Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 02:07 PM

8 posts, read 34,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orleron View Post
Hello,

We are thinking about relocating to the Memphis area and seeing as the house prices and schools look pretty good in Olive Branch and Southaven, we were contemplating getting a house down there.

The thing is that my wife and I are born and raised in NJ which is very egalitarian and secular, and not religious at all. We pretty much have a live and let live attitude.

My question is how bad are the religious fruits and nuts down in that area? Will my children (twins, age 3) be ok in a daycare or will they be subjected to indoctrination and brain washing?

What does a secular person who really wants nothing to do with religion do to protect his children from possible backlash? Or is that even a problem there? Perhaps people there are more tolerant than we think them to be up here in NJ?

Us simple folk down here in Mississippi don't care if you go to church, just don't mess with our coons. We need them for Sunday dinner, our turn to feed the preacher this week, you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 02:13 PM

8 posts, read 34,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennreb View Post
I'm Catholic, but I've attended many protestant churches in Mississippi on friends' invitations. I enjoy the variety, and I've never been pressured to join. And I've been privileged to eat some of the South's finest food at various dinners on the ground.
While we don't have as many Catholics as other places, we do have them, even in small communities like the one I live in.

I grew up Baptist, but I don't push my religious beliefs on anyone. Ask me what I believe and I'll tell you.

We aren't a bunch of religious nuts like some seem to think. We actually have more of a "live and let live" attitude than people in places outside the South. You see, and this is to the OP, we don't care what religion you practice or don't practice, WE practice hospitality.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,708 times
Default Religous Right says.............

Well, it all depends on whether you want to live in Desoto County for a short period of time or want to live forever in eternity. I'm a Christian, but I never PUSH my beliefs and lifestyle on anyone unless they ask and desire to find out why I remain joyful and happy all the time despite what exists in the world around us. You see, if you reject a Christian's advance, they will turn and walk away from you and never return to bother you again. If you reject a Muslim's advance, the Koran tells them you must be labeled an infidel and accordingly be eliminated by any means necessary. Usually by violent death. So, it's your choice. Do you want to live in a county in Mississippi consisting of mostly bible believing people, or.....would you like to deal with the alternative?

Old 08-31-2009, 11:01 PM

783 posts, read 2,258,077 times
ROTFL. That's hilarious. Rosanne Roaeannadanna lives!

"It's always somethin'! Either you can't get a job in journalism orWalter Conkrite thinks you cut the cheese in his office!"

Either you got christian nuts knockin on your door every morning or you're gittin' your head cut off by muslim nuts!

"Good night, my little Rosanne Rosannadanna..."

Old 09-03-2009, 11:08 AM

6 posts, read 13,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teresa124 View Post
Please ignore the comments of Sherwyn and Mrkool. I completely agree with Magnoliastate. Southerners are nothing to be aftaid of, in fact, your children will be better people after being raised in kind down-home enviroment. I was born and raised in Grenada, MS and currently live in Starkville. At times religion will be pushed on you and your family. It is just part of it. At times you will not be "drowned in love" but hate because you do not believe in their version of the christian god which can normally be summarized by the southern baptists god. As long as you keep them in non-church affiliated day care and keep them out of private schools your children should be fine. I would not be suprised if their friends here are a little suprised when they find they are not consistanly feed bible stories but children can be more understanding then their parents. Olive Branch being a larger area will be slightly more liberal than the small towns in MS. Good Luck and hope this was helpful. I had to chime in after I realized that other post were shoving their views down your thoat before you even got here. Please, do not get me wrong. I moved away and came back. I would never leave the South. It has charm, and truely kind, caring people. Because their is limited diversity, except racial diversity, it shocks people when outsiders come in. Some of us are open-minded as well as good southerners.
Teresa...what a fair post. I am in California but planning on moving near Grenada to get married. When I started reading this thread I was torn. Everything I have experienced so far has been positive. Maybe that will change, but I doubt it. I think the move is what you make of it and not what others do.

But what struck me as unfair was that to me at least...it is unfair to come down so hard on someone who has a real question. Understandably, sometimes the questions can be offensive...but to me...its better to give an honest reply and help the person out. If after receiving my input, the person is still either being offensive or not believing what I have to say...its their problem. Quite frankly, once this question is answered, if the person decides Mississippi isn't for them...its fine with me. It probably isn't for them...and who wants people who are going to be so unhappy here.

When I first came here...I was so surprised driving down the road and people who wave. I figured I must be a look alike...lol. My boyfriend said no...they are just being neighborly. I've seen neighbors come when they are so tired they couldn't stand to help out in an emergency. I've seen people come to funerals from miles around to show their respects after working in fields all day long. That's only a small sampling. If that isn't a good example to raise children by...I just don't know. You sure wouldn't find that where I'm from or in New York where I've also lived.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:36 PM

21 posts, read 54,671 times
From another "secularists" perspective...

I wouldn't say it's a problem, but there's not much tolerance for non-Christians in my hometown. Because being a Christian is the ONLY right way to live, if you aren't one then you are treated like a second class citizen to an extent by a very vocal minority of people.

There's not a lot of outright ugliness or name calling (a little sometimes), but when you tell people you aren't a Christian, there's an instant chill in the air. These are usually the same people who think it's OK to say the N word in the grocery store, bank, etc. (or anywhere for that matter).

I have been told I'm going to hell, my child is going to hell because I don't take her to church, I'm a Communist, etc. I'm also a Democrat, so I automatically have two strikes against me. I'm just a ***** of Satan to some, even though I don't even believe in Satan.

I don't know about Desoto county, but the teachers do try to inject religion into the classroom here. They can be pretty subtle about it and I've kept my mouth shut because it hasn't been overt. My child is free to make up her mind about her spiritual path when she's old enough to really understand her options. I don't need anyone else trying to sway an innocent child with scary stories of going to Hell if you don't believe.

This is just my experience from the other side. Most people are pretty friendly on the surface, but don't expect to form any deep lifelong friendships unless you come across an open minded Christian who will overlook your lack of religion -- or a like minded heathen . The truly devout closed-minded folks think their souls are in danger if they consort with non-believers. Of course, most of them homeschool or church school, so you won't likely run into a whole lot of them in your social circle.

I hate to be so cynical about this, but my experience has not been that good in the small town where I grew up. Differences are not tolerated very well.

My social circle is very small, but I'm ok with that even though it can be boring at times. The friends I do have are either similar in beliefs to myself, or really do have a live and let live attitude. I don't care what anyone's religion is as long as they treat their fellow humans with compassion and kindness and don't push an agenda on anyone else. Worship as you please, but leave me out of it.

As for daycare...talk to the center directors and ask if there is any religion or prayer in the daily schedule. If they say yes, just move on to the next one. Get the yellow pages and start making calls now.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:06 PM

783 posts, read 2,258,077 times
I don't get it. Maybe I've been "indoctrinated" so badly I'm no longer able to be objective, but this really doesn't seem that big a deal to me. Let's jump way over the fence here for an example "what if?"

What if the school your kids go to now says a prayer every morning? (Some schools arounhd here do that) but you don't believe. Now, I can certainly understand if you are a Muslim the offensiveness of being asked to say a traditionally Christian prayer (and vice versa) but the context here seems to be "non believer" not "believer of a different monster."

So why bother? Saying a christian prayer no more makes one a christian than reading the bible makes one a christian. Just tell the kids this is part of a belief many americans have. Beliefs and traditions are important to people for different reasons; it's the fabric that bonds different parts of societies. Respecting someone's beliefs doesn't mean you accept all their beliefs into your heart, it's simply a way of showing respect for other people. When you are older, if you want to learn about these beliefs you can, but remember they are beliefs, and beliefs are different than facts and objective truths.

My brother raises his kids to believe in jesus and say prayers at the evening meal, but not one of them has ever read the bible - it's just "daddy says" and that's good enough for them. Many other christians would say he's shirking his responsibilities to them, but that's just again a matter of THEIR beliefs. There is ALWAYS a TINY, very vocal minority of folks who have odd ways - there's people who hang around outside abortion clinics and people who don't eat meat or eggs or cheese and even people who use macs - so what? I lived in california, upstate ny, many places and I would say there's much higher numbers of oppressive and vocal minorities living in places like NYC or Los Angeles than any you will find running any streets around here.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:01 PM

16 posts, read 59,538 times
You know, All I can say is that one day ALL EYES will SEE *GOD*. So,mething to think about and most likely soon...

Old 05-24-2010, 06:49 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,890,353 times
Quote:
Well I guess that answers my question!

There was no rudeness or arrogance intended, but I can definitely sense the difference in cultures.... such a statement would have never been interpreted negatively in a northeastern forum.

Thanks for the help.
Yes it would have. I've lived all over this country and overseas. That statement would have been taken as rude anywhere. I live in the DC area right now. Your comment would have been interpreted negatively here as well.

If you're not religious....fine. But the fact that you belittle those who are says a lot about your moral compass.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:53 PM

105 posts, read 274,042 times
Quote:
Hello,

We are thinking about relocating to the Memphis area and seeing as the house prices and schools look pretty good in Olive Branch and Southaven, we were contemplating getting a house down there.

The thing is that my wife and I are born and raised in NJ which is very egalitarian and secular, and not religious at all. We pretty much have a live and let live attitude.

My question is how bad are the religious fruits and nuts down in that area? Will my children (twins, age 3) be ok in a daycare or will they be subjected to indoctrination and brain washing?

What does a secular person who really wants nothing to do with religion do to protect his children from possible backlash? Or is that even a problem there? Perhaps people there are more tolerant than we think them to be up here in NJ?
We have lived in the same house in Hernando for 37 years & although we are Christians & go to church regular, out of 14 other homes on my street I could not tell you what church they go to.
Maybe a couple of times a year some folks will walk around the neighborhood to invite you to their church, but they are friendly & leave as soon as you let them know you are not interested.
I know of no one who has been harassed about going to church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi