Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 06:10 PM

199 posts, read 591,745 times

Advertisements

It sounds like a great town to visit. I'll do a bit of research on some fun events to make a long weekend of it for summer or early fall then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 08:45 AM

73,005 posts, read 62,598,043 times
The only thing I can say to the OP is to give Mpls the old college try. I have only been here once and that was to see my family. No problems for me(other than my aunt's dog). I hear things regarding whether or not Minnesotans are friendly. My own personal experiences have been rather nice when dealing with the Minnesotans I have met(I met them all in Atlanta). Going to the TC area is another matter. There will be a different culture here, different things, but over all, just give it a try. I am realizing that is all I can do as well if I ever move anywhere.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:13 AM

18 posts, read 120,549 times
It's "friendly" sure, but that friendliness can also lead to a "passive agressiveness". Just because people are friendly doesn't mean they don't have negative personas, and unfortunately that can then culminate in a far more frustrating delivery method. I can not tell you how annoying both my professional and social life has been since coming back due to this issue.

As a for instance, you know how many times I've been actually "dumped" since I got back dating wise? Almost zero. Is it because I'm that awesome? no. It's because people are so "nice" that it's difficult for them to be honest and/or direct, especially when they're the type that would normally dump you like a bad habit, but instead make it a habit of just quietly trying to phase you out, or even worse just dump you but not tell you about it (which can lead to some obviously weird situations :P ).

Anyway, I just think that there's quite a bit more of that than in other places, so beware.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk13 View Post
It's "friendly" sure, but that friendliness can also lead to a "passive agressiveness". Just because people are friendly doesn't mean they don't have negative personas, and unfortunately that can then culminate in a far more frustrating delivery method. I can not tell you how annoying both my professional and social life has been since coming back due to this issue.

As a for instance, you know how many times I've been actually "dumped" since I got back dating wise? Almost zero. Is it because I'm that awesome? no. It's because people are so "nice" that it's difficult for them to be honest and/or direct, especially when they're the type that would normally dump you like a bad habit, but instead make it a habit of just quietly trying to phase you out, or even worse just dump you but not tell you about it (which can lead to some obviously weird situations :P ).

Anyway, I just think that there's quite a bit more of that than in other places, so beware.
I don't think this is a Minnesota thing. This is more like a flaw in human nature. I have been treated in a "passive aggressive" and people have "phased" me out. None of this happened in Minnesota. It all happened in Georgia.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:17 PM

18 posts, read 120,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I don't think this is a Minnesota thing. This is more like a flaw in human nature. I have been treated in a "passive aggressive" and people have "phased" me out. None of this happened in Minnesota. It all happened in Georgia.
I'm not saying that Minnesota is the exclusive home for passive agressive behavior, just that's the capital of it :P .

And most people will agree with that notion, just as much as they would agree that people there are also friendly (just as you could easily attest to have met people who are friendly in other states, even if they don't have as much of an obvious reputation for it).

Old 06-21-2010, 11:13 AM

8 posts, read 42,647 times
it's very friendly, i've been there only 3 summers but loved it.people will smile at you when shopping and tend to start a conversation most of the time, which was not really what i wanted since my english isn't perfect and sometimes couldn't understand what they said!
but i've never been rejected by people here. and specially i love spending my summer there, walking around the lakes and bands are playing ... and it's america's safest city according to forbes.
i'm looking forward to going back this summer.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk13 View Post
I'm not saying that Minnesota is the exclusive home for passive agressive behavior, just that's the capital of it :P .

And most people will agree with that notion, just as much as they would agree that people there are also friendly (just as you could easily attest to have met people who are friendly in other states, even if they don't have as much of an obvious reputation for it).
Georgia doesn't have much of a reputation for "passive aggressive", even though it is very thick here. Alot of "backstabbing" goes on here. Georgia just hasn't developed a big reputation for it though.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:25 PM

48 posts, read 117,762 times
I lived in Minneapolis for 15 years and just recently moved out of state. Minneapolis is a great city, a very Scandanavian feel to it - even visually, with the neatly trimmed parks, the extensive bike/walkways, careful organization and signage, and beautiful sparkling lakes. Great art and performance scene too. People are almost unfailingly pleasant and polite. The Somali, Hmong, and more recent Latino (many Mexicans from Michoacan & Puebla states, fair number of Ecuadorians) immigrants add a lot to the city too.

The downside is that, apart from immigrants from other countries, most people come from the metro area or from nearby small towns in MN and WI, and many seem to eternally keep the same group of friends they had in college or even high school. It's quite easy to meet people to socialize occasionally and superficially, but very difficult to make good friends. If you work in an industry where you'll be around lots of people from out of state, it might be easier.

When I moved out of the upper Midwest, one of the most surprising things to me was that when people said - "we should grab a coffee/beer," they meant we should ACTUALLY go. Now, or at some real time in the near future. In Minnesota, that sort of statement is not, in most cases, an actual invitation. People are pretty indirect, and it can be hard to decipher social situations if you're not used to that. People will be nice, but it sometimes feels like a cool-ish nice. You might work or live side-by-side with someone for years, talk to them every day, enjoy each other's company quite a bit, but never be invited to their home.

That was my experience anyway.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:17 AM

225 posts, read 755,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by losadair View Post
When I moved out of the upper Midwest, one of the most surprising things to me was that when people said - "we should grab a coffee/beer," they meant we should ACTUALLY go. Now, or at some real time in the near future. In Minnesota, that sort of statement is not, in most cases, an actual invitation. People are pretty indirect, and it can be hard to decipher social situations if you're not used to that. People will be nice, but it sometimes feels like a cool-ish nice. You might work or live side-by-side with someone for years, talk to them every day, enjoy each other's company quite a bit, but never be invited to their home.

That was my experience anyway.
I used to live in Louisville but recently moved to Indianapolis. I have picked up the same vibe in Indy as you're describing in the Twin Cities. When I lived in Louisville, it was very easy to be welcomed into peoples' social circles, but in Indy it's just as you described Minneapolis-St. Paul. I would not recommend anyone moving to central Indiana for any reason.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:36 PM

261 posts, read 621,657 times
It's a friendly city. Go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul