Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 07:50 PM

434 posts, read 552,307 times

Advertisements

Alaska may one day be connected to the rest of the states. Quebec has tried unsuccessfully a couple times to become independant from Canada. If it had been successful, some of the western provinces were talking about becoming part of the United States.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:52 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,079,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.drew View Post
Alaska may one day be connected to the rest of the states. Quebec has tried unsuccessfully a couple times to become independant from Canada. If it had been successful, some of the western provinces were talking about becoming part of the United States.
Beauty, eh? I can see it now: "Molson. Made in the USA."

Old 03-01-2012, 09:57 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,045,903 times
Quote:
really? wow! I'd like to hear more on that, could you provide a link as I couldn't find anything on this.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
really? wow! I'd like to hear more on that, could you provide a link as I couldn't find anything on this.
History of the Quebec sovereignty movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quebec sovereignty movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Intellectuals for the Sovereignty of Quebec

Alberta separatism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Annexation movements of Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I hope that's enough info.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:01 PM

LOL, while the Quebec situation is well-known, I was hoping you could provide some info on how any of these postings relate to any merging of BC or any other territory/province with the US.

this statement from Wikipedia is hardly credible but certainly worth a good laugh however...A hypothetical merging of the United States, Canada, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Haiti, Jamaica, and Puerto Rico as 65 states (and three territories).

now Doctor, tell me the truth, you didn't actuall read much of any of these did you?

Old 03-21-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
LOL, while the Quebec situation is well-known, I was hoping you could provide some info on how any of these postings relate to any merging of BC or any other territory/province with the US.

this statement from Wikipedia is hardly credible but certainly worth a good laugh however...A hypothetical merging of the United States, Canada, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Haiti, Jamaica, and Puerto Rico as 65 states (and three territories).

now Doctor, tell me the truth, you didn't actuall read much of any of these did you?

I couldn't find anything about some provinces becoming states. I didn't really read all of those links all the way through.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
I couldn't find anything about some provinces becoming states. I didn't really read all of those links all the way through.
that's fine, and I take back that I said I wish you'd move to LA

Old 03-25-2012, 12:03 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,121,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathseeker View Post
I'm looking to move to the Great Lakes Region..I've been to Michigan and Wisconsin many times but never to Minnesota. I'm planning on visiting the area soon. In the meantime, any insight on how the state compares to the other two Upper Midwest States would be much appreciated. Specifically, I'm interested in knowing how the twin cities compare to Milwaukee and Detroit and what difference there is between the three states in terms of Rural areas. My impression on that count is they're very similar in terms of the recreational opportunities such as hunting, fishing and camping.
Good question!

* Minnesota is, on average, colder than the two. It is also drier and less rainy.

* Western Minnesota is the beginning of where the Midwest transitions into the Great Plains.

* Except for the Iron Range, Duluth, and North Shore, Northeastern Minnesota is largely an "empty quarter" with little civilization, population, or roads. Much of it is under state or federal management. Boundary Waters Canoe Area is located in part of this region, and while popular with tourists, has virtually no long-term residents outside of Ely and perhaps a few other very small towns. I understand that some parts of the U.P. are like that, but probably not as much so as NE MN.

* Minnesota has no cities of 100,000 out of Minneapolis and St. Paul (right next to each other), and no cities of more than 50,000 out of the Metro area other than St. Cloud (about 60 mi NW of Minneapolis), Rochester (about 75 mi SE of Minneapolis), and Duluth (about 130 mi N of Minneapolis). There are absolutely no large or even medium-sized cities in the northern half of the state other than Duluth, although there are suburbs of Fargo and Grand Forks on the MN - ND border. As a result, there is an "outstate / metro" division.

Michigan has Detroit, Grand Rapids, Flint, Ann Arbor, Lansing, Kalamazoo, and Saginaw for free-standing large or medium-sized cities. Wisconsin has Eau Claire, Madison, Kenosha, Racine, Milwaukee, Green Bay, Appleton, La Crosse, Janesville, Sheboygan, and the Central Wisconsin cities.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:06 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,121,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
Speak for yourself. Us northern Minnesotans swim in Lake Superior plenty.
Yes. I swim on the Superior side of Park Point between July and September. It's pretty refreshing.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:33 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,675,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Yes. I swim on the Superior side of Park Point between July and September. It's pretty refreshing.
I always swimmed in Lake Superior when I lived in Duluth. Park Point was a great get-away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota