Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 05:48 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,477,557 times

Advertisements

Is there someplace so desperate they would take that team? I mean now that Seattle has a team coming, is there someplace else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 05:49 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
I suspect most people would be like, "wait, we have an NBA team?"

Old 02-22-2013, 05:53 PM

Yes! Join the campaign to bring professional basketball to the Twin Cities!

Old 02-22-2013, 07:31 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,680,002 times
16,000 people see games on 41 occasions at Target Center each year.
There's also a large and loyal TV market.

Seattle is getting the Sacramento Kings.

The next place for NBA team would be something like Nashville, St. Louis, Kansas City or Louisville.

I'm a fan of the Timberwolves, but they are losers. It's sad.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:43 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
In 1986 the Minnesota Twins had a 71-91 record and the second worst attendance in the American League. Most of you know what happened in 1987. They won their very first World Series. Can you imagine if they had gone to a different city after that season?!

It would be a major disappointment if the Timberwolves left Minnesota and then won the NBA championship (or even did well in the post season) the first year in a new city. Be glad 16,000+ are still showing up for their games. It would be embarrassing to lose a team to Louisville especially. They are just known for Churchill Downs, but not any pro sports teams.

Turnarounds happen in sports all the time, but it is too bad KG could not have stayed just another two years. An NBA championship banner would be hanging in Target Center right now.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
In 1986 the Minnesota Twins had a 71-91 record and the second worst attendance in the American League. Most of you know what happened in 1987. They won their very first World Series. Can you imagine if they had gone to a different city after that season?!

It would be a major disappointment if the Timberwolves left Minnesota and then won the NBA championship (or even did well in the post season) the first year in a new city. Be glad 16,000+ are still showing up for their games. It would be embarrassing to lose a team to Louisville especially. They are just known for Churchill Downs, but not any pro sports teams.

Turnarounds happen in sports all the time, but it is too bad KG could not have stayed just another two years. An NBA championship banner would be hanging in Target Center right now.
The Wolves have never had Andy McPhail. The two world series wins are Andy's legacy. But that is not relevant to the Wolves.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:35 PM

4,863 posts, read 6,929,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
The Wolves have never had Andy McPhail. The two world series wins are Andy's legacy. But that is not relevant to the Wolves.
Very true. Andy was the most effective front office person I've ever seen.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:57 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
true enough but it didn't hurt to have Tom Kelly consistently being two moves ahead of Sparky Anderson, Whitey Herzog, Cito Gaston and Bobby Cox during those runs.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
He and Jim Finks brought glory days. I'm not sure their like will ever be here. Which means "lose, lose, lose" and perennial disappointment. We should change all these venues from Target to Disappointment.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:47 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,447,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
I wonder how many people want an NBA team (or other pro team) here simply for bragging rights. Will those people ever go to a game? I went to one Timberwolves game because the ticket was free. It was fun. We had good seats. But I doubt that I'd ever pay to watch them. (When it comes to the NBA, I don't know how much bragging rights you're allowed, since Oklahoma City now has a team.)

A huge reason why we're building the Vikings a stadium is rooted in an inferiority complex. Supposedly we're a cold Omaha if we lose the Queens. The justification for a $1B football palace based on that argument is exceptionally weak in my opinion. I imagine we could debate it all day though.
You can count me in the "bragging rights" group. I used to be a huge Wolves fan in the early 2000s but now I look at the NBA and I have lost interest. I can't help but think all the chips are stacked against smaller market teams. How is it that the Wolves have never in their existence gotten a draft pick higher than their statistically expected draft order in the draft lottery? These drawings are done behind closed doors. Remember when Chicago had a 1.7% chance of getting the overall 1st round pick in 2008 but still won out and got the pick, selecting Derrick Rose? Suspicious! And then there's all that business about referees throwing games. I'm not a big conspiracy theorist, but something about the NBA doesn't smell right.

Also I'd be interested to see if our local businesses actually take clients out to Wolves games. Obviously the Vikings are a very popular NFL team, and the Twins are sometimes competitive and have a big fan base, but I don't think anyone outside of MN cheers for the Timberwolves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota