Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 05:51 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,377,717 times

Advertisements

One in North on the 4000 block of Gerrard ave and one in South off of 35th and Portland. Are we on the midst of another bad year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 09:21 PM

630 posts, read 2,432,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
One in North on the 4000 block of Gerrard ave and one in South off of 35th and Portland. Are we on the midst of another bad year?
Yep, even though we live out in one of the suburbs, it's one of the reasons that I want to leave Minnesota, and raise my daughter elsewhere.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:55 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,590,323 times
Default trying to understand your logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBound View Post
Yep, even though we live out in one of the suburbs, it's one of the reasons that I want to leave Minnesota, and raise my daughter elsewhere.

TNBound, I mean no disrespect, but because there are murders in certain sections of a city in which you don't even live, why would this cause you to move from a state? I'm guessing the murder rates in Memphis and Nashville are higher than Minneapolis. If that's so, how do you justify to yourself wanting to move to Tennessee?

I can think of several reasons as to why someone might want to move from MN, but your post is the first time I've heard crime in Mpls. inner city neighborhoods as a reason.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:11 PM

2 posts, read 8,510 times
Default Murders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Well, it could be worse. I just moved from Laredo, Texas and we had almost 200 murders down there. A lot of them are on the other side of the border but it carries over to our side. Finally moved out of there. 12 years was enough.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:01 PM

157 posts, read 716,446 times
Murders are shockers here. But we're staying here for at least another five years. House is paid for. In great woodsy area near downtown. Altho realty market is at a standstill, depending on who you talk to and the day of the week, our house will continue to rise in value. On bus route. Nice 1/2 walk to downtown from here. We figure the first offer for $10 million and we're headed for Long Island.

Only two murders? Hey, it's not quite nighfall yet! Be patient. Maybe we can get more b4 the week is out.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:09 PM

195 posts, read 1,080,299 times
Lucky laredo, There were only 26 murders in Laredo in 2006. I guess the media hype down there must have made you think that there where more??

I just read that Detroit had more than 400 last year, and it is only roughly double the size of Minneapolis, could you imagine if Minneapolis had that kind of problem??? then, maybe you people would have a legitmate reason to leave because of crime.

I can't beleive that you are leaving the state, Minnesota is consitantly rated one of the top two states to live in by morgan quitno's comparison of 29 differant factors. You honestly think that your gonna find it better elsewhere??? Have fun!!

Old 01-06-2007, 10:25 AM

Detroit is 2.4 times larger than Minneapolis.

Old 01-06-2007, 10:30 AM

195 posts, read 1,080,299 times
with the continued population loss it's probably more like 2.3 or less. Roughly

Old 01-07-2007, 11:27 AM

touche. Bottom line though is Detroit's crime is significantly higher than that of Minneapolis. I think everyone can agree with that.

Old 01-07-2007, 03:18 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,822,678 times
Default Crime in Minneapolis

I currently live in Ann Arbor, MI, an island in an otherwise economically depressed state. This is a small, expensive college town and I am considering moving back to Minneapolis, where I went to graduate school 25 years ago. I've been doing research on the city and plan a visit in the next couple months.

Looking at this website,Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

it is clear that crime in Minneapolis is very high compared to other cities. It's important to look at crime rates and not just the number of murders or robberies.

Based on this website, Minneapolis has a higher murder, rape, assault, burglary, and robbery rate than New York, in fact, in every category. Comparing Mpls to a few other cities, such as Chicago, except for murder, Mpls has higher crime rates in every other crime category than Chicago.

I read more info on crime in Minneapolis using Google, and learned that part of the problem is that gangs have moved into many mid-sized cities, like Mpls, from places like chicago and Detroit, because it's "easy pickings" -- i.e., robberies and murders are easy because the police force is overwhelmed. I read that Mpls has installed survellience equipment that tracks the origin of gunfire, for example, but apparently the police force has been cut over the last 5 years due to resources being reallocated to homeland security. I would argue that city crime is part of "homeland security," but that's another discussion.

In any event, I'm attracted to Mpls because of the culture, good health care, large universities and potential in the job market. The crime is a factor I'm considering as well, and I'm surprised at how much the crime has increased in the last 10 years in particular.

On my visit, I hope to be able to talk to people who live there about their safety when downtown.

I'd be interested in hearing from people who live in Minneapolis in the downtown area or city neighborhoods about how they feel about safely. I'd love to live in the city which would be more interesting for a single person than the suburbs, but the crime statistics are not encouraging.

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 06:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul