Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 06:20 PM

36 posts, read 183,759 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I have a question and any and all responses will be very much appreciated!
I have been looking at mid to large sized metro areas that I would like to start my career in after getting my degree; Minneapolis-St. Paul is no. 1 on my list. I have never been to the city, but plan on visiting next summer/early fall. So here's my question...what are some of the major distinctions or differences of the cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul? Is one city safer than the other? For example, I have heard that in the Dallas-Ft. Worth metroplex, one side is better than the other (never been there, either). Also, is one side more expensive to live in? Please be specific if possible. THANKS ALL!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 09:34 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Each city is unique in its own right. You can't dismiss or praise either one with a broad brush. Each has good neighborhoods, each has bad. You can find all ranges of housing/apartment prices in each. I'd focus on the locations to what you want to be near and choose where to live accordingly.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:24 PM

36 posts, read 183,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Each city is unique in its own right. You can't dismiss or praise either one with a broad brush. Each has good neighborhoods, each has bad. You can find all ranges of housing/apartment prices in each. I'd focus on the locations to what you want to be near and choose where to live accordingly.

Awesome! thanks so much...that was kinda what I was expecting to hear, and that's great!

Old 12-21-2009, 10:32 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times
There is another post that is very similar to this one, but I'm bored so I'll explain my POV again. Minneapolis is more cosmopolitan, diverse, and "busy-feeling" than Saint Paul. Saint Paul is cleaner, more laid-back, and more "historic-feeling".

One person posted before that "Minneapolis is the furthest east West Coast city and Saint Paul is the furthest west East Coast city." I think that sums it up very well. Minneapolis has a very Western vibe and is dirtier, more fun, and more vibrant than Saint Paul. However, some people prefer the quiet, yuppified feeling that Saint Paul offers. I live in Saint Paul but I prefer the lifestyle of Minneapolis. Luckily I live on the edge of both cities so I can play in Minneapolis and live in Saint Paul.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:09 AM

30 posts, read 86,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
There is another post that is very similar to this one, but I'm bored so I'll explain my POV again. Minneapolis is more cosmopolitan, diverse, and "busy-feeling" than Saint Paul. Saint Paul is cleaner, more laid-back, and more "historic-feeling".

One person posted before that "Minneapolis is the furthest east West Coast city and Saint Paul is the furthest west East Coast city." I think that sums it up very well. Minneapolis has a very Western vibe and is dirtier, more fun, and more vibrant than Saint Paul. However, some people prefer the quiet, yuppified feeling that Saint Paul offers. I live in Saint Paul but I prefer the lifestyle of Minneapolis. Luckily I live on the edge of both cities so I can play in Minneapolis and live in Saint Paul.
I've also heard that St. Paul is the last old city of the east and Minneapolis is first of west.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:47 AM

587 posts, read 1,419,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Minneapolis is more cosmopolitan, diverse, and "busy-feeling" than Saint Paul. Saint Paul is cleaner, more laid-back, and more "historic-feeling".

One person posted before that "Minneapolis is the furthest east West Coast city and Saint Paul is the furthest west East Coast city." I think that sums it up very well. Minneapolis has a very Western vibe and is dirtier, more fun, and more vibrant than Saint Paul. However, some people prefer the quiet, yuppified feeling that Saint Paul offers.
That sums it up very well I think!

Old 12-22-2009, 03:34 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,268,041 times
St. Paul = Blue collar, older, more traditional, deep Catholic roots, many families there for generations, old neighborhoods

Minneapolis = Newer, Yuppier, More Profesional Oriented, Liberal, Vibrant Nightlife, Taller Buildings, Lot's of "outsiders" from elsewhere

Read this thread which covers all the exact same topic: http://www.city-data.com/forum/minne...nneapolis.html

Also read this really good article from city-pages: http://www.citypages.com/2009-08-05/...o-lake-street/

Old 12-23-2009, 10:41 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
St. Paul = Blue collar, older, more traditional, deep Catholic roots, many families there for generations, old neighborhoods

Minneapolis = Newer, Yuppier, More Profesional Oriented, Liberal, Vibrant Nightlife, Taller Buildings, Lot's of "outsiders" from elsewhere

Read this thread which covers all the exact same topic: http://www.city-data.com/forum/minne...nneapolis.html

Also read this really good article from city-pages: Minneapolis News - Marshalling into Lake Street - page 1
The City Pages piece is clever, but comparing Lake St to Marshall Ave and using each street to represent each city misses so many important nuances. Lake and Marshall each developed separately: Lake from west to east, Marshall from east to west. Marshall was never intended to be a commercial street. If you want to see diverse commercial neighborhoods in St Paul, you'd need to go to Payne Ave. or University Ave. Interestingly, had the author used University Avenue as his point of reference, and you'd see the ethnic, commercial and industrial neighborhoods of St Paul morph into the serene residential neighborhood of Mpls's Prospect Park, then into the institutional area of the UM campus.

Yes the cities are very different in their histories and development, but to get back to the OP's specific questions about prices and safety, I stand by my original answer that you can find a variety of neighborhood quality and housing costs in either city. Specifically, the downtowns have very different vibes, and there are more interesting neighborhoods to live in for young singles in Mpls (I said more, there are interesting neighborhoods for young singles in St Paul also). Otherwise, you can find pretty much what you want in varying amounts in either city.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:01 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,668,342 times
The bad parts of Minneapolis appear to have reached a nadir, and may possibly be improving based on anecdotes I've heard.

Meanwhile, I feel like the bad parts of St Paul are getting worse and they have a ways to go before reaching rock bottom. There are some very ugly areas of the capital city.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:40 PM

42 posts, read 104,993 times
I agree with all of what was said. It all depends on what type of person you are. I personally feel like St. Paul is where small town people should go for a taste of a big city, and that Minneapolis is for city people looking for a more manageable little city.

To be specific, I live in Mpls, and love it. [mod cut: no advertising] If you are into "the scene" and want to be social, thriftyhipster.com is a good resource, as well as the city pages. The Lake of the Isles area is in the middle of the city, yet very pretty and great for outdoor activity. If you have a dog, there are a million dog parks (best are Minnehaha and the airport dog park). Check out the Art-A-Whirl that happens every year, and the Walker Art Museum has free days as well as free movie showings. In the summer, "movies in the park" are popular in local parks, and we have a lot of beaches (you have to pick and choose which ones are to your liking)... there's a lot more to look forward to, just keep your eyes open!

Good luck in your future career!

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 01-13-2010 at 04:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul