Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 10:38 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,729,919 times

Advertisements

I can't believe I'd never heard of United Noodles! I'm not sure how I missed that (too focused on the Nicollet offerings, I guess); what's the produce selection like there? I'd like to find somewhere in Minneapolis to buy loofah/luffa in edible form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 10:39 PM

160 posts, read 454,595 times
If your ever in Brookly Center, there is an awesome "grocery store for the nations" called Sun Foods off of Brooklyn Blvd not too far from 694. There are tons of Asians, Africans, and Spanish people in there. I'm usually the only "gringo" in the place. It's like a field trip every time I go there. Love it!

Old 05-27-2010, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 5,548 times
Default Mandarin Kitchen

on Lyndale off of 494. THE BEST I am moving to San Diego next month and know there's good food to be had however know I will miss it!

Old 06-10-2010, 09:07 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,120,643 times
The Twin Cities is one of the best areas in the country for Vietnamese food. Try Quang on Nicollet Ave. one of the countless authentic Viet joints on University Avenue in St. Paul. St. Paul also has some good authentic Hmong, Lao, and Thai food, especially in the Hmong International Market (note these are food stalls; not actual restaurants) and other nearby ethnic markets. There are also an awful lot of Asian groceries, both large and small, on University.

For Japanese, I don't know about "authentic", but there are a lot of sushi joints in the Cities, as well as what is apparently the nation's first sake microbrewery / pub. For (Sichuan) Chinese, try Grand Szechuan or Little Szechuan; note that China is a large country with many a great amount of culinary diversity between its different regions, and restaurants specializing in regional Chinese cuisine are mostly lacking.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:32 AM

1,617 posts, read 5,673,286 times
I don't know any particular places for sure, but I have a haunch you could also find a decent place on Lyndale Avenue in Bloomington or Richfield. Just kinda pulling it outta my... However, if you're in Richfield/Bloomington checking around Portland and 494/American Blvd, it's also worth cruise up and down Lyndale if you've got some time to kill.

Since this is a slightly older thread anyway, I'll keep this in mind when I'm in Bloomington (or Eden Prairie) in the near future, and if I see anything, I'll update the thread.

Also of note, I believe there's an Asian grocery in Richfield (S. of 494) off 77th on either Nicollet or Portland, but I could be wrong, as my brain is in a strain at the moment trying to remember.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:32 PM

1 posts, read 5,381 times
I have not found a Japanese grocery store here in MN but if you are looking for authentic asian food, then you can shop off any of the asian stores off University Ave. in St. Paul in Frogtown. That is where most of the asian stores are located. The bigger the store the more variety they carry. That's where I shop when I need authentic asian items for cooking.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:25 PM

2 posts, read 8,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby01 View Post
This is world's away from SW metro area, but the Dragon Star Oriental Foods at 633 Minnehaha in St. Paul may be worth the trip. We don't shop for asian food much, but this place was recommended by Andrew Zimmern, so we checked it out. It was quite interesting, especially the meat department with lots of live seafood, turtles, etc. Once inside this place, you really forget you are in the US.

Here is a link to a list of asian grocery stores in the Metro.
Grocery Shopping 101: Where are there Asian Grocery Stores in the Twin Cities?
Dragon Star is the BEST Asian grocery in the TC. It's in Frogtown; you will find many authentic restaurants too. For Indian grocery, I recommend Pooja Grocery in Columbia Heights. For Middle Eastern, Holy Land. These are both on Central Avenue NE. Many restaurants too.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:38 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,235,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
And there's some level of "authenticity" lost because many ingredients are much harder to get in MN, although again, that seems to be changing. I guess it depends on how authentic you're looking for. I think most places (all?) have been fairly Americanized, or at least have their menus geared towards accommodating American tastes.
Based on my experiences with traveling, I can say that most of what we think of as 'foreign' foods are largely Americanized. I think that most Americans would be upset and or confused if they ordered a pizza in Italy, as it more than likely will arrive as something that is more akin to focaccia bread than a 'pizza' (they tend to use MINIMAL toppings, don't gob on tons of cheese, and tomato sauce is traditionally just crushed tomatoes). Another good example would be Mexican food. I find it interesting that Americans tend to think that Mexican food is all burritos and tacos. It's like thinking that Americans only eat hot dogs, hamburgers, and french fries. Or how Americans think that Japanese food is all sushi. Sushi is a style of cooking, and not particularly a style of dish. Real Japanese food is similar to Korean food. Both are highly recommended.

The biggest difference is with Chinese food. While some dishes are similar, or the same, the majority of what we think of as Chinese food in this country was created by Chinese immigrants working on the railroad back in the day who had to make do with what ingredients that they had. The style and technique of cooking may be the same, but the food offerings are generally different. And, I do not mean to offend anyone on here, but REAL Chinese food is pretty darn gross, at least by American tastes. They tend to enjoy a lot of fat and fermented foods. If you like fried pork skins and the 1000 year old egg, then you will probably enjoy 'real' Chinese food.

But hey, there are plenty of European cheeses that smell like bad feet and taste even worse.

Yummy on Niccolet is the closest thing that I have come across to authentic Chinese food in the TC. Order the Dim Sum if you are feeling brave, some of it is pretty good and you might be surprised at what you actually like.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the majority of what is described as 'Chinese restaurant', at least in Minneapolis, are actually in fact, Vietnamese. Jasmine Deli, for example, is probably the best. Quang received a lot of hype when it opened, but I've always found it to be so-so. Rainbow is considered one of the best, but ironically, I only ate there once and wasn't too impressed. Pho '79 looks like it should be condemned, but serves up the best pho in town. One word of advice: you will get a large bowl of pho. If you cannot finish it, just toss it out. The noodles turn to mush when refrigerated.

Also, most of what you'd think of as 'Chinese' in St. Paul is actually Hmong.

There are many Asian grocers on or near Niccolet and in Frogtown. For the most part, they all sell the same stuff or similar items at the least. Some just offer a wider selection, but United Noodle seems to not only have the best selection, they also offer items that they other stores don't seem to sell. It's kind of hard to find since it is tucked away amongst some warehouses.

There is an Indian store on Central in NE. It might be Pooja, but the one that I am thinking of is not in Columbia Heights. It is, if I recall, on the same block as Holy Land.

There were a few other Indian grocers on Central, but I never been to any of them.

Kings....in....Fridley(?) is the best Korean food I've had in the TC. In fact, it is probably the best Asian food I've had in the TC, hands down.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:42 AM

47 posts, read 93,247 times
Asian grocery -- try Truong Thanh, Shuang Hur

Vietnamese food - Caravelle / Pho 79, or even Pho Tau Bay (select items - periwinkle soup)

Chinese food - seafood palace, mandarin kitchen for dim sum, yangtze for dim sum

Thai - lemon grass, king and thai

Filipino - none (subo sucks)

Korean - Dong Yang in Fridley or Hoban in Eagan

P.S. this is if you want "authentic" if you want the "fusion" aka "bland" version try PF Chang, Leann Chinn

Old 07-02-2010, 09:49 PM

63 posts, read 171,232 times
Dong Yang is FANTASTIC! It's actually a grocery store with a little restaurant in the back. I think it's actually in Columbia Heights, but google maps says Minneapolis Dong Yang Oriental Food - Google Maps The prices are pretty good, the cooking is great, but the hours are bad and it's sort of a self service joint. Shouldn't deter anyone who is looking for a good meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul