Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 09:30 PM

24 posts, read 50,974 times

Advertisements

I think waiting till we get there and getting a feel for the area might be our best bet. I'll leave it to fate.
I'm kind of getting a feeling, (based on what I'm reading) Minnetonka might be a little "who's who" for my likings, and I can't do the "keeping up with the Joneses" thing.
Yes, good schools, lakes, trails, wooded areas, are all good reasons to explore investing in Minnetonka, but if it's becoming commercialized and full of snobs, it's not going to be for me and my family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
One thing Eagan has that Minnetonka doesn't: Passenger jets landing and taking off overhead. One of the busy runways points in that direction. I just spent a night in Eagan, and I got a reminder of the plane noise.
Well that's ruled Eagan out for us lol. Thanks for all your research and advise Beenhere4ever, it's been very much appreciated x

Old 07-10-2013, 10:22 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,835,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
This baffles me. The parking lot of your hotel? My sister lives in Minnetonka, has done so since the 1970's. I don't think there has been any racial trouble there.
no. parking lot of a bank we were doing work from.

thinking about it more, i can understand why the bank couldve thought us going in and out of the parking all day could be viewed as suspicious.

my problem was this dumb white teenage rookie cop coming up to me asking if i have been arrested, then saying dont lie because i am going to check anyways.

only reason why he did that is because i am not white.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:25 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,835,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remotecontrol View Post
I think waiting till we get there and getting a feel for the area might be our best bet. I'll leave it to fate.
I'm kind of getting a feeling, (based on what I'm reading) Minnetonka might be a little "who's who" for my likings, and I can't do the "keeping up with the Joneses" thing.
Yes, good schools, lakes, trails, wooded areas, are all good reasons to explore investing in Minnetonka, but if it's becoming commercialized and full of snobs, it's not going to be for me and my family.
when i think of minnetonka, the first thing that comes to my mind is white privilege. these kids are driving bmw's and have a chip on there shoulder and look down on everybody else.

they are not well adjusted to people who dont come from the same background.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
when i think of minnetonka, the first thing that comes to my mind is white privilege. these kids are driving bmw's and have a chip on there shoulder and look down on everybody else.

If we do buy in Minnetonka, with our budget, we'd definitely be living on "the wrong side of the track"
I wonder what effect that would have on my kids, going to school with a lot of the more "privileged" kids, especially when my kids rock up to school in their Honda civic

I'm sure there will be areas of Minnetonka that will be less privileged, more down to earth and hopefully more multicultural.

I'm not giving up on Minnetonka just yet, just have to wait and see all that it has to offer when we get there.

gtc08 where would you recommend?

Old 07-11-2013, 02:21 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,234,069 times
Minnetonka is a great area. Your kids will not be out of place driving a Honda Civic and nobody will care what part of the town they live in.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:52 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
Quote:
Well that's ruled Eagan out for us lol. Thanks for all your research and advise Beenhere4ever, it's been very much appreciated x
There is a very narrow path of Eagan that is subject to airport noise. In the areas where you will be looking you won't have issues.

Quote:
Pretty much sums it up over there. It's not as bad as other cities in the west metro but it's defiantly something that happens, especially at the high school level.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:17 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,597,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
There is a very narrow path of Eagan that is subject to airport noise. In the areas where you will be looking you won't have issues.

Pretty much sums it up over there. It's not as bad as other cities in the west metro but it's defiantly something that happens, especially at the high school level.
Agreed. Edina is the worst. Eden Prairie and Minnetonka are a close second.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Agreed. Edina is the worst. Eden Prairie and Minnetonka are a close second.
People that don't live in the area and have usually spent very little time there often make these things sound much worse than reality. I always hear about all the mean spoiled rich kids with new BMWs in the western suburbs from people that live in other parts of the metro, but in reality I have seen/met very few of them in my 30+ years living and attending school in the western suburbs. Some of the kids from the richest families in my old high school were also some of the nicest and most humble.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:54 PM

People also talk about all the mean spoiled rich private school kids at Blake and Breck when in reality most that I have met are more like the kids in this story...

Generosity Takes Center Stage In HS Tennis Match « CBS Minnesota

It seems like some people assume that anyone from a family with a higher income than their own is automatically a bad person that looks down on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota