Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 05:24 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,342,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeinBoston View Post
MN drivers in general are horrendous. I've lived here for 15 years and not a day goes by that I don't see an accident about to occur on my drive to work but for the grace of God. Drivers here drive like they are either loss, confused, or they're just plain stupid. Don't get me started on tailgating either...OMG...you could be out on the road with noone around you, and someone will come up and ride your tail. Talk about passive aggressive, when you honk or flip them off, they don't make eye contact and are really coy.
Well, going by your name you will find that if you end up in Boston that MN drivers look like the best drivers in the world. NO ONE pays attention to standard driving laws in Boston--things like turning left from the far right lane--across 3 lanes of traffic, silly little things like that happen all the time there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 09:46 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,567,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Well, going by your name you will find that if you end up in Boston that MN drivers look like the best drivers in the world. NO ONE pays attention to standard driving laws in Boston--things like turning left from the far right lane--across 3 lanes of traffic, silly little things like that happen all the time there.
No kidding...what was the definition of irony?

Old 12-18-2008, 05:49 AM

987 posts, read 3,821,113 times
Well I guess I'm one of those MN drivers you folks dislike. For the most part we're pretty courteous, and it's rare that I encounter a near miss. Perhaps once a year and that can easily be avoided via defensive driving.

I like how Minnesotans change lanes to allow a car to merge onto the highway. I like how when we're unsure of whose turn it is at the four way stop we always wave on the next. I like it how we stop for people in the crosswalk at Target and Rainbow. I like how most of us aren't too worried about getting someplace on time, and how being on time isn't so much of a big thing here.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:41 AM

56 posts, read 244,780 times
Default No Rush

Well, there are some good things I like about MN driving. I drove in both CA and MN. In CA you have keep up your pace of driving with others whether you like it or not. If the other guys are rushing you also have to rush. Sometimes I dont like to rush and take right lane for relaxed stress free driving and I did not have any trouble with that so far in MN. If I am driving <= posted speed, I seen people over take me on left and keep going. I am generally a defensive driver. I start early for anywhere I go, so that I dont need to rush and I generally drive =, - 2 to posted speed and seems people dont care.

But the bad part is, it seems to me that drivers are not really not well organized or synchronized driving on road. If you know how to maneuver better than the other and if you think that you more skilled than others you just zoom and go. Even when there is lot of snow and icy rain on road I was honked and tail gated by so many commercial vehicle drivers pushing me hard. Thats the one thing I hate.

So the request is, if you are great driver and the other next to you is not a great driver or defesive driver just allow him/her to drive like that. Dont force and dont drive behind them as if you are gonna hit them. Its better to reach the place than getting into an accident.

I have to really credit the drivers in CA and Atlanta. I think they are more synchronized than us on road.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:46 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,743,920 times
Having lived in other places, MN drivers are bad! They have a lifestyle in which they don't have to be aware and they apply that to their driving. They do whatever they like without looking. Drivers in other cities, do cross over lanes, etc. and don't follow the so-called rules, but the drivers there anticipate this as they are used to it and have learned to deal with it appropriately. Drivers in New York City, for instance, are notorious for pulling up to the car in front of them and braking at the last minute, but their fellow New Yorkers expect this. In a way, it makes for better defensive driving skills.

I've said all along on these threads that traffic here is nothing compared to other big cities.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:04 AM

418 posts, read 907,201 times
Quote:

Oh lord, if I were in Boston, I would take the train to avoid the traffic and drivers. It is horrible there. The silly things like turning left from the far right lane--across 3 lanes of traffic, silly little things like that happen ALL the time HERE.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:07 AM

418 posts, read 907,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
Having lived in other places, MN drivers are bad! They have a lifestyle in which they don't have to be aware and they apply that to their driving. They do whatever they like without looking. Drivers in other cities, do cross over lanes, etc. and don't follow the so-called rules, but the drivers there anticipate this as they are used to it and have learned to deal with it appropriately. Drivers in New York City, for instance, are notorious for pulling up to the car in front of them and braking at the last minute, but their fellow New Yorkers expect this. In a way, it makes for better defensive driving skills.

I've said all along on these threads that traffic here is nothing compared to other big cities.

As a non-native Minnesotan, I would complete concur with this statement. What I can't comprehend here....is it the driver's ed courses that are insufficient? Or is it a learned behavior?

I promise, next time I won't honk or flip any of you off...at least through the end of year.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:55 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,342,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeinBoston View Post
As a non-native Minnesotan, I would complete concur with this statement. What I can't comprehend here....is it the driver's ed courses that are insufficient? Or is it a learned behavior?

I promise, next time I won't honk or flip any of you off...at least through the end of year.
Ok, so just because other drivers expect everyone on on the road to be a bad driver makes them better drivers?? I guess this confused me. It ok to cut someone off in New York because everyone does it but if one or two people do that in MN it isn't ok?

Old 12-18-2008, 05:03 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,743,920 times
Quote:
Ok, so just because other drivers expect everyone on on the road to be a bad driver makes them better drivers?? I guess this confused me. It ok to cut someone off in New York because everyone does it but if one or two people do that in MN it isn't ok?
I'm simply saying they are better drivers because they know what to look for vs. Minnesota drivers. You are not a good driver if you are only used to driving in Minnesota where things run pretty smooth, though I will say that Minnesota drivers know to how to drive in snow as opposed to drivers in some other states. But that is not the point here: A driver who has never learned to drive in a city with chaotic and aggressive drivers is not a good driver. One has to develop all kinds of anticipatory skills leading to defensive skills. If he/she is overwhelmed in that environment, he/she could cause an accident.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:12 PM

987 posts, read 3,821,113 times
Well I don't see the bad Minnesota drivers that everyone sees. I really don't get it. I believe that you folks believe that MN drivers are bad, but I don't believe it. I just got home after driving in bumper to bumer traffic. People wait their turn on the onramp, people get in their lanes early to avoid last minute changes, they don't pass on the right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul