Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 12:04 PM

117 posts, read 377,521 times

Advertisements

DARE…to think for yourself?

I would say that at least half of the people, probably more in the metro area, are not going to have any issues with your habit. As being one of the top 5 states in the country for binge drinking and alcoholic “culture”, you certainly will find a double standard once you get out of the metro and even within the so-called “conservative” areas as well. I moved here from CO which like CA is very liberal about the reef. I am like you as well, smoke occasionally and don’t care what others think. I also tend to keep this to myself or others I can trust. I work a professional job and make a good salary, take care of my family and don’t endanger my son to smoke once in a while. Studies have shown driving “stoned” is not comparable to driving under alcohol impairment, but to each is own. Ultimately you will certainly find like minded people here that will not try to crucify for your habit.

After reading the other posts, I think it is safe to say you wouldn’t want your kids associating with a close-minded family as well. Hopefully the thought police don’t shut this down too. 

And to answer your question, the penalties here for possession have been decriminalized.
MN Marijuana Possession - Laws & Penalties

To be charged with possession, the marijuana has to be on you or within your control. This means that you can be charged with possession even if the marijuana was not in your pocket or on your body. The charge you face depends on the amount of marijuana you were caught with.

Marijuana Quantity Charge Sentence
100 kilograms or more 1st degree controlled substance crime Up to 30 years and $1 million.
50 kilograms or more 2nd degree controlled substance crime Up to 25 years and $500,000.
10 kilograms or more 3rd degree controlled substance crime Up to 20 years and $250,000.
42.5 grams to 10 kilo. 5th degree controlled substance crime Up to 5 years and $10,000.
Less than 42.5 grams Petty misdemeanor, non criminal $200 fine and drug education.

Last edited by kurls; 06-19-2009 at 12:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 12:19 PM

25 posts, read 112,521 times
What are you talking about? Are you replying to another thread and made a new thread by mistake? Did the pot make you do it???

Old 06-19-2009, 12:22 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,367,565 times
Most likely he's replying to this topic:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/minne...minnesota.html

Old 06-19-2009, 12:26 PM

117 posts, read 377,521 times
100 points for Slig. Yes, scrappy doo, err, this is a reply to closed posting. No, the pot didn't cause it. Been a while since I have partaken in the herbal goodness.

*please don't get mad scapperoni, just having a good time* not trying to dis you

Old 06-19-2009, 01:29 PM

989 posts, read 2,961,184 times
Personally, I don't much care if people want to smoke weed as long as it does not get in my way or interfere with my life. I do find it somewhat ironic that somebody would say they do it discreetly and then post it on the Internet. Interesting that a person would choose to engage in behavior that could negatively affect a job or family, and imply that they use it responsibly at the same time.

mod cut

Last edited by golfgal; 06-19-2009 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: please see TOS

Old 06-19-2009, 02:21 PM

812 posts, read 2,172,173 times
I don't care who smokes pot, I simply wanted to make very clear that a person could be impaired without realizing it and drive when they shouldn't. In that thread when I read that a person is fine to drive in 2-3 hours I strongly disagreed and I still do. That is my one and only problem with pot. In many ways I am a Libertarian and I would support legalization if there were a reliable method of detecting impairment while driving, since there is no such method I do not believe it should be legal. I dont' believe an individual is capable of realizing they are impaired at all times.

I am of the mindset that a person can make decision that may be unhealthy as long as it doesn't harm another, driving under the influence of a chemical falls in the range of affecting others.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:01 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,367,565 times
Right but you blowing that way out of proportion ruined the topic, especially since it was largely irrelevant. The OP stated:

Quote:
I would never ever ever go pick up my kid under the influence, and am very careful about that. His daycare is two blocks away, if there were ever any sort of doubt, I'd walk.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:36 PM

812 posts, read 2,172,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Right but you blowing that way out of proportion ruined the topic, especially since it was largely irrelevant. The OP stated:
I made two posts and did not blow it out of proportion, she said it was safe to drive in 2-3 hours and that is one of the last things I would call irrelevant. If she wanted to gauge attitudes in the state then it includes attitudes about how it can impact the community she chooses to live in and driving is a part of that.

I had come back to edit and add that in my first response I had missed where she said she would wait eight hours in a different response and although I wasn't certain of that time frame what she was saying made more sense to me. I was answering the part I quoted about it being gone from the system in 2-3 hours and after she pointed out it was 8 I wanted to point out what I was address and regretfully posted without completing my thoughts. Had the thread continued I would have and it would have been fine, those final posts and lock happened in a matter of minutes.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:56 PM

77 posts, read 305,483 times
i think most people in minneapolis (including the police) know that cannabis is harmless. but it's still a bad idea to advertise your cannabis use if you are married with children. a lot of people just don't get it and you will have problems with them wherever you live. my advice: keep it private, just like your sex life. it is unprofessional/immature to discuss these aspects of your life with most people.

with that said, at least you're not an alcoholic (i'm referring to the OP of the "herb culture" thread), which is a REAL problem in MN. when you compare the damage alcohol does to cannabis....it doesn't even come close. people are gradually waking up to this fact and things will eventually change for those of us who use this harmless, theraputic plant.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:57 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,674,523 times
i smoke weed everyday and i just ran Grandmas Half Marathon. Under 2 hours. Eat that anti-weeders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul