Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 07:52 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,166,034 times

Advertisements

I appreciate both sides of the equation here. I am obviously not here looking for gratuitous tales of woe (and I fully understand that bad experiences float to the top of mind much quicker than happy ones or non-events), but I don't want to go into the new chapter of our lives with rose-tinted glasses, either.

It's a little surprising to me that East Lansing, MI, a place my wife and I feel generally safe in (she went to school at MSU in 2014-2019) and one where she would routinely bike/walk home from campus (about 2 miles one way) at 10 p.m. is ranked far below Minneapolis on Crimegrade, same with Ann Arbor. What also sets my mind at ease somewhat is that Neighborhood Scout seems to indicate that the Uni area is Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site , as well.

Last edited by Yac; 07-26-2022 at 10:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2022, 11:07 PM

4,363 posts, read 6,535,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Just had a conversation with a friend of mine who used to live in Hiawatha but hasn't in years (though he does/did have friends in the area). Just curious - how big of a grain of salt do I need to take this with?Checking Neighborhood Scout you get a pretty grim picture (St. Paul being safer than 4% of American cities, Minneapolis - than 2%), but if you look at other crime stat websites, like Crime Grade, St. Paul is safer than my current city of Ann Arbor. Just trying to make sense of all this.
Okay, I recently moved from the Ericsson neighborhood. Felt safe enough. Three blocks from the lake, one block from the creek. Once the sun went down, all bets were off. Yes head on a swivel. Across 55 or Hiawatha, that area from the Light Rail tracks to the river are much more dangerous than it was a couple years ago, or before GF. Spots can be fine and just as quickly you're in an iffy area. Anywhere there. Your friend, although over exaggerating, had a point, his old haunts - not good anymore.

However across the bridge in Highland Park, it's completely different. Almost a different world.

When I became full time 'remote', I got the hell out of dodge. I'd rather live rural, and without care than live in what was once a great city but is now completely screwed up.

Old 07-27-2022, 08:48 AM

More specific question re safety: I like going for 4-7 mile runs once or twice a week. That's a pretty wide radius and I do sometimes run around dusk time so that I don't die of heat stroke. Any areas I should definitely avoid in doing so? I mean, I can definitely just do 3.5 miles up the river and back down, but it would be nice to be able to vary the routes sometime.

Old 07-27-2022, 09:05 AM

Also, a more fun question: I know from prior research that Minnesota is home to a fairly large number of people with Nordic heritage. Curious if that translates into Swedish/Finnish/Norwegian/etc. restaurants and grocery shops. I found a couple on Yelp, but have to believe there's more than Finnish Bistro in Saint Anthony Park or Ingebretsen's in what looks like Corcoran.

I managed to find a couple "Russian" stores, as well, which is going to be a big deal from us as we're originally both from everyone's least favorite country. Arkady's in Winnetka Hills and Minsk in Eagan. Curious if anyone's been and can share opinions.

Plus, generally interested in any other ethnic food stores/restaurants we wouldn't normally find in MI. Somali? Lao?

Old 07-27-2022, 09:31 AM

And another one - what's my best bet in terms of finding a recreational soccer league? Is Meetup still a thing? I've had some luck with it in MI, but haven't used it in ages.

Old 07-27-2022, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Also, a more fun question: I know from prior research that Minnesota is home to a fairly large number of people with Nordic heritage. Curious if that translates into Swedish/Finnish/Norwegian/etc. restaurants and grocery shops. I found a couple on Yelp, but have to believe there's more than Finnish Bistro in Saint Anthony Park or Ingebretsen's in what looks like Corcoran.

I managed to find a couple "Russian" stores, as well, which is going to be a big deal from us as we're originally both from everyone's least favorite country. Arkady's in Winnetka Hills and Minsk in Eagan. Curious if anyone's been and can share opinions.

Plus, generally interested in any other ethnic food stores/restaurants we wouldn't normally find in MI. Somali? Lao?
I have to recommend Kramarczuk Sausage Company - Polish Deli with other East European staples. The Restaurant/Deli is located on E Hennepin near University.

Old 07-27-2022, 11:12 AM

Quote:
More specific question re safety: I like going for 4-7 mile runs once or twice a week. That's a pretty wide radius and I do sometimes run around dusk time so that I don't die of heat stroke. Any areas I should definitely avoid in doing so? I mean, I can definitely just do 3.5 miles up the river and back down, but it would be nice to be able to vary the routes sometime.
You can run until you're heart's content and you seriously don't need to limit it to by the river. There are trails everywhere around you. You can run across the bridge into Minnehaha Falls Park (lots of trails) and all the way to Nokomis all along a bike/trail system. Dusk is okay, it's quite populated even until then as there are others wanting to wait for the temps to drop.

Old 07-27-2022, 10:29 PM

6,565 posts, read 7,148,840 times
Quote:
The areas right to the east of Mississippi Blvd are super nice too…great for running. West bank of the river with lake street bridge as a crossing on the north end. Along the river is really nice on both sides.

Old 07-27-2022, 10:32 PM

Quote:
And another one - what's my best bet in terms of finding a recreational soccer league? Is Meetup still a thing? I've had some luck with it in MI, but haven't used it in ages.
My neighbor plays in league, he’s 28…I could ask him if wanted. They play at Como Park (zoo is near this) next train tracks.

Old 07-27-2022, 10:38 PM

Quote:

Moscow on the Hill right by the Cathedral in St Paul. This is nice area all around. The patio at WA Frost across is voted one of the best in town. The Handsome Hog kiddie corner is owned by a guy who’s won Top Chef the tv show. La Grolla a block down is one of the best Italian places in town as I got this info from my restaurant owner friend from Palermo, Sicily who worked there. The St Paul Curling Club is next to that.

https://moscowonthehill.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul