Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 10:13 AM

4,361 posts, read 6,528,616 times

Advertisements

Yeah, time to buck the trend and move on up. With all that global warming-n-stuff we'll all be migrating to Manitoba to escape the Floridians and Palm Trees that would then be growing around all 10K Lakes. You-Becha..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 11:14 AM

11 posts, read 30,903 times
Default Wood Smoke

There is no question that government policies have permitted wood smoke to become a serious issue here in Minnesota. A long-time resident who loves this state, I have noticed how often wood smoke is now interfering with my enjoyment of the outdoors--whether working in the yard or garage, or just visiting around town. The wood smoke has caused me to stop running and walking in my neighborhood because I was encountering this so often.

This past week I was doing errands around Mpls-St Paul and it was smoky everyplace I went. This is not just aesthetics. This stuff is extremely toxic and unhealthy. It comes from fireplaces, outdoor burning, restaurants that create wood smoke pollution without filtering equipment, and who knows what. Some cities have had incinerators burning waste. Over the past few years, the smoke problem has grown dramatically. I would not move to Mpls-St Paul today because of the smoke and lack of direction from the government to stomp out the problem.

I would not want to be buying a home that will be in an increasingly smoky environment as time goes on. I do think that government policies and personal conduct can change and reverse this problem, but the direction is the other way. People burn pretty much whatever and whenever they want. Any restrictions on the books are unenforceable or ignored and there are so many loopholes the air is just not protected.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:26 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,083,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post

It will always be the case that the grass is greener in experiencing the weather you haven't experienced. I too have to remind myself of this. So it almost becomes not about what weather is worse, and more about the weather you haven't experienced in a long time. I can promise you that many in San Diego (near perfect weather) would kill to have 4 seasons for a few years. If you eat Lobster every night, it starts to taste an awful lot like chicken!
This is probably the best quote in this thread.

I am loving this fall weather lately though, it is refreshing.

Old 10-22-2017, 01:16 PM

92 posts, read 127,995 times
Real feel temp 95 today in Sarasota. This place is for old retired people that get cold easily.
I am working on getting my MN medical license

Old 10-22-2017, 04:22 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,083,485 times
I just met a guy who was working for a construction company doing a project on my neighbors house and he told me he came here from AZ because he likes the cold.

He was Scandinavian (though that doesn't always mean you're going to love/like cold weather) so that might have had something to do with it, but he did tell me AZ was just too hot and the changing seasons were more up his alley.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:19 PM

7 posts, read 7,620 times
This is an old thread. Do we know if the OP ended up moving to MN or not? I lived in MN between 1994 and 2014 with a few years of AZ living sprinkled in. The debate seems to always be about hot versus cold. Does anyone ever consider the amount of sunshine? My biggest problem with MN weather is/was not the cold but the lack of sunshine for days on end. That gets to me BIG TIME! I also don't like the amount of rain the state gets. It rains quite often. I also lived in FL for a couple of years, 89-91. I loved the sunshine but hated the rain and humidity. To me the western states are most appealing. Depending on where you live, you can have cold, hot, or even both only a few-hours drive away from each other. You don't have much humidity, and sunshine is usually abundant. I bet I can count the cloudy days on one had that we've had here this year. It has been mentioned several times already in this thread, and it's so true. It all comes down to subjectivity and what you prefer.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:17 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sempai65 View Post
This is an old thread. Do we know if the OP ended up moving to MN or not? I lived in MN between 1994 and 2014 with a few years of AZ living sprinkled in. The debate seems to always be about hot versus cold. Does anyone ever consider the amount of sunshine? My biggest problem with MN weather is/was not the cold but the lack of sunshine for days on end. That gets to me BIG TIME! I also don't like the amount of rain the state gets. It rains quite often. I also lived in FL for a couple of years, 89-91. I loved the sunshine but hated the rain and humidity. To me the western states are most appealing. Depending on where you live, you can have cold, hot, or even both only a few-hours drive away from each other. You don't have much humidity, and sunshine is usually abundant. I bet I can count the cloudy days on one had that we've had here this year. It has been mentioned several times already in this thread, and it's so true. It all comes down to subjectivity and what you prefer.
I think I read somewhere that the original OP is living in Sarasota and is working on getting their MN medical license.

Old 10-25-2017, 04:56 PM

9 posts, read 8,029 times
I agree that minnesota winters arent bad. You have to remember that theres a whole country above MN wherein the winters are more intense, more bewildering,more mind altering, body chilling, spine tingling. Its a little place called Canada. If the OP was really a certified BA he would work toward getting a license in Ottawa or somewhere...Calgary idk. You might as well go all in for cold weather because thats when it gets fun. Winter festivals, maple syrup, pond hockey, another Canada thing, shoveling the drive, leaving your patients midway through open heart surgery to meet up with your buddies at the rink. Its all there waiting for you OP...I dont know what the migration process entails what with paperwork, but since you're an MD you probably can get it all sorted out hassle free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota