Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 11:59 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times

Advertisements

Rochester does have a flood control system...built after the 78 flood. Here is info about.

http://www.postbulletin.com/news/loc...83b6ac3a5.html

There has been the occasional street flooding from times of very heavy summer t-storm rainfall .... typical of many cities/towns.... The rapid runoff from extreme rain events that cause short term flooding is quite hard to control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 12:01 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
I found the hazard assessment for Rochester done by the NWS La Crosse WI which serves the area.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...YYNfJw&cad=rja

Old 05-06-2016, 11:55 AM

16 posts, read 17,925 times
Thanks Kamsack for all the information. I did some reading and noticed something about the flood of 78, and was just curious if the problem has ever occurred again on that scale. I will do a more in depth look at the area as Rochester is one of the areas that I'm looking at because of the excellent healthcare facilities there. Thanks again!

Old 05-08-2016, 01:15 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,351,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus the Magnificent View Post
Thanks Kamsack for all the information. I did some reading and noticed something about the flood of 78, and was just curious if the problem has ever occurred again on that scale. I will do a more in depth look at the area as Rochester is one of the areas that I'm looking at because of the excellent healthcare facilities there. Thanks again!
There hasn't been a flood of that scale since '78. There has been flooding but nothing so drastic. We've never had a problem in any of the places we've lived here (5) in 12+ years. We've seen some of the creek and river levels pretty high but again nothing like '78.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:42 PM

Wow, thanks for mentioning that. I was wondering if there were any more catastrophic floods since 1978.

I'm looking to relocate to a place that has excellent healthcare. This year will mark my fifth year from being Cancer free from Leukemia. I don't anticipate any further issues, however, chemotherapy does effect your body in different ways and I want to be somewhere that can handle the situation should it arise down the road. The hospital where I started my chemotherapy now sends patients home with chemo medicine flowing through the pick unit in their arm. Then when they return to the emergency room, they say, "we knew you'd get sick!" Just glad that never happened to me. Thank God for MD Anderson, that's all I have to say, because when you get really sick you want to go to a real center of excellence like Mayo Clinic, or MD Anderson.

Thanks again for the information.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:24 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Someplace have floods. Get a house on a hill. Easy.

Immigrants...omg what is with the messages lately. No immigrants here are out to get anyone.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Someplace have floods. Get a house on a hill. Easy.

Immigrants...omg what is with the messages lately. No immigrants here are out to get anyone.
Don't get your feathers ruffled, I was only asking about something I read elsewhere. Personally, I don't care.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:45 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
When I lived in Rochester and Minneapolis, whenever I'd return to Rochester to visit family, I always had the impression I was going down in altitude from Minneapolis (780 feet) to Rochester, and it's hard to believe I was rising in altitude! St. Paul is even lower in altitude than Minneapolis by 100 feet or more.

Now, when I'd drive to Winona, the impression was correct, going down in altitude.

My family has roots in Elba, and there's been some nasty floods in that valley over the years. My grandparents came from Beaver & Weaver, now ghost towns due to the floods over the years. And it's a miracle that Elba didn't become a ghost town with the last flood!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota