Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 07:57 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,239,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post
You have to pay to go to the state parks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Yes, you pay either a daily fee to get in or buy an annual pass.
If you are driving a vehicle. There is no additional fee to enter if you are walking or biking.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:10 AM

35 posts, read 59,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
That's great and all, and state parks I'm sure are very nice....but you guys understand the ultimate consequence of deficit spending, right? Do you know how Keynesian economics works and how it's caused the downfall of empires like soviet russia? We're fasting increased monetary inflation and inefficient welfare programs that only tax the public even further. The system today cannot sustain itself and we're approaching its end. You guys understand the REAL problem, right? I think parks should be the last worry you have right now.
See?

I told you guys it was that lavish Soviet state park system than finally brought the communist bloc to its knees, but nooooooooo, you didn't believe me......

Old 07-15-2011, 09:36 AM

4,363 posts, read 6,539,981 times
The closed State Parks is putting a dent in the economy for many small towns across the state. The tourism dollar is very important to many of the small towns and the people who depend on it. The quicker this is done with the better for all concerned.

I could care less if there is a Miller Beer waiting for me at the taps...

Old 07-15-2011, 12:18 PM

221 posts, read 1,195,245 times
Those of us who work for publicly supported parks, museums and libraries are completely accustomed to being used as the canary in the coal mine by politicians.

This is how it ALWAYS goes, both at the state and local level, in every state and city across America:

Money is tight. So:

Government bureaucrats make the budget cuts mandated by politicians. Usually every department not considered an essential service is cut by the same percentage.

Then the politicians wait and see if there is an outcry about favorite things like parks and libraries being cut. If there is, they know they have cut too deep, and funding is restored.

If there isn't an outcry, they know that the public will tolerate the budget cuts that have been made across the board.

We are often used by one political party against the other political party. "The Republicans want to close your parks!" "The Democrats want to use your hard earned money for useless stuff!"

It gets kind of funny after a while. We know that every year at budget season there will be an uproar in the newspapers and other media about the value of or lack of value of our services.

So we just keep on re-using the same file folders and other office supplies that have been used here since the 1950s, and coming in and working on our own time at our own cost - because we believe in and love what we do.

Which bothers OUR bureaucrats who say if we work for free we will never get the real funding that we need.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:32 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,349,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
That's great and all, and state parks I'm sure are very nice....but you guys understand the ultimate consequence of deficit spending, right? Do you know how Keynesian economics works and how it's caused the downfall of empires like soviet russia? We're fasting increased monetary inflation and inefficient welfare programs that only tax the public even further. The system today cannot sustain itself and we're approaching its end. You guys understand the REAL problem, right? I think parks should be the last worry you have right now.
Here's some light reading for you. The economy is just little more complicated than political talking points.

Report: Minnesota Shutdown Will Cost State Millions A Day : The Two-Way : NPR

$1.25 million a day on the lottery
$1 million a week on state parks
$52 million a month in uncollected tax revenue
100 closed road construction projects - has yet to be calculated.

That's just the tip of the iceberg. [LEFT]
[/LEFT]

Old 07-18-2011, 08:59 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,167,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Your state is in fantastic shape too:

Illinois' financial situation is worse than any other state in the country according to a study by the National Conference of State Legislatures. The state ended Fiscal Year 2010 in worse shape than any other state (the state’s general fund balance was the lowest it has ever been at negative $4.7 billion[3]) and the state's budget situation has been called "tenuous at best."[4]

Illinois state budget - Sunshine Review

Quinn said the cuts were necessary to help with the state's $11 billion budget deficit. (which is more than DOUBLE what we have in MN)

Courthouse News Service
Well I don't see Illinois as "my state", it just happens to be where I live right now because that's where the jobs are. Illinois also has more people than Minnesota, so their budget numbers will be larger in relation, but if you read my post you'd notice I mentioned that MN's problem is a reflection of the nations problem. But I know you aren't known for reading entire posts so I'm not surprised by this response.

Maybe the State of MN can point the finger at other states rather than address the problem like you're doing. Have you thought about running for state legislature?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Here's some light reading for you. The economy is just little more complicated than political talking points.

Report: Minnesota Shutdown Will Cost State Millions A Day : The Two-Way : NPR

$1.25 million a day on the lottery
$1 million a week on state parks
$52 million a month in uncollected tax revenue
100 closed road construction projects - has yet to be calculated.

That's just the tip of the iceberg. [LEFT]
[/LEFT]
Then why don't they talk more about that? Instead they do these lavish stories about the hardships of state parks being shut down. This is my point, there are so many other issues surrounding this and they do stories about state park bathrooms being locked and vandalism to facilities. Really?

MN has never been known for it's journalism. The Star Tribune is one of the worst papers in the nation, but that's not saying much since all major media outlets in TV and paper are skewed and biased to the hilt.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:11 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,660,727 times
Media outlets are biased because they are owned by people, who as a species have a reputation for such things. The question is, which biases do you prefer? And, by extension, how much of reality are you willing to lock out of your consciousness in order to have it conform to your biases?

And how willing are you to force other people into that smaller reality your biases create?

Old 07-19-2011, 10:15 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,688,667 times
Parks shouldnt be ran by the state anyway. It should be free enterprise. If you want to go and enjoy the park, you pay. If you don't want to, then you shouldn't pay. I don't get why part of my income goes to fund such stupid things that I'll never use. There's really only a handful of instances where citizens should have a group-pay system, like Defense, Education and Infrastructure. That's about it.

Privatize some of this BS.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:22 AM

326 posts, read 872,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Parks shouldnt be ran by the state anyway. It should be free enterprise. If you want to go and enjoy the park, you pay. If you don't want to, then you shouldn't pay. I don't get why part of my income goes to fund such stupid things that I'll never use. There's really only a handful of instances where citizens should have a group-pay system, like Defense, Education and Infrastructure. That's about it.

What's the difference between parks and infrastructure? Just wondering.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:27 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,349,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post

Disagree. The state park system is an asset of the state and it should be kept that way. Do you want to see them turned into a dirty KOA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota