Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 10:31 PM

160 posts, read 454,695 times

Advertisements

Stay out of Brooklyn Park and Brooklyn Center....a lotta crime there....just as there is in any suburbs close to the inner cities. Andover is a nice area....as is Blaine. Coon Rapids is also a good place to live if you want to just have a regular size lot. There is a newer shopping area called Riverdale that is closeby all these cities.

I live in Elk River.....better than all of them, but we only have 16,000 people here. I like the smaller towns, but don't really know what your looking for. If you want to be close to work, you may want to try the three cities I suggested for starters.

Welcome to beautiful Minnesota. Make sure you get up north and go fishing....it's really beautiful up by Brainerd and beyond
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 11:31 PM

109 posts, read 307,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
A lot of people put a lot of stock in the school district, thinking somehow that the school is 100% responsible for education. It's more the quality of the parenting that matters. School is where kids hang out for eight hours.
ditto.

To add onto that, it's also the quality of the student's peers and other people in the community that matter. It's hard for someone to understand that education is important when those around them aren't thinking the same way.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llratke View Post
Stay out of Brooklyn Park and Brooklyn Center....a lotta crime there....just as there is in any suburbs close to the inner cities. Andover is a nice area....as is Blaine. Coon Rapids is also a good place to live if you want to just have a regular size lot. There is a newer shopping area called Riverdale that is closeby all these cities.

I live in Elk River.....better than all of them, but we only have 16,000 people here. I like the smaller towns, but don't really know what your looking for. If you want to be close to work, you may want to try the three cities I suggested for starters.

Welcome to beautiful Minnesota. Make sure you get up north and go fishing....it's really beautiful up by Brainerd and beyond
There isn't always going to be more crime in 'any' of the suburbs that are closer to the inner cities. I really like the safety aspect of living in Roseville. I feel safe here despite the fact that it is close to the inner city. I am not sure how our crime rate compares to other cities but it doesnt seem like very much crime happens here (and I do read the reports).

Shoreview, Arden Hills, New Brighton, Moundsview, and other suburbs that are closer to the metro actually seem pretty safe as well.

Brookyln Park isn't necessarily that bad either. It depends on where you are in BP, after all it is a very big city. I am told the Zane corridor has more crime than other areas of Brooklyn park (I assume around Zane and 77th). My brother lives near Central Park in BP and that seems like a pretty nice neighborhood.

The idea of moving out into the country does guarantee that you wont see as many people (therefore probably less crime), but along with that comes the horrendously long commutes that happen in Minnesota, particularly on snowy days.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:53 AM

3 posts, read 8,764 times
Dear MSPorBust:

I work for ISD 279-Osseo Area Schools and would be happy to help you with any questions you may have about our national award-winning schools, extensive academic and co-curricular opportunities, and outstanding staff. Could I help you arrange a visit to one or more of our schools? Please contact me at welisten@district279.org at your earliest convenience; we're here to help you in your school choice decision.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:57 PM

136 posts, read 384,023 times
Andover has been building pretty rapidly over the past decade, so if you like newer housing, that would be a good place for you. Ham Lake is also building rapidly. Anoka is a pretty established town, but I'm not too familiar with it.

I agree the most with the Mahtomedi and Shoreview suggestions, though.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:06 AM

Ham Lake or Andover might be a long commute, particularly on snowy days.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:12 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llratke View Post

To each his own, I respect your opinion. But personally I'd MUCH rather live in Brooklyn Park or Brooklyn Center than Elk River...and most people who don't love hunting, fishing and Michelle Bachman would probably agree with me.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:39 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,235,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
and maybe even Fridley.
Fridley State of Mind Song

Old 10-09-2010, 09:28 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,064,137 times
Id rather live in Brooklyn Park or Brooklyn Center then Elk River, and I love fishing and hunting!

Old 10-10-2010, 04:42 AM

267 posts, read 558,640 times
You might try a tool like School Matters - SchoolMatters - Home (http://www.schoolmatters.com/schools.aspx/q/page=hm - broken link)

That will give you a little more background about each high school and lets you compare 3 different schools at once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul