Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 09:12 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,171,717 times

Advertisements

In the past week, we unfortunately we had a lot of fallen MN soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan.

See In Iraq, Pawlenty meets with fallen soldiers' colleagues | South Washington County Bulletin | Cottage Grove, Minnesota

I know the article mentioned that Pawlenty had this trip planned for months. My question is, why are governors traveling to Iraq and Afghanistan??? I think Pawlenty was in Iraq in 2007. Generally speaking, only a few governors have traveled there.

I was wondering if his motivation was preplanned (months ago) with his probable bid for the white house.

Your thoughts???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 12:07 PM

989 posts, read 2,963,003 times
Fair question for sure because it cost a lot of money for these trips. It is very possible this could be intended to grab headlines and further pave the road for a run at the republican nomination. Very difficult to prove that this would be the sole or primary intent though.

At a broader level, it seem like politicians understand the need to support our troops a lot better than they did in a different war that was unpopular. My impression is americans that hate the current war can do this without hating the soldier, which is a good thing. For that reason, I cut some slack on these type of trips.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:20 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,381,304 times
I think it would be a lie to say that the majority of publicized actions taken by major politicians aren't politically motivated at least to some extent. This should be even more true for people like Pawlenty who is desperately trying to make people aware of him on the national spectrum as he prepares for a GOP presidential nominee bid. I can guarantee you that he won't make a single decision as state governor without first asking himself how the national public will react to his decision. Frankly, I'm still ticked off by the medical Marijuana veto but what would the conservative southern states think of him if he didn't? My point exactly.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford63 View Post
Fair question for sure because it cost a lot of money for these trips. It is very possible this could be intended to grab headlines and further pave the road for a run at the republican nomination. Very difficult to prove that this would be the sole or primary intent though.

At a broader level, it seem like politicians understand the need to support our troops a lot better than they did in a different war that was unpopular. My impression is americans that hate the current war can do this without hating the soldier, which is a good thing. For that reason, I cut some slack on these type of trips.
I agree with your point of view on this one (politicians want to support our troops). When I googled "governor trip to Iraq" (as well as other permutations) I only saw IL, MO and a couple of other governors that visited Iraq. The IL Gov took a lot of heat for it.

I'm surprised that the papers have not questioned our Gov's motive. Potentially the fallen soldiers made it uncomfortable for them to question this seemingly obvious point. In fact, I hesitated to even mention it myself at the risk of sounding insensitive.

But as Slig pointed out, there is no doubt that every single move that Pawlenty makes will be processed and re-processed. Therefore it is obvious to me he is racking up a bill on our backs for his personal benefit. While I am a TimPaw fan, I don't appreciate him wasting our money.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:04 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,835,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
While I am a TimPaw fan, I don't appreciate him wasting our money.
As a non-TimPaw fan, agreed- haven't we spent enough on Iraq with out publicity-seeking trips paid for by the taxpayers, esp. when governors have absolutely no possible worthwhile business being overseas?

Looks like someone conveniently failed to "un-alot" overseas gubernatorial travel from the state budget (and as he jumps on a jet on a whim, the majority of low/moderate-income MNans can't afford to go to the doctor anymore- what great "family values").

Old 07-21-2009, 06:46 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,200,528 times
I didn't vote for Pawlenty but applaud his trip to Iraq to visit members of the--Minnesota--National Guard and Reserve units.

This war is vastly different from Vietnam in regards to the huge number of National Guard and Reserve units deployed.

Those units he visits are headquartered in--Minnesota, departed Minnesota as a unit after a public farewell, and will return to their headquarters in Minnesota with a homecoming covered by the press.

They then will continue to train monthly in Minnesota.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I didn't vote for Pawlenty but applaud his trip to Iraq to visit members of the--Minnesota--National Guard and Reserve units.

This war is vastly different from Vietnam in regards to the huge number of National Guard and Reserve units deployed.

Those units he visits are headquartered in--Minnesota, departed Minnesota as a unit after a public farewell, and will return to their headquarters in Minnesota with a homecoming covered by the press.

They then will continue to train monthly in Minnesota.
I hear what you are saying. But realize that it is uncommon for a governor to travel to Iraq. So then the question to ask is why did he decide to travel to Iraq??? Could his trip be political motivated to show that he has overseas experience???

In 2008, Pawlenty also went to Kosovo. Again, why (the real reason)??? He isn't the Commander and Chief.

I did a little googling...See Pawlenty on the road often in 2008 | Minnesota Public Radio NewsQ

It seems he has been out of the state a lot. 1 out of every three days since January of 2008. Hummm..... I wonder why??????? 1+1==2.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:10 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,200,528 times
----" He isn't the Commander in Chief"-----

I'm not sure, but I would guess he --is--the Commander in Chief of the Minnesota National Guard as he has the authority to call them up for state emergencies.

I realize once they are deployed by the Federal Govt, the Guard is under a different command.

Why I am not knocking Pawlenty for visiting Minnesota National Guard units is I doubt he is getting national coverage, just state coverage. ( maybe I'm wrong on that one)

Old 07-21-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
----" He isn't the Commander in Chief"-----

I'm not sure, but I would guess he --is--the Commander in Chief of the Minnesota National Guard as he has the authority to call them up for state emergencies.

I realize once they are deployed by the Federal Govt, the Guard is under a different command.

Why I am not knocking Pawlenty for visiting Minnesota National Guard units is I doubt he is getting national coverage, just state coverage. ( maybe I'm wrong on that one)

I am guessing that no one outside of MN pays much attention that Pawlenty went to Iraq (publicity wise). Maybe Republican donors do. I don't know... But Palin (as an example) was knocked for not having any foreign policy experience. She didn't other than her proximity to Russia. (I still cannot believe she actually said that TWICE on national TV). When that point potentially comes up on the campaign trail, Pawlenty at least has some talking points to name drop. Of course it was on our dime.

Yea I am skeptical. At the end of the day, he doesn't need to be there. He needs to be managing MN.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:31 AM

409 posts, read 1,241,964 times
Pawlenty ought to be involved in the affairs of the Minnesota National Guard.

Constitutionally, though perhaps not practically, he's supposed to be their commander, not the feds.

However, yes, this trip is clearly posturing for a presidential run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota