Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 07:31 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,062,282 times

Advertisements

Well im not going to flame you MinnesotaWild, and I do always agree with people about division, though there are ways around division, and like the other person said he could get from campus to the mall in 5 minutes, its very very simple.
I will agree with there is a huge lack of things to do around the SCSU campus, and now that both Cub Foods are gone and are now Cash-Wise, Coborns/Cash-Wise(There the same stores owned by the same company im pretty sure) has no competition except for a single Byerlys, until our WalMart SuperCenter opens.

St. Cloud is just a pathetic regional hub and it isn't the twin cities and it isn't trying to be the twin cities. It definitely has grown a lot in the past few decades and such.

I wouldn't stereotype every single person that lives in the city as an elitist. Sure I have seen many people like that, but everyone isn't like that, no where close to being everyone. Theres people like that everywhere.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:41 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
Well im not going to flame you MinnesotaWild, and I do always agree with people about division, though there are ways around division, and like the other person said he could get from campus to the mall in 5 minutes, its very very simple.
I will agree with there is a huge lack of things to do around the SCSU campus, and now that both Cub Foods are gone and are now Cash-Wise, Coborns/Cash-Wise(There the same stores owned by the same company im pretty sure) has no competition except for a single Byerlys, until our WalMart SuperCenter opens.

St. Cloud is just a pathetic regional hub and it isn't the twin cities and it isn't trying to be the twin cities. It definitely has grown a lot in the past few decades and such.

I wouldn't stereotype every single person that lives in the city as an elitist. Sure I have seen many people like that, but everyone isn't like that, no where close to being everyone. Theres people like that everywhere.

St. Cloud is in a weird place for a city. It's a regional hub that was just once a mid-sized farming town, that's on it's way to becoming a suburb(I know, plenty of time to go, but in planning the forecast is 30 years out)

And Radical, the Cubs turned into Coborns? SO let me get this straight, there are 3 Coborns in the City of St. Cloud?

Old 04-26-2010, 08:10 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,062,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
And Radical, the Cubs turned into Coborns? SO let me get this straight, there are 3 Coborns in the City of St. Cloud?
Both the Cub Foods turned into Cash-Wise, so now there are 3 Cash-Wises, the 2 that used to be Cub Foods and the one in Waite Park.

Coborns and Cash Wise are owned by the company and are basically the same store.

I just looked on Coborns website, there are 2 Coborns in St. cloud, one in St. Joseph, one in Sauk Rapids, and 2 in Sartell, a total of 6.

So in total there are 6 Coborns and 3 Cash-Wise, a total of 9.

Store Locator :: Coborn's
Store Locator :: Cash Wise

Old 04-27-2010, 09:19 AM

19 posts, read 40,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Please keep comparing a McMansion Suburb developed in the past 30 years to an independent regional hub that has had a history since the 1850s. Maple Grove looks nice because people pay $300,000 for a 3 bdroom 3 bath generic McMansion that Maple Grove gets TONS of tax money for. Plus, Maple Grove is a retail hotbed, you know how that plays with the tax base?

>>>>Ok, link me to a realty site that proves this statement. Its full of nice houses because the AREA is nice. You wont find many trailerparks overlooking the Mississippi will ya? This history you speak of, will it attract tourism from other states? Other countries? Is it interesting enough to sell tickets? Maybe boost the economy?<<<<

St. Cloud is a city that has grown too fast to keep up. It went from a Central MN farming community to Regional Hub of Central MN. In 1980 it was a town of 30,000, and now it's nearly 70,000 strong and not to mention the giant growth of Sauk Rapids, Sartell, SCSU and SCTC.

It's got it's problems, but probably because it's population swells to over 10,000 people than it's feasible for when School is in session.

>>>>First off, the only problems that causes are the drunks at the bars and loud parties. The larger crowd brings more revenue in rent, purchases, taxes, and God only knows how much the school is raking in... Lets not forget that theres plenty of summer students here as well.<<<<

You're also comparing a 3.5 million metro (where STC is included) to a STC area with 100,000 people. Of Course there's going to be less trails, public pools. Plus it's a recession, plenty of retail centers have been biotch slapped, not just StC. You'r probably one of those people who complain about 15 and 23, but never venture off the main roads. I used to get from campus to the mall in 5 minutes and I never even touched 23.

>>>>Yes, 3rd Street is great if youre coming from CAMPUS. Try getting from South side to Sartell. 252 in Brooklyn Park has less stops. Or try getting from the West end to the East end without using 23 or Saint Germain. Even if you use side roads the ever lasting red lights are replaced with stop signs and a lesser speed limit. And as far as the retail biitchslap you speak of, several of those I listed closed BEFORE the recession. <<<<

It seems like you're just jealous of what the TC has to to offer, if you are then it's only an hour away. STC doesnt claim to be a historical, entertainment mecca. It doesnt try and compete with the TC. It knows it's place-a central MN regional hub college community. If you don't understand that and why it's like that then leave.
Jealous? lol Its a matter of knowledge that this place has nothing by comparison. I DO plan to leave and if you were paying attention you'd know why it hasnt already happened. You listed the big problem with STC, they dont try to compete with the TC and they SHOULD. Why not compete? How could it hurt to create tourism, recreational resources, you know... Things that BOOST economies. Instead they rest on the revenue generated by the colleges and retail businesses. Thats where it ends. No one in this town has a vision to expand, grow, or succeed. Instead its about how to tolerate the students population while theyre here. And not a whole lot inbetween.

As I said before, for those granite huggers, more power to ya. You people can keep this campus you call a city. Its not just the comparison to the TC suburbs its EVERYWHERE Ive been in this state. I get better enjoyment in a northern town of 900 than here. That "only an hour" statement is a joke. I dont know anyone who will travel that hour unless they HAVE to. I do know several friends and family that will gladly drive 3 hours north rather than the 1 hour west. And I agree, whats out here worth travelling for? If youre not from here, and dont know anyone that lives here, what is there? College?

It seems only the people that live here seem to like this town. I know many that grew up here and moved to the TC and stayed there. It was as if they were broken of the spell that kept them here. If you say "Find the good in the city" I invite you to travel to the Bronx and bring back brochures advertising tourism. See just how many pros and cons you find. Much like this place, theres little to attract visitors let alone good business.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post

Pathetic is right. And I never said EVERYONE. I did say there are good people here, just few and far between. I also noted that every city has them, but not nearly as high of a concentration as STC. Both Cub Foods were bought out by Cobborns (which is normally good) but turned into Cashwise (a.k.a. Ghettowise) which is owned by Cobborns. I always hated Walmart but I find myself there more often as its the lesser of 2 evils. How I miss Rainbow Foods...

Old 04-27-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINNESOTAWILD View Post
Jealous? lol Its a matter of knowledge that this place has nothing by comparison. I DO plan to leave and if you were paying attention you'd know why it hasnt already happened. You listed the big problem with STC, they dont try to compete with the TC and they SHOULD. Why not compete? How could it hurt to create tourism, recreational resources, you know... Things that BOOST economies. Instead they rest on the revenue generated by the colleges and retail businesses. Thats where it ends. No one in this town has a vision to expand, grow, or succeed. Instead its about how to tolerate the students population while theyre here. And not a whole lot inbetween.

As I said before, for those granite huggers, more power to ya. You people can keep this campus you call a city. Its not just the comparison to the TC suburbs its EVERYWHERE Ive been in this state. I get better enjoyment in a northern town of 900 than here. That "only an hour" statement is a joke. I dont know anyone who will travel that hour unless they HAVE to. I do know several friends and family that will gladly drive 3 hours north rather than the 1 hour west. And I agree, whats out here worth travelling for? If youre not from here, and dont know anyone that lives here, what is there? College?

It seems only the people that live here seem to like this town. I know many that grew up here and moved to the TC and stayed there. It was as if they were broken of the spell that kept them here. If you say "Find the good in the city" I invite you to travel to the Bronx and bring back brochures advertising tourism. See just how many pros and cons you find. Much like this place, theres little to attract visitors let alone good business.

I remember driving to the Twin Cities all the time when I lived in St. Cloud.

And learn something about regional economics. St. Cloud would can't compete. That's why it doesn't. Maybe if St. Cloud had around 100,000 people, but it doesn't. It's a town of 70,000 about 60 miles from Minneapolis. It's just waiting til it becomes another suburb. How is St. Cloud going to grab Tourism as it's economy? It's a blue collar, regional hub. Obviously retail and minimal manufacturing are it's economy. Not Tourism are you kidding?!

And attracting businesses? Are you kidding? Go look at the Opportunity Drive Business Park. Ever heard of Arctic Cat? They relocted to St. Cloud for their testing Facility. They picked St. Cloud over River Falls, WI. River Falls is closer to your beloved Twin Cities.

Did you know that in 2007 St. Cloud was voted the Most Livable City in the World for cities it's size? The World. They just built a brand new library, police headquaters construction and rennovating downtown and campus area. How is that not trying to grow?

And boo hoo, it must be so rough to have outside dollars come and be pumped back into your city that were never generated there in the first place. Books, clothes, food, other retail is all purchased in St. Cloud by students, much of whom aren't from St Cloud. Those kids make their money by working summers, probably in the Twin Cities, and then they come to St. Cloud and spend their money there, with ST CLOUD getting the taxes.

Students also create a built in educated workforce. Must be so rough to have a educated workforce right at your fingers

Old 04-27-2010, 10:46 AM

Educated workforce that also exists in the TC, with greater abundance. And Arctic Cat?? Is that what this town boasts? Again I ask you, post the link to this "most livable city in the world" title. Even if that was true it'd be the reason this moldy rock is filling up with welfare robbing ghetto trash. Theres more trailer homes per capita than jobs. Theres no tourism because theres NOTHING TO TOUR. Nothing. Wait... Theres a rockpile with some water. Does that count??

And do check your grammar.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:50 AM

Oh I'm sorry I forgot to reply to the growth. I guess youre right, every city tries to grow by building a bigger LIBRARY and POLICE STATION. Resurfacing roads counts as growing too now I guess. And Arctic Cat is only out here because POLARIS already has a site out there. Its funny you mentioned you always left here to go to the cities. And whats more interesting is that you left Saint Cloud altogether. You love this town so much why not move back?? The college students choose to leave here every spring for good reason.

Last edited by MINNESOTAWILD; 04-27-2010 at 11:05 AM..

Old 04-27-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINNESOTAWILD View Post
Oh I'm sorry I forgot to reply to the growth. I guess youre right, every city tries to grow by building a bigger LIBRARY and POLICE STATION. Resurfacing roads counts as growing too now I guess. And Arctic Cat is only out here because POLARIS already has a site out there. Its funny you mentioned you always left here to go to the cities. And whats more interesting is that you left Saint Cloud altogether. You love this town so much why not move back?? The college students choose to leave here every spring for good reason.

You seem pretty mature

Old 04-27-2010, 11:37 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,061 times
MINNESOTAWILD, What do you do for a living? If you're so miserable, why are you here? You sound like a very unhappy person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota