Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2023, 07:35 AM

427 posts, read 430,701 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am new to the Minneapolis area. I have lived all over the country. Why do the freeway signs rarely mention city names? Are you supposed to just remember all these highway numbers? Is it just me? I love the area but I think the directional signage’s need a lot of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2023, 11:10 AM

4,361 posts, read 6,528,616 times
If that's the big issue you have with the Freeway system, you're good to go.

Until you're used to where you are... use GOOGLE MAPS to direct you to your (fill in city name) destination.

You'll get used to it soon enough.

Old 09-28-2023, 02:05 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8089 View Post
Hello. I am new to the Minneapolis area. I have lived all over the country. Why do the freeway signs rarely mention city names? Are you supposed to just remember all these highway numbers? Is it just me? I love the area but I think the directional signage’s need a lot of work.
I'm not sure what you mean? Can you give us an example of signage that's confusing to you?

Old 09-28-2023, 04:24 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
I see signage for cities all the time? Like city limits and control cities.

Old 09-28-2023, 06:29 PM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times
Quote:
Yeah, things can be a bit confusing at first. For example, I didn't understand the interstate segments I35W and I35E. A sign with "W" usually indicates that it goes west, right? But no, south and north of the Metro, Interstate 35 (which goes N and S) splits into a western branch and an eastern branch in the Metro, so you are still going north or south, but along a separate branch.

And I agree, you have to know the road numbers; for example as you drive through St. Paul along I35E, you will see signs for I94, and Maryland, and Larpenteur, and 36, and I694. Occasionally there will be a city sign; for example, I know that there is a sign for Little Canada, a very small suburb. But along I35E or I694 you don't see signs for Shoreview, for example; you would just need to know to get off on Rice Street, or Victoria, or Lexington to get into Shoreview.

Go to google maps and type in Minneapolis or St. Paul. I like to glance at those so that I can zoom in and out and see where some of these roads go. The interstate segments within the Metro can be quite confusing and when you are flying along at 65-70, along with everybody else, they know where they are going when you don't. There are some roads where you go offramp to the right side, and a few where you go off to the left side; it helps to know in advance.

Old 09-29-2023, 08:54 AM

427 posts, read 430,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
I'm not sure what you mean? Can you give us an example of signage that's confusing to you?
I never used the word confusing. It’s not as easy to pick up on. For example, there’s a lot of signs that say I-94 East but don’t say I-94 East MILWAUKEE which it should say or I-35 South DES MOINES or I-94 West FARGO. None of the I-694 or I-494 signs have cities names that I have seen.

That’s all I’m saying. Maybe it’s something that provide feedback on to your DOT department. I would post photos but this site let you upload.

The directional signage at I-94 at Woodbury say ST PAUL and MINNEAPOLIS. That’s what I’m talking about. Should be much more of this type of signage.

Old 09-29-2023, 12:50 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,067,004 times
Quote:
I never used the word confusing. It’s not as easy to pick up on. For example, there’s a lot of signs that say I-94 East but don’t say I-94 East MILWAUKEE which it should say or I-35 South DES MOINES or I-94 West FARGO. None of the I-694 or I-494 signs have cities names that I have seen.

That’s all I’m saying. Maybe it’s something that provide feedback on to your DOT department. I would post photos but this site let you upload.

The directional signage at I-94 at Woodbury say ST PAUL and MINNEAPOLIS. That’s what I’m talking about. Should be much more of this type of signage.

And the exit signs on 494 going north to meet 94 (in Woodbury) read something like "94 Minneapolis" or "94 West St. Paul" for the westbound lane exit "94 Madison" or "94 East Madison" for the eastbound exit.

Old 09-29-2023, 01:16 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,543 times
Quote:

We actually do show cities on interstate signage, but I-35 South goes to ALBERT LEA (the junction with I-90), I-35 North goes to DULUTH, I-94 West goes to ST. CLOUD and I-94 East goes to MADISON.

I-694/I-494 is a loop, so technically they don't go anywhere except a circle through the suburbs.

Des Moines, Fargo, Milwaukee, etc. are hundreds and hundreds of miles away.

Old 09-29-2023, 01:29 PM

579 posts, read 431,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post

Des Moines, Fargo, Milwaukee, etc. are hundreds and hundreds of miles away.
We have interstate signs in Des Moines listing Minneapolis, Kansas City, Omaha, and Chicago. On those main signs, the only Iowa cities listed (that I recall) are Davenport and Council Bluffs. Maybe they need to be a certain size to be listed (so no Ames or Iowa City), and if you run into a big enough city, that’s what gets used.

Old 09-30-2023, 06:55 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,150,590 times
Quote:
I-94 East MILWAUKEE which it should say or I-35 South DES MOINES or I-94 West FARGO
Where in the U.S. are you seeing these???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul