Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 12:11 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,671,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Not to open up another can of worms, but this is a great time to start legalizing drugs, prostitution, gambling, etc. and tax the bajeezus out of it.
None of this will ever happen here. Pawlenty needs the biblebanger vote in 2012.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 01:00 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,833,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Not to open up another can of worms, but this is a great time to start legalizing drugs, prostitution, gambling, etc. and tax the bajeezus out of it.
I always appreciate your comments Slig, and mostly I appreciate that I can never predict where you'll go with any given argument- you start off with a moderate/ independent viewpoint, then segue right into legalizing drugs, prostitution, etc (LOL).

I don't think gambling should be legalized- leave this to the tribes- they've done very well in managing it. Marijuana definitely should be legalized, and the harder stuff needs to at least be "decriminalized" and monies should be diverted to rehabilitation/ healthcare for addicts vs. locking them all up in the revolving doors of very expensive prisons- actually in the recent public safety omnibus bill, I believe there was something in there making penalties harsher on those selling/ distributing, but simultaneously a move away from mandatory sentencing (and possibly towards decriminalization) in some instances- I forget the language. I can see arguments for both sides of the prostitution debate- legalization would definitely make it a lot safer (in many sense of the word) for those working in the industry, one we know can never be legislated away.

On another note not related to the above, Minnesota really missed the boat by letting Iowa beat us to the punch on being the first to legalize gay marriage. If any midwestern state should have been the first to do this, it should have been us, and just think of how much revenue the licenses/ fees/ taxes being charged for civil unions are bringing into their state from the broader region if not nation (and there's no doubt that a very large percentage of those taking advantage of it are our state's residents).

Old 05-20-2009, 01:21 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Yeah, I guess I'm not trying to predict what I think will or won't happen, I'm just throwing out what I think should happen. Camden, you bring up a good point with the gambling issue. I think it is fair to the reservations to allow them to carry that sole privelage as it does seem to be fairly well managed. That was kind of a side suggestion I was adding to the pile. My point is that at this juncture I think creating revenue should be one of the main priorities on nearly all levels of government where possible and especially on the state level for Minnesota. I understand the importance of alot of the programs Pawlenty wants to cut or eliminate but hey, you have to have money available to allocate there...right now that just isn't the case.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:23 PM

9,744 posts, read 11,165,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
I lay awake each night worrying about taxes. The sheer metallic terror of taxes that haunts me day in, day out, is nearly unbearable. Every hour of every day, I wonder to myself, "Will I ever escape the insurmountable burden of taxes? Is there no justice in the world for a white male?" Other people concern themselves with petty, trifling matters like being unemployed, having no health insurance. Their worries are insignificant by comparison, because I am overcome by the horrific destruction of taxes.

I think I will uproot my entire life so I can move to a state where they do not abuse their residents with such terrible, awful, nightmarish taxes.
I am guessing you are not a business owner. Allow me to educate you versus you trying to belittle by point.

Like many businesses, I have out of state competition. If I am competing with a company outside of MN that charges less state taxes and or fees, that business out of state will be able to win over the business in competitive situations. Putting it another way, I have to walk from many competitive bids. That also means my employees have less hours or were laid off.

I am a rational person. Tax me to death and I will cut back working or leave the state. Why would someone want to work 100+ hours a week and pay through the nose in taxes??? Therefore, I've intentionally cut back work and my wages have dropped by 300% since 2003 specifically so I didn't have to work for less than what I was worth (considering I was basically forgoing my life for work). So now, my MN taxes are a fraction of what they were. But I am not so naive to assume the state raise taxes on a hurting economy while our state neighbors have figured out a way to attract hard working people without the bloated social services. Personally, I think the correlation as to why a lot of our neighboring states are doing better is the farm work ethic that we all use to have. I diverge...

Independent of all of that, it's simply a matter of being fair. If you have not paid in much for taxes, how can you expect free health care, free medical, free food stamps, free housing assistance, extended unemployment etc. I'm all about helping my neighbor in need. But who says this is my obligation??? Shouldn't helping someone be MY decision since it is MY money??? How dare someone think that they can waive a wand and raise my taxes considering they are MUCH higher than an average state??

So now we are critiquing the Governor (God forbid) for living within our means??

While we are talking, there are a lot of people suffering for GENERATIONS in other countries. Where is your compassion for them?? Why do you think a family in MN is more important than someone living in Bangladesh? They are dieing of starvation and disease; it's not a matter of them struggling. Be consistent, let's pour all of our resources into helping the entire world!!! Let's all become Mother Teresa and finally be true to our beliefs. You can get by with one car, a smaller house, less eating out, forgo that vacation and stop with all of those luxuries like a soft bed. Come on people. Let's admit it: if we cannot help out EVERYONE in need then we are hypocrites. Forgo your own personal wealth and be consistent.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 05-20-2009 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-20-2009, 05:52 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,833,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
While we are talking, there are a lot of people suffering for GENERATIONS in other countries. Where is your compassion for them?? Why do you think a family in MN is more important than someone living in Bangladesh? They are dieing of starvation and disease; it's not a matter of them struggling
You don't think there are homeless people in Minneapolis right now that are dying from starvation and disease? And/or have experienced generational suffering? You know those very gaunt-looking homeless persons that look like they have an unnatural amount of body hair?- guess what, that's a sign of malnutrition and possibly starvation (generally mentally ill persons that are so out of it they can't find their way to local soup kitchens). I could list a whole slough of symptoms of diseases that are contributing to the deaths of hundreds of metro residents every year, but my guess is you don't want to hear about that- we're much too civilized here to admit these things are taking place locally, and much too civilized (or self-interested?) to admit a need for any increase in taxes.

There are obviously many corporations/ businesses that have done very well for themselves in Minnesota, and these same corporations do so well that they are able to donate millions of dollars each year to charitable contributions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Be consistent, let's pour all of our resources into helping the entire world!!! Let's all become Mother Teresa and finally be true to our beliefs. You can get by with one car, a smaller house, less eating out, forgo that vacation and stop with all of those luxuries like a soft bed. Come on people. Let's admit it: if we cannot help out EVERYONE in need then we are hypocrites. Forgo your own personal wealth and be consistent.
That's a great attitude- so basically what you're saying that if we as individuals can't solve the suffering of the entire world, then there's no use doing anything at all, and we're all just hypocrites for even trying?? Wow.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:18 PM

43 posts, read 204,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
You don't think there are homeless people in Minneapolis right now that are dying from starvation and disease? And/or have experienced generational suffering? You know those very gaunt-looking homeless persons that look like they have an unnatural amount of body hair?- guess what, that's a sign of malnutrition and possibly starvation (generally mentally ill persons that are so out of it they can't find their way to local soup kitchens). I could list a whole slough of symptoms of diseases that are contributing to the deaths of hundreds of metro residents every year, but my guess is you don't want to hear about that- we're much too civilized here to admit these things are taking place locally, and much too civilized (or self-interested?) to admit a need for any increase in taxes.

There are obviously many corporations/ businesses that have done very well for themselves in Minnesota, and these same corporations do so well that they are able to donate millions of dollars each year to charitable contributions.

That's a great attitude- so basically what you're saying that if we as individuals can't solve the suffering of the entire world, then there's no use doing anything at all, and we're all just hypocrites for even trying?? Wow.
So Camden, tell me, when do the increases in taxes stop then? Should they not be set at a set rate and never increase or decrease?

Its not like the government ever implements a new tax and then it goes away. I mean the little .5% increase here and there adds up over time.

And the whole taking away the deduction for mortgage interest, real estate taxes and donations was to simply hide how high the increase really was. It all was targeted at the middle class and wealthy.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:31 PM

158 posts, read 1,084,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
This is COMPLETELY false. They can't override the veto because they don't have a two-thirds majority in the house. Republicans will not override because the last time that happened, the party horsewhipped the house members who dared go against them. Do you remember the transportation bill? Remember those Republicans who voted for it? Yeah, they all lost the party's endorsement. So long, moderates.

Finally, there IS NO COMPROMISE with Pawlenty. They send him a budget, he vetoes it. They want to raise taxes, he doesn't.
He better not raise taxes.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:54 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,790,905 times
Quote:
His mom must be so proud. The below excerpts (only) have been posted with permission from a local advocacy organization:

"The 2009 Legislative Session ended at midnight Monday. But the story is not over.

The Governor has announced he will veto the last tax bill passed by the legislature and will begin planning with his cabinet on Thursday to identify funding shifts and budget items that he will unfund in a process called “unallotment”. The first thing on his list, he told reporters at noon Tuesday in a press conference closed to the public and legislators, would be “welfare”.

Governor Pawlenty already line item vetoed all the funding for the General Assistance Medical Care program, which covers 35,000 of the state’s poorest adults. The program is set to close a little more than a year from now, but hospitals throughout the state have announced they will have to begin laying off staff and shutting down units much sooner than that. That was on top of the $500 million the Legislature had already cut from Human Services – with especially painful cuts for personal care assistance for disabled and elderly Minnesotans.

The Minnesota Family Investment Program saw no cuts in current assistance to families. Eight regional service projects that bring cross-disciplinary services to the most challenged families on MFIP will end January 1. Counties will see almost a 2% cut to their administrative funding for MFIP services. And a cash bonus to families leaving assistance for work due to begin Oct. 1 will be $50 a month instead of $75 a month. It was the state Senate, in particular, that fought off the Governor’s and House proposals to advance much more serious cuts.

There will be legal challenges to the Governor’s efforts to cut the budget on his own. Legislative leadership has publicly promised to hold public hearings over any of those cuts.......Minnesota faces clear choices: whether we include taxes in the solution or whether we continue to ask the very poorest Minnesotans to bear the brunt of the budget cuts. What we have learned in the cuts to General Assistance Medical Care is that we cannot abandon those with the least incomes without shaking the foundations of major institutions like our hospitals."
All Pawlenty cares about is himself. But the people of Minnesota were dumb enough to elect him twice. But do not blame me, I never voted for the idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-20-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:

Of course there are people suffering in MN with mental illness and unfortunately some have starved. Everyone I know is in favor of taking care of people in this situation.

Sorry. In the USA we are in the "Minor Leagues" as compared to the problems in Ethiopia or Kenya or in Western Burma. Those areas have had 100,000+ people perish at a time in each country and they still live in severe poverty.

Here is my point. I would absolutely prefer to give my money to people outside of the USA who were born in a situation where it was positively desperate the day they were born. If you were born in the USA, you were blessed beyond anyone's expectations as compared to a typical person born in Ethiopia.

So I am asking why do people think MN poverty and starvation is more important?? If you are not advocating doing a lot more with your money and give it to people in other nations so that they don't starve I am calling you a hypocrite. I don't think you are doing enough. I think that giving money to extend unemployment insurance would be better used to stop starvation by the thousands in Africa?? Don't you??? Hey, I am just asking you to think about it a little and answer the question.

Therefore it's my opinion that you are really pretending to be compassionate. It's easy to show that you "care" when you are voting or recommending to take MY families money. Please explain to me how it is the governments right to decide how to spend MY money??? Maybe I look into some specific cases and learn that the person who is in need made some terrible decisions and I don't want to help them. Shouldn't that be my decision to find out if it makes sense to extend the unemployment benefits of a person who isn't looking for a job because they are doing side jobs?? Or maybe I think I want to help them even though they made some bad personal decisions. Don't you think Charities are better fit to make these decisions after a certain point. Could it be that the government is trying to buy votes my giving away my hard earned money?? My point is why isn't it my decision to give or not to give. Hey, globe199 said the Gov is trying to buy votes from the "biblethumpers". Maybe he is. That is why the government should not be in the charity business.

It's not too productive to start accusing me of not caring. You don't know me at all. I'm already contributing a lot (both by taxes and by giving to charities). The difference is I know that I cannot solve all the worlds problems. Therefore unfortunately I need to draw the line somewhere. I should decide where to draw it'; don't you agree????

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 05-20-2009 at 08:35 PM..

Old 05-20-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
All Pawlenty cares about is himself. But the people of Minnesota were dumb enough to elect him twice. But do not blame me, I never voted for the idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So long as he stops our state from spending money we cannot afford I will vote for this "idiot" next term as well. I love fiscally responsible idiots even if they are only out to please their constituency. Keep up the GREAT work Tim!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota