Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 05:32 PM

751 posts, read 1,178,025 times

Advertisements

Hi all:

First of all, I must say that I love the state of Minnesota and even though I have travelled all across the nation, it is very hard to find a city that compares to Minneapolis-St Paul anywhere. Anyways, I had the opportunity of moving to New Mexico(Albuquerque) and then Arizona(Mesa) a few years ago and just then I realized how great Minnesota is. I also met many Minnesotans living in Arizona and New Mexico, and I could never understand how Minnesota would even compare to Arizona or New Mexico, when I moved back from Arizona to Minnesota, to me it was pretty much like moving from Mexico to Sweden, the difference in mentality, culture and the way things are run is just amazing. I still love New Mexico and Arizona and visit these on a yearly basis, but I could never move back. I am interested in knowing what makes the Southwest attractive to a native Minnesotan if anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2006, 06:33 PM

25 posts, read 26,293 times
I also didn't realize how nice Minnesota and the Minneapolis-St Paul metro area are until I moved elsewhere.

Old 11-09-2006, 07:41 PM

156 posts, read 792,212 times
I couldn't agree more. My husband and I are both from the Midwest but moved around the country for ten years prior to moving back in 2000. My husband had a great career opportunity in the SE in 2004. We have been counting the days until we can return to the Midwest since about 6 weeks after we arrived here. We are moving back to MN this summer and it will be with a whole new appreciation for the work ethic, honesty, and friendliness of the people and having four distinct seasons.

Old 11-10-2006, 11:14 AM

19 posts, read 98,593 times
I live in minneapolis and am thinking of living elsewhere for awhile. I am considering the southwest just because I think it would be interesting to hike the wilderness and maybe find those lost gold mines:-) i have not lived anywhere else so maybe I do not know just how bad it is out there.

Old 11-10-2006, 04:31 PM

195 posts, read 1,080,008 times
Eric, this really is a great area compared to most of the rest of the country.

Old 11-11-2006, 05:50 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
I know several people that spend winters in Arizona and some in Florida. They are retired people that want the warmth in the winter but don't want to give up things here in MN. I only know a couple people that live in AZ year round now, job transfers and although they like the winters, the summers are terrible. They do complain a lot about the people, mainly the lack of work ethic as compared to MN.

Old 11-25-2006, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 7,674 times
We've been living in AZ for eight years and are finally making the jump to move back to MN next spring.
Comparing AZ/NM to MN is like comparing oranges to apples. Our urge to move back to MN has been even greater after having our two sons. We miss family and friends. I must say after traveling around, word is known every where about what "Minnesota nice" is.
It's a toss up between the winter or the summer. We sit inside all summer long in AZ because it's too dang hot to send the kids out and you can't enjoy the pool either to cool off because you'll fry. At least in the winter we will be able to bundle up and play outside with the kids.
We are now considering Northfield. There is a school there that is drawing us to that town - The Village School. Most of my family is in Mendota Heights and W. St. Paul. I also want to expose the kids to as much of Mpls. as possible too!
I miss the diversity and the year-round things going on in the cities.

Old 11-26-2006, 10:00 AM

121 posts, read 662,991 times
Default Minnesota rocks...

I was born and raised in MN and as a kid I always swore that one day I would move where it was warm all year and no snow...I dreaded the winters as a kid. I think most people born/raised in the midwest always crave to move to CA or FL for the weather. The fact that it's 70's and sunny somewhere and in MN it's frezzy cold with snow it so weird to grasp. Now I'm an adult and married a sailor so we have lived soooo many places. The last 7 have been Arizona and CA..and I really miss the winters now. Xmas will never be the same..
One thing I hate about AZ is that my kids can't play outside in the summer. I understand now why many schools in AZ do the year round school thing. But to me it's sad for my kids. The summer streets here are bare and the only sound are all the air conditioners buzzing. There are so few trees here and grass is hard to grow. These are just things I miss. AZ does have it's good points to it. And I know so many people here esp teachers that moved here for a job.

Old 12-06-2006, 02:52 AM

676 posts, read 1,271,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastMove View Post
I couldn't agree more. My husband and I are both from the Midwest but moved around the country for ten years prior to moving back in 2000. My husband had a great career opportunity in the SE in 2004. We have been counting the days until we can return to the Midwest since about 6 weeks after we arrived here. We are moving back to MN this summer and it will be with a whole new appreciation for the work ethic, honesty, and friendliness of the people and having four distinct seasons.
I lived in Rochester, MN for two years and was kicking to get back to the SE from the moment I arrived. Maybe I didn't give MN much of a chance but I wanted to be home. So, I understand what you're saying but it takes all kinds of people to live in different places. I love the SE and so does my wife who was born in WI and lived many years there and in MN.

Old 12-06-2006, 04:17 AM

328 posts, read 239,903 times
I was born and raised in north central Minnesota and have lived in Texas, Louisiana and now Florida. The only thing I can say is that there is no comparison anywhere to the work ethic of Minnesota...I don't think a lot of people in Louisiana even know what those two words mean. I miss the skiing and the snow at times, but I sure don't miss those skeeters!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota