Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 03:08 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,060,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
The drive up was desolate, though.
I was just visiting my grandmother in Wabasso a few days ago, ya it is desolate. But atleast there is no traffic or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 04:33 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
I was just visiting my grandmother in Wabasso a few days ago, ya it is desolate. But atleast there is no traffic or anything.
Nope, no traffic. Just blowing snow and 8' snowdrifts. I hope I can make it back to Kato tonight.

Marshall itself is like an oasis in the middle of nowhere. I can't believe there are so many businesses and career opportunities here, aside from Schwan's. There's US Bank, the airport, the university, and a couple of engineering firms. Plus, the town seems a lot more progressive and ethnically diverse than Mankato. It's amazing to have this cosmopolitan town with great career opportunities so far from a major city. Marshall is just a small town in the middle of NOWHERE on the prairie. From what I've seen so far, Marshall is awesome.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:51 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
Quote:
Nope, no traffic. Just blowing snow and 8' snowdrifts. I hope I can make it back to Kato tonight.

Marshall itself is like an oasis in the middle of nowhere. I can't believe there are so many businesses and career opportunities here, aside from Schwan's. There's US Bank, the airport, the university, and a couple of engineering firms. Plus, the town seems a lot more progressive and ethnically diverse than Mankato. It's amazing to have this cosmopolitan town with great career opportunities so far from a major city. Marshall is just a small town in the middle of NOWHERE on the prairie. From what I've seen so far, Marshall is awesome.
Ya thats why I usually say Marshall is the best town in Southwestern MN. I personally don't like living in the middle of nowhere, but I would gladly live in Marshall.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:54 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Marshall is a great town. Schwan's presence is the reason Marshall has so much to offer. People complain about Schwan's but without that multi-billion dollar international company, Marshall would be like any other small town in SW MN, nothing there.

ozzie679--is there ANY good frozen pizza out there??

Old 01-18-2011, 09:09 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,655,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
... ya it is desolate. But at least there is no traffic or anything.
Pretty low crime, for all the folks scared of Minneapolis.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:13 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Well, I got the job. I guess I'm moving to Marshall, though I'd really rather stay in Mankato. If it wasn't so flippin' snowy and windy in Southern Minnesota, I could survive the commute.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Well, I got the job. I guess I'm moving to Marshall, though I'd really rather stay in Mankato. If it wasn't so flippin' snowy and windy in Southern Minnesota, I could survive the commute.
Argh, well good luck! I personally like Mankato more as well also, Mankato and New Ulm are 2 of my favorite towns in Southern/Southwestern Minnesota. At least it's better then Plymouth

I'm not really familiar with southeast Minnesota at all so I can't comment on any towns located there.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Congratulations!

Old 01-25-2011, 05:10 AM

A tip for finding a rental-most real estate ads are placed on Wednesday and Saturday in the Independent so that is when you will find the most ads for rentals too.

gomarshall.net! is a good place for local information and if you check out the Marshall Trader feature on this site, you can often find listings for rentals as well. Hy-Vee in town also has a free shopper where people post ads for rentals and all kinds of stuff.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:18 AM

1,237 posts, read 3,447,714 times
I would tell you not to go, but since it seems you''ve already taken the job and apparently enjoy small towns, there is no turning back now.

I have NEVER heard Marshall described like it has been here. Everyone I know couldn't/can't wait to leave and never look back, myself included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota