huge influx of "them" in this country is with one ideal purpose in their eyes. To dominate and to destroy. Just take a look at what has happened with "them" in Sweden, France, England and elsewhere in the world where the vast Muslim influx has occurred. Sorry but you won't see any GOOD thing happening from it. Increased rapes, murders, beating and worse. Go stick your head in the sand if you prefer, but don't ignore the obvious. It's NOT prejudice, it is reality. It is part of their "religion". If one is a Muslim they are to adhere to the tenants of their religion which is the Koran. It ain't pretty but get a clue and read it for yourself if you don't want to hear it from me. Allowing them in our government is like inviting cancer into your body.

Old 01-13-2020, 03:59 PM

2,400 posts, read 755,958 times
Has she started on anything she campaigned on yet?

Old 01-13-2020, 09:51 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,126,993 times
Quote:
Walz and Klobuchar are both abortion supporters and that’s a no go for me. I could probably vote for Collin Peterson who is pro-life. Support for abortion has become almost mandatory for Democrats as there are only seven Democrats in Federal office who identify as pro-life.
https://www.democratsforlife.org/ind...didates?id=807

Let me be clear about this.

No one "supports" abortion. So please stop lying about "Democrats."

No Democrats want abortions. No Republicans want abortions.

This issue is that THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD NOT DICTATE THE DECISIONS OF AN INDIVIDUAL WOMAN.

What she does with her own body is HER OWN RIGHT. THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A FREE COUNTRY.

Republicans scream about "government interference" in our lives. Well, then. JUST SHUT UP AND STOP THE GOVERNMENT FROM TRYING TO DICTATE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN A WOMAN BECOMES PREGNANT.

By Republican's own mantra then, DON'T INTERFERE WITH A WOMAN'S RIGHT TO CHOOSE WHAT SHE DOES WITH HER BODY.

IT'S HER CHOICE. Mind your own EFFIN business. And that is simply the Democratic position.

Last edited by Astron1000; 01-13-2020 at 10:11 PM..

Old 01-14-2020, 06:15 AM

4,363 posts, read 6,535,732 times
^^^ sayeth the Democrat

Its about protecting the rights of the unborn and I hardly want to pay for that abortion.

[Mod cut: personal]

Last edited by elnina; 01-21-2020 at 12:53 AM..

Old 01-14-2020, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
Let me be clear about this.

No one "supports" abortion. So please stop lying about "Democrats."

No Democrats want abortions. No Republicans want abortions.

This issue is that THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD NOT DICTATE THE DECISIONS OF AN INDIVIDUAL WOMAN.

What she does with her own body is HER OWN RIGHT. THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A FREE COUNTRY.

Republicans scream about "government interference" in our lives. Well, then. JUST SHUT UP AND STOP THE GOVERNMENT FROM TRYING TO DICTATE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN A WOMAN BECOMES PREGNANT.

By Republican's own mantra then, DON'T INTERFERE WITH A WOMAN'S RIGHT TO CHOOSE WHAT SHE DOES WITH HER BODY.

IT'S HER CHOICE. Mind your own EFFIN business. And that is simply the Democratic position.
BS

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/...-abortion.html

https://shoutyourabortion.com/writin...f-my-abortion/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...iticizes-bans/

There are hundreds if not thousands of examples like these of leftists proclaiming the virtues of abortion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul