Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 11:38 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
You seem pretty mature
He sounds like a whiny high school kid.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:52 PM

19 posts, read 40,830 times
I work in law enforcement. And yes, I am mature. Forgive me for telling it like it is. You have yet to prove your statements knke. And funniest thing, I was thinking the same thing about knke in regards to maturity. Unusually stuck in the STC mentality. Ozzie you havent contributed much aside from your partial opinions. Do go on about what a happening town Saint Cloud is. Leave it to you die hard granite huggers to make it out like anyone who disagrees is WRONG. Typical, I expected nothing less.

Last edited by MINNESOTAWILD; 04-27-2010 at 02:03 PM..

Old 04-27-2010, 01:56 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,062,282 times
WHOA, we need to calm down. I hate St. Cloud, and im going to be one of those people that grew up here and left, I will probably be going to college in a different city, but you should do what I do, remain busy, remain optimistic, and just have a good time. If you live in a place you don't like, don't let it bother you or make you miserable. I also understand that you can't just pick up and move right now.

There was a humorous book called something like the absolutely worst places to live in america and St. Cloud was in there, though it was a humorous book and shouldn't be taken seriously, and it was an overall pathetic book, if I remember right it complained about there being too many Arby's.
http://www.amazon.com/Absolutely-Wor...2398365&sr=1-1

http://www.secretsofthecity.com/mnspeak/9796 (broken link)
At this site there seems to be a ton of hate for the city, and I won't disagree with it.

I tried to google the thing from 2007 about it being the most livable city in the world and I found this http://www.wjon.com/LocalNews/tabid/...6/Default.aspx
Thats actually really cool, and I never heard about that before.

Last edited by Radical_Car; 04-27-2010 at 02:10 PM..

Old 04-27-2010, 02:22 PM

I have to say I respect you the most radical. It is interesting indeed about that, I personally think that sounds honorable but really did more harm than good. The cost of living was the lowest but the wages in turn are lower as well. So from a financial aspect it makes sense to live here, but you sacrafice all the resources the cities have. Im not all bent out of shape, Im just not buying into this "Saint Cloud ROCKS" that is being sold. Ive never been more unhappy anywhere else and until I get my house sold I commute for work and spend most of my time in the cities. Everyone I talk to at work or elsewhere in the cities agrees that outside of a party town its dead weight.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:33 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINNESOTAWILD View Post
I have to say I respect you the most radical. It is interesting indeed about that, I personally think that sounds honorable but really did more harm than good. The cost of living was the lowest but the wages in turn are lower as well. So from a financial aspect it makes sense to live here, but you sacrafice all the resources the cities have. Im not all bent out of shape, Im just not buying into this "Saint Cloud ROCKS" that is being sold. Ive never been more unhappy anywhere else and until I get my house sold I commute for work and spend most of my time in the cities. Everyone I talk to at work or elsewhere in the cities agrees that outside of a party town its dead weight.
You are a strange one. Comparing a small town like St Cloud to the Twin Cities is just plain stupid. I spend time on the political forms and people over there aren't as bitter as you are. I know your type. Just move away so we can rid ourselves of your negativity. Thousands of us like the community were we live. Get involved and you might make a friend or two. You said you work in law enforcement? If the TC suburbs are so great, who don't you find a job down there? Money must be tight in the burbs huh?

Old 04-27-2010, 02:44 PM

Wow you indeed ARE a Saint Cloudian. What do you think made me bitter in the first place?? All the warm hospitable kind people in this town? Pay attention, if I said I commute to work, where does that mean I work there, genius? Ive been working in the cities for some time and love it! People are more laid back and aren't all about eachothers business. Ozzie and knke are the very types of people that sum this town up. Speaking of negativity, you seem to be chock full of it. You make me want to start telling stories of the F'd up people Ive met only in this town. Does, say, Mankato have a superhero that waves a flag and stare down traffic while sexually harassing passers by?

And Radical, that link was golden about the worst place to live. Nothing I can disagree with there. Although Ozzie and Harriet might have a field day.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:50 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
You are a strange one. Comparing a small town like St Cloud to the Twin Cities is just plain stupid. I spend time on the political forms and people over there aren't as bitter as you are. I know your type. Just move away so we can rid ourselves of your negativity. Thousands of us like the community were we live. Get involved and you might make a friend or two. You said you work in law enforcement? If the TC suburbs are so great, who don't you find a job down there? Money must be tight in the burbs huh?
Well what about this thread
http://www.city-data.com/forum/minne...-st-cloud.html
What about this thread comparing st cloud and minneapolis?
What about comparing Duluth to the Twin Cities?

Old 04-27-2010, 02:53 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINNESOTAWILD View Post
I work in law enforcement. And yes, I am mature. Forgive me for telling it like it is. You have yet to prove your statements knke. And funniest thing, I was thinking the same thing about knke in regards to maturity. Unusually stuck in the STC mentality. Ozzie you havent contributed much aside from your partial opinions. Do go on about what a happening town Saint Cloud is. Leave it to you die hard granite huggers to make it out like anyone who disagrees is WRONG. Typical, I expected nothing less.

I'm not arguing that 'St. Cloud Rocks!'. I don't even live in St. Cloud. When I lived there, I didn't think it was that great... But there is a difference between giving valid arguments and opinions vs. trolling and deliberately attacking a place because of your personal struggles.

What do I have to prove? My opinions? St. Cloud in my opinion could never and will never waste the resources to compete with the Twin Cities. They know that there is no way to be a competitive advantage over the TC. Never. So they know their niche. As a soon-to-be suburb and also as a regional hub, they are in a tough situation. They are 2 in 1. Maple Grove has it made- They are a bedroom community and a retail center for a small land area. St. Cloud is a County Seat, Regional Hub, home to over 25,000 college students, and home to people who work in the Twin Cities and even Brainerd and Willmar. Look at all the social problems with Tech High and the influx of new Somali students. Too much change too quick.

I don't have to prove that the students contribute. I know 10 people that BOUGHT homes in St. Cloud simply because they went to school there. 10 people man. 10 people who didn't live in St. Cloud 5 years ago, and probably never would had HAD they not gone to SCSU. 10 people X average price of home $179,000 = $1,790,000 in St Cloud that they would have missed out on. I know 5 or 6 people that have jobs in St. Cloud (Benton County, Hospital, City of St. Cloud, Law Office, and Wells Fargo) simply from their Degrees from SCSU. Those people never lived in St Cloud.

Most Livable City, year after year proved here..
St. Cloud has lofty place among 'Liveable' cities | StarTribune.com
St. Cloud Loses 'Most Livable City' Award - wcco.com (http://wcco.com/local/livable.st.cloud.2.1244828.html - broken link)

Arctic Cat brought high-skilled, high paying jobs to an area that really needed it. IF you don't think 50 jobs that pay $40,000-$60,000/yr isn't beneficial for an economy, then watch the news.
http://www.winkbuild.com/pdfs/projec...7pdfs/acat.pdf

Old 04-27-2010, 02:55 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
Well what about this thread
http://www.city-data.com/forum/minne...-st-cloud.html
What about this thread comparing st cloud and minneapolis?
What about comparing Duluth to the Twin Cities?
Those threads are more or less for price of living, apartments, homes, jobs, etc.

Saying that Saint Cloud sucks because they aren't like the Twin Cities and don't try to be is just insaine.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Most Livable City, year after year proved here..
St. Cloud has lofty place among 'Liveable' cities | StarTribune.com
St. Cloud Loses 'Most Livable City' Award - wcco.com (http://wcco.com/local/livable.st.cloud.2.1244828.html - broken link)
Well I wouldnt say an award proves anything. Opinions are opinions.
Mankato has won tons too
City of Mankato, Minnesota: City of Mankato Awards (http://www.mankato-mn.gov/Awards/Default.aspx - broken link)
Mankato, Minnesota - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

POLICOM ranked Mankato in the top 10 percent nationally (out of 577 cities) and #1 in Minnesota among mircopolitan cities for economic strength.

For more information contact Greater Mankato Growth at 385-6640.

100 Best Places for Youth
The Mankato community was named as one of the nation’s top 100 Best Communities for Young People by America’s Promise for three consecutive years. Meeting the needs of children in the community was identified as one of the main reasons the Mankato community earned this honor. More information is available at Americas Promise Alliance - Home.

Bizjournals
As featured on MSNBC, Bizjournals ranked Mankato #7 in its 2008 list of 10 dreamtowns nationwide. Focusing on a variety of livability factors, Bizjournals studied 140 micropolitan areas and gave the best marks to well-rounded communities with light traffic, a healthy economy, moderate cost of living, impressive housing stocks, strong educational systems and easy access to big-city amenities. Learn more.

Bond ratings benefit citizens
The stability of Mankato’s tax base and the overall sales and housing growth has bucked trends for regional centers across the country. Mankato’s bond ratings were upgraded twice in six months, a remarkable achievement that benefits citizens. What the city levies for property taxes will decrease, having a direct impact on residents.

Cities to Watch
Mankato made “AARP The Magazine’s” national list for what makes a community livable: new urbanism, smart growth, mixed-use development and easy-living standards. A complete list of the "Cities to Watch" and the "Best Places to Live" is available online.

POLICOM
POLICOM ranked Mankato in the top 10 percent nationally (out of 577 cities) and #1 in Minnesota among mircopolitan cities for economic strength.

Site Selection magazine names Mankato as a top micropolitan city
Site Selection magazine’s annual tally of new and expanding corporate facilities placed Minnesota in the top tier of American states, giving the state a 15th place overall ranking. Mankato-North Mankato led the state’s top micros and ranked in the top 10 among all U.S. micropolitan areas. Results for all 50 states can be viewed at: Site Selection Online.

Top 14 places to live for Micropolitan Cities
The New Rating Guide to Life in America's Small Cities named the City of Mankato as the 14th most livable "micropolitan" in America and number one in Minnesota.

This national youth advocacy group, founded by Gen. Colin Powell and dedicated to making children and youth a priority, named Mankato one of the top 100 communities in the nation for kids. Criteria included the presence of caring adults, transportation for children, presence of places to learn and grow, education opportunities, and opportunities for children to volunteer.
Rolling Stone College Guide, 2005
Rolling Stone magazine named Mankato/St. Peter one of the top 50 college towns in the country because of its rich and diverse music scene.
Site Selection Magazine, 2002, 2003 and 2004
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota