Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 08:00 PM

8 posts, read 10,380 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I've been coming here for the past week and a half reading alot of different posts of everyone's views on different cities in MN, as far as which cities are better and so forth. Im still having a little hard time figuring out which cities would be better for our family. I've been to the thread of which is better to live in Duluth or Rochester and see that theres alot of mixed opinions. I did broke it down to move to one of these 2 cities but after reading the thread its hard for me to choose because I see there's some good and the bad between the 2 thats sort of driving me away from it to a point but dont know if its enough for me to still look at between the 2 or look in between from Rochester and Duluth other cities for other options.

But the one thing as I read through the posts is that the people here are sort of not happy about the high taxes in MN. Now as I mentioned in my other post we are a low income family and with the high taxes will it or does it kill a family with low income to survive to live in MN??

I hope to get alot more replies in this post then what I had in my other post, because Im really looking for some honest opinions so me and my hubby can make our final decision about maybe moving to the MN area or not. For which I do hope and want to move to MN because of the interest of the programs that they have that will definately benefit my oldest son. Hope to hear from you soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 11:41 PM

Okay?? Did I say something wrong for anyone not replying to my thread?? I came here looking for some information that may be helpful to me and my family but I guess I was wrong to even come here

Old 11-13-2010, 07:48 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
OK I'm not trying to sound harsh but I'm trying to understand what your saying.... It sounds like you are worried about the taxes in Minnesota but you want to move here for the free programs that will help you and your son? You do know that those programs are only available because of the high taxes right? DO you have jobs lined up? or are you just hopeing to find something wherever you move to?
Again not trying to rile you up just want to understand your position..

Old 11-13-2010, 08:57 AM

812 posts, read 2,173,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOf305 View Post
Okay?? Did I say something wrong for anyone not replying to my thread?? I came here looking for some information that may be helpful to me and my family but I guess I was wrong to even come here
Seriously? You posted at 10 pm last night then again at 1:41 am, that's less than four hours on a Friday night.

The tax rate changes based on income. Go to the state tax page and look at the tax tables.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:04 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,657,834 times
What sort of programs are you looking for? We need some more specifics to address your situation.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:36 PM

My54Ford: Ok, what part of what I just said here: But the one thing as I read through the posts is that the people here are sort of not happy about the high taxes in MN. Now as I mentioned in my other post we are a low income family and with the high taxes will it or does it kill a family with low income to survive to live in MN?? Do you not understand??

KibinMinn: FYI, I had posted up another thread the 1st time I came here and only recieved 2 replies so explain that.

Instead of RETYPING out what were looking for, im going to post a link to my other post so you guys know why I have an interest of moving to MN. Possibly looking to move to or around SandStone, MN

Now coming from my perspective I thought the people in Wisconsin is rude enough but now after the replies from this post im beginning to wonder if MN may not even be the right place to move to. I didnt think MN people were this rude geez, it sort of makes Wisconsin people here look good.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:45 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,352,029 times
Even though you have come off rather rude in your previous post, ruder than the people who responded to your original post, I will try to answer some of your questions.

First of all, asking about Sandstone probably didn't get many answers since most people probably don't know a lot about the place. Most people probably just drive right by the exit as they go north or south on I35.

If you have a child with special needs, you'll want to look at a city of some size I'm sure. If you are interested in Duluth or Rochester, I'd say you'll probably find adequate programs for a child with special needs.

If you are looking to Minnesota so you can live off the system, which could be what some people might perceive based on your low-income status and references to programs here, you probably won't receive a warm reception from some people. Minnesotans are tired of people moving here to live off the system.

If you are low-income, you might want to consider just renting rather than buying. There are plenty of places in Rochester where rent is based on income. Look at rent.com and you'll get an idea of some of the places for rent, those with income guidelines and what the rental rates average.

Also you really can't expect to get instant replies on a weekend. There is much less activity on the forum on the weekend than there is during the week.

I hope some of your questions have been answered. Yes, there are plenty of rude people in Minnesota, but that is the case anywhere you go. It has nothing to do with Minnesotans or Wisconsinites in general. People can be rude anywhere and that is a fact.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:17 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
My54Ford: Ok, what part of what I just said here: But the one thing as I read through the posts is that the people here are sort of not happy about the high taxes in MN. Now as I mentioned in my other post we are a low income family and with the high taxes will it or does it kill a family with low income to survive to live in MN?? Do you not understand??

KibinMinn: FYI, I had posted up another thread the 1st time I came here and only recieved 2 replies so explain that.

Instead of RETYPING out what were looking for, im going to post a link to my other post so you guys know why I have an interest of moving to MN. Possibly looking to move to or around SandStone, MN

Now coming from my perspective I thought the people in Wisconsin is rude enough but now after the replies from this post im beginning to wonder if MN may not even be the right place to move to. I didnt think MN people were this rude geez, it sort of makes Wisconsin people here look good.
OK I get it.... so much for trying to be minnesota nice.....Don't move here!The taxes will kill you! it isn't worth it!!!! Duluth is too friggin cold with a 25% unemployment rate and Rochester is nothing but a support system for rich elitist medical types and they have all the jobs. Did I mention the taxes? I make a 100k a year and only get to take home 25k!

Old 11-13-2010, 09:36 PM

If you are looking to Minnesota so you can live off the system, which could be what some people might perceive based on your low-income status and references to programs here, you probably won't receive a warm reception from some people. Minnesotans are tired of people moving here to live off the system. Well, thats very sad to hear that people would judge people like us just because were low income....it shouldnt matter who you are as a person or a family. Ever hear "Never Judge a book from its cover"?? And No were not moving to MN just to live off their system.....I have never said anything about that so where you or anyone came off of that is beyond me.

2nd of all we werent even looking to buy a house, just want to rent a place somewhere. And its obvious that I shouldnt of said a particular place in MN just for someone to not post although I did mention in my other post that it didnt have to be near SandStone either and that I was willing for any optional cities to keep an open mind. And as far as WHEN to post my other post was sitting up there for awhile with barely any response.

To answer your first line of sentence I was not trying to be rude I was answering back of how I felt. Its almost as if your saying that Im suppose to sit back and let everyone be rude to me and not say anything. I didnt think it was a crime to ask anyone here for more information about Mn.

Well, Im sorry that I even bother to come here to get more info, I thought you guys would be more considerate and helpful then judging people 1st hand when coming to this forum.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:59 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,352,029 times
Quote:
Well, thats very sad to hear that people would judge people like us just because were low income....it shouldnt matter who you are as a person or a family. Ever hear "Never Judge a book from its cover"?? And No were not moving to MN just to live off their system.....I have never said anything about that so where you or anyone came off of that is beyond me.
When you say you are looking for programs and don't specify what kind of programs, people can get the wrong impression. It happens a lot with people moving here. Being vague in your posting doesn't help get the kind of answers you were obviously looking for. Pointing out that you are low income doesn't seem necessary either. You also never said you wanted to rent or to buy. So throwing out low income and the taxes and can you make it without mentioning that you would look for a rental makes a difference.

Perhaps if you didn't jump on people for not answering as quickly and with as much detail as you are so obviously demanding without giving more information like people have asked you for you'd get better answers.

good luck in whatever you decide - I say move to Duluth. They'd love more people there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota