Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 05:35 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times

Advertisements

It was 74° at our house yesterday, October 30th and 65° on Halloween. How does that mean winter? I have also golfed, in shorts, in February in MN with golf courses opening March 1st. It really varies from year to year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 12:24 PM

6 posts, read 9,339 times
hello chilaili, just wanted to say found your comments very informative and helpful, got lots to consider with this move and must say my head is in the shed at the moment but taken everything on board that you have said and thanks for taking the time to help.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
As someone that lives in the suburbs that is not always true. You could EASILY get around our town without having to drive to get anything and with the bus system available it can take you where you need if you can't walk there. Not all suburbs are walkable, but there are many that are.
thanks very much for your comments much appreciated.. i am learning to drive at the moment but the thought of having to drive in america as soon as we relocate is daunting to me, obviously with time i will do it, but i want to get used to things nice and slow..

Old 11-02-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
It was 74° at our house yesterday, October 30th and 65° on Halloween. How does that mean winter? I have also golfed, in shorts, in February in MN with golf courses opening March 1st. It really varies from year to year.
so are you an english native?

Old 11-02-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
Chiliali is generally correct in their comments, with exception of the following:

Winter can be brutal, but there's no way it lasts 6-8 months! In 1991, we did have the infamous Halloween blizzard, so I suppose that winter probably lasted 5.5 months, but typically the snow arrives late Nov-early Dec and will last until late March/early April.

Also, relative to rest of the US, our summers are not very hot nor very humid. If you want extreme heat AND humidity, try Houston, Memphis, Atlanta, Cincinnati, or St Louis.

In the Twin Cities area, I'd recommend SW Minneapolis/Edina/St Louis Park for walkable neighborhoods that are interesting. I've met several people from Europe and Australia living in Linden Hills. There's also Highland Park/Mac-Groveland area of St. Paul.

But there's also lots of nice suburban areas too--it just depends what you're interested in.
thanks for your help on my queries, definitely going to take a look at the areas you suggest.. and feeling quite relieved that the winters are not so long, i like the snow but not for that long....

Old 11-02-2008, 01:24 PM

21 posts, read 67,217 times
Glad you mentioned Plymouth, rated the most livable city in the US by Money Magazine. There are many great options in the western Minneapolis suburbs. Very family oriented. Great place to raise a family.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plymn View Post
Glad you mentioned Plymouth, rated the most livable city in the US by Money Magazine. There are many great options in the western Minneapolis suburbs. Very family oriented. Great place to raise a family.
yes i have been taking a good look at plymouth and it looks very promising, thanks.!!

Old 11-10-2008, 01:33 PM

39 posts, read 121,265 times
Yes, we've had snowfall in April, but it never stayed on the ground. March weather can be quite mixed, so one could consider it a winter month in Minnesota.

As far as the suburbs, most of them have been growing and improving infrastructure. The are many mini-shopping canters with coffee shops, grocery and drug stores, dvd rentals, restaurants and boutiques you can walk to. And certainly, many parks everywhere. Plymouth is one of the very friendly and well planned suburbs. It is a good prospect for you.

Last edited by SassyBelle; 11-10-2008 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: adding more info

Old 11-10-2008, 02:30 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times
Am I the only one who remembers the Winter of 1995/96 where the windchill in the Twin Cities hit -50º? Boy, wasn't that fun?

Old 11-10-2008, 03:03 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Am I the only one who remembers the Winter of 1995/96 where the windchill in the Twin Cities hit -50º? Boy, wasn't that fun?
I also remember that same year when it was 106* on the sidewalk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota