Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 08:38 AM

394 posts, read 1,518,304 times

Advertisements

St Cloud is sweet. Its a great city. Lived there for 4 years, didnt like it so much when I was there. Now that Im gone I really miss it. Its a city that is large enough - 75,000, to have its own culture as well as being close enough to the TC that you dont feel so far away. When going to SCSU I found myself driving to twins games and concerts in the TC many of times, no problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 08:51 AM

865 posts, read 2,500,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0402 View Post
More rural places are nice if you can establish a nice way of income. Most basic 'jobs' dont pay well, and are probably pretty boring. You make living in those areas interesting by owning a business, or doing a special kind of work. Also think of kids. Do you want your kid raised in a backwater town with noting to do besides steal mom and dads liquor and go driving around town causing trouble. it happens-
I grew up in places that might be thought of as "backwater towns". Most of my nieces and nephews did too. Can drinking and drugs be a problem? Perhaps. But just like the requirement for adults to "make living in those areas interesting", kids - with the right parental input and support - can do the same. There is plenty to do in small towns; particularly ones in beautiful natural settings. It's been my experience that the kids getting into trouble in those small towns are the ones who lack motivation and would get into trouble in the city as well.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:52 AM

865 posts, read 2,500,919 times
I forgot to add for the OP - my vote would be Park Rapids or Bemidji!

Old 11-04-2008, 11:39 AM

394 posts, read 1,518,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
I grew up in places that might be thought of as "backwater towns". Most of my nieces and nephews did too. Can drinking and drugs be a problem? Perhaps. But just like the requirement for adults to "make living in those areas interesting", kids - with the right parental input and support - can do the same. There is plenty to do in small towns; particularly ones in beautiful natural settings. It's been my experience that the kids getting into trouble in those small towns are the ones who lack motivation and would get into trouble in the city as well.

I see what youre saying. However, dont be suprised what kids do and can do. Only if my parents knew half the crap I got into......

Booze cruizin is huge for rural kids. Pile into a pick up or car and drive on back roads where htey know they will NEVER see a cop. It happens much more than people like to think.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:49 PM

4 posts, read 10,139 times
My family(husband and 3 children) are wanting to move within 35 miles or so from St. Cloud because we both go to Rasmussen College. We like the area from what we have studied but having a hard time finding a personal rental property. We would like a mobilehome or house. I would also like to have small dogs. Please if anyone can be of assistance, I would greatfully appreciate the effort. My e-mail is:tinachristian61@yahoo.com or tina.mckenzie@smail.rasmussen.edu

Old 12-16-2009, 01:15 AM

141 posts, read 284,693 times
I would rule out Grand Rapids due to the fact there is no four-year college there. I like the situation of the town but the school system has a lot of kids dropping out and Blandin Paper or whatever the name is now makes the town stink.
Bemidji has a great university for the size of the town and the campus is in a beautiful location. Lots of businesses because it is a regional hub. I would not move too far north of the town because I would like to stay away from the Red Lake Nation. I have not heard that much about there public schools though.
Saint Cloud definitely is by far the largest and most diverse and within a reasonable drive of the Cities(yuck!) and the rest of the state and has many smaller towns nearby that would be a quick drive to SCSU which is the 2nd largest in the state.
I do not know much about Park Rapids except its proximity to leech which in my mind is the best perch factory in MN and the surrounding area has plenty of outdoors and lakes to go around but I don't know how long you want to drive to school. bemidji is quite away.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:56 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,597,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDanger View Post
I would rule out Grand Rapids due to the fact there is no four-year college there. I like the situation of the town but the school system has a lot of kids dropping out and Blandin Paper or whatever the name is now makes the town stink.
Bemidji has a great university for the size of the town and the campus is in a beautiful location. Lots of businesses because it is a regional hub. I would not move too far north of the town because I would like to stay away from the Red Lake Nation. I have not heard that much about there public schools though.
Saint Cloud definitely is by far the largest and most diverse and within a reasonable drive of the Cities(yuck!) and the rest of the state and has many smaller towns nearby that would be a quick drive to SCSU which is the 2nd largest in the state.
I do not know much about Park Rapids except its proximity to leech which in my mind is the best perch factory in MN and the surrounding area has plenty of outdoors and lakes to go around but I don't know how long you want to drive to school. bemidji is quite away.
What do you mean stay away from the Red Lake Nation?

Old 12-16-2009, 03:38 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,597,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDanger View Post
the area does have great fishing and the fact its in the middle of everything which makes it all the more exciting of a city to live in. From here youd be close to many state and national forsests, solitude and peace and quiet, hard to find in the st cloud area
State Forest in the north of the lake with many miles of hiking trails in winter and summer with a fantastic bog walk on a board walk system.
Bemidji is close to everything, great shopping and peace and quiet.
The best qualities to look for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota