Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 03:39 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times

Advertisements

not exactly ---but what i see are confrontations. wasps tend to fold up here when AA assert themselves, not so in MS. im not saying who is right or wrong im just saying wasps fold quick here. we let wasp women assert here and for sure any AA can assert-- but male wasp assertion on the coast is a no no.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:51 PM

286 posts, read 209,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Republican governor already did make a difference.

Barbour is the Republican governor who lead Mississippi out of the oppression caused by The Democrats.

Now we can begin anew by teaching everyone that retirement and Medicaid are not synonymous. And I will do my part by demonstrating that truth.
If you believe that go right ahead. Why didn't he get re-elected then?

And will the new guy Phil Bryant turn back the clock or make more progress?

Honestly, I don't think he will make any progress. as Haley didn't. imo. jus sayin'

Old 01-30-2012, 05:08 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,583,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin View Post
Why didn't he get re-elected then?
Hehe...

You do realize there are term limits right? I mean, if you claim to know so much about the government in Mississippi, what's wrong with the state, and who caused it you should at least know the governor has term limits and the legislature was controlled by democrats.

Get involved, learn a little about how state government works, and pay attention to what your leaders do rather than just say "Well, they must not have done nothin because of this and that".

Old 01-30-2012, 08:17 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:
If you believe that go right ahead. Why didn't he get re-elected then?
Heh, heh....stepped right into that one didn't you? See the above post.

Quote:
And will the new guy Phil Bryant turn back the clock or make more progress?
I dunno. Have to wait and see.

But the biggest piece of evidence is you. Yeah. You, yourself.
When you wanted to go to a place where opportunity abounds; where business people are successful; where they have professional sports teams that are supported and followed; where the education system was not something to be ashamed of; where people treat each other with respect, where did you go?

Straight to the most Republican state in the nation.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:48 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Quote:
Mississippi is at poverty level code red.
What about the loads of old money you were just talking about?
Pretty sure a state in "poverty level code red" couldn't support a team.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
Hehe...

You do realize there are term limits right? I mean, if you claim to know so much about the government in Mississippi, what's wrong with the state, and who caused it you should at least know the governor has term limits and the legislature was controlled by democrats.

Get involved, learn a little about how state government works, and pay attention to what your leaders do rather than just say "Well, they must not have done nothin because of this and that".
When you live in Mississippi, the corruption in government overlaps so much you lose track of time and whose in charge for how long. You have to live there to understand it. I honestly thought this last go round was his was his first term. but I was too busy planning my move so I didn't pay him much attention while he was in office anyway. they're all the same corrupt good ol' boy fools.

Last edited by Truckin; 01-31-2012 at 08:07 AM..

Old 01-31-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
What about the loads of old money you were just talking about?
Pretty sure a state in "poverty level code red" couldn't support a team.

the logic here^ is astoundingly backwards and off track. And here's why...

You have to live in Mississippi to understand what I'm talking about. the "Old Money" is "separate" and away from the regular pool of barely any money that's circulating in Mississippi. It's also big money hold up in the cofers for lawsuits the state has won(big tobacco $3.67 billion) that Mike Moore and Jim Hood were looting on the low down. just corruption everywhere. This is why the state is "poor"..So It's really an oxymoron. There's money in the Mississippi cofers, but the greeding hounds in office that are controlling how it's distributed aren't doing their due diligence to get the money out to the state so it can be used. They would rather loot it until somebody is busted for something crooked. As I've already stated earlier. It's a vicious corrupt cycle in Mississippi politics.

And a sports team could provide more jobs. It's just one avenue for commerce for the state. I know you may not be used to the idea of more jobs and commerce in Mississippi, but that's what's going to have to happen to get Mississippi up off it's proverbial ass.

For example, you can't be one to chide down social programs like welfare when the people don't have a way to get off it. Job opportunities provide a way to get off of it. When you don't have but so many jobs(mostly state jobs) and such narrow windows of pay scale, The people who can't afford to leave suffer even if they have a good education.And the one's who have poor education fall even further through the cracks of a failed economic society. But when you have a wide range of jobs from entry level to high end jobs, you end up having a more productive poppulous statewide. Instead of pointing fingers as I've seen in person of the City Council. talk about a pathetic bunch of knuckleheads.

If you are retired you can't understand this because your money is straight and you're not dependent on the state's economy to make it.

And here's a tidbit about Nissan and Toyota, a great majority of their workfoorce moved with the company. So most of the workers at those plants jobs are filled with transplants to Mississippi. the locals are still being disinfranchized.

Last edited by Truckin; 01-31-2012 at 08:13 AM..

Old 01-31-2012, 09:04 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,583,845 times
Quote:
the "Old Money" is "separate" and away from the regular pool of barely any money that's circulating in Mississippi.
So the few people with 'old money' in the state will support an NFL team? The regular people with barely any money can't do it, right?

Quote:
And here's a tidbit about Nissan and Toyota, a great majority of their workfoorce moved with the company. So most of the workers at those plants jobs are filled with transplants to Mississippi. the locals are still being disinfranchized.
Nissan brought with them a startup team, no different than any auto manufacturer does when they open a new plant. Sure, some of them stayed on, but the overwhelming majority of workers are Mississippi people.

Remember when the plant first opened? Nissan admittedly had many Mississippians who were new to building automobiles, and there were quality issues at first. Workers wearing rings that scratched paint, loose molding, etc.

Once those workers got experienced the quality issues declined. My point is that Nissan didn't bring 5000 people with them to build cars. Most of those people are Mississippians. Before you attempt to tarnish the people of Mississippi as incapable of performing, Nissan executives have commented on the "incredibly talented workers they have found in Mississippi".

http://siteselection.com/ss/ssinside...526_nissan.htm

The Nissan plant has attracted many suppliers to Mississippi. These suppliers created thousands of jobs as well.

Take a look at Smyrna, TN and the economic impact Nissan has had on their community. The same is happening in Canton. Look at the big picture.

Smyrna: Nissan plant's impact on community 'significant' | timesfreepress.com

You chastise Mississippi for not attracting business or having jobs, but in the same breath you downplay the impact of the Nissan plant that has created thousands of jobs and increased quality of life for Mississippians.

Just by briefly searching Google I found this about Toyota.

“We are pleased to be working with Toyota to help the company staff its facility,” said MDES Executive Director Les Range. “Thanks to an investment by Toyota and the Mississippi Development Authority, we have been able to expand our online system to help Toyota take job applications for its Blue Springs facility.”

“Residents may apply for Toyota jobs at any computer with Internet access: at home, at libraries, at a friend’s home or anywhere else, and help is always available at one of the 53 WIN Job Centers across the state,” Range said.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?p=279993

Doesn't sound like a company that brought the majority of its workforce with them.

Last edited by jhadorn; 01-31-2012 at 09:33 AM..

Old 01-31-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
So the few people with 'old money' in the state will support an NFL team? The regular people with barely any money can't do it, right?
they have enough to buy a football ticket, just not healthcare.

Quote:
Nissan brought with them a startup team, no different than any auto manufacturer does when they open a new plant. Sure, some of them stayed on, but the overwhelming majority of workers are Mississippi people.
Do your research. A LOT of Mississippians are not even getting pass the preliminary stages of hiring. I applied at Nissan and got some vague ass denial letter with no reason why I was denied. It just said "At this time we cannot offer you a position in yada yada, thank you, yada yada"...blah. So I found out from one of the workers' whose from Colorado(go figure) that most of the people in the plant are transplants and the locals are not getting the jobs. I'm not the only one that knows this. ask around of people that have applied at Nissan and Toyota, they'll be waiting forever to get hired because the companies are bringing in workers who are already trained.

Quote:
Remember when the plant first opened? Nissan admittedly had many Mississippians who were new to building automobiles, and there were quality issues at first. Workers wearing rings that scratched paint, loose molding, etc.
Oh I remember very well. My gf's nephew got fired from Nissan for calling in sick 1 time.

Quote:
Once those workers got experienced the quality issues declined. My point is that Nissan didn't bring 5000 people with them to build cars. Most of those people are Mississippians. Before you attempt to tarnish the people of Mississippi as incapable of performing, Nissan executives have commented on the "incredibly talented workers they have found in Mississippi".

Gov. Musgrove: Mississippi Won't Stop With Nissan, Site Selection Online Insider

The Nissan plant has attracted many suppliers to Mississippi. These suppliers created thousands of jobs as well.

Take a look at Smyrna, TN and the economic impact Nissan has had on their community. The same is happening in Canton. Look at the big picture.

Smyrna: Nissan plant's impact on community 'significant' | timesfreepress.com

You chastise Mississippi for not attracting business or having jobs, but in the same breath you downplay the impact of the Nissan plant that has created thousands of jobs and increased quality of life for Mississippians.
When they bring in their own without first stocking their rolls with locals, you bet I'll bash them.

You're behind the curve. I was one of the thousands Nissan denied a job when they first broke ground in the state. but Ironically I get a trucking job In Mississippi that hauled parts for them on occassion. Again, no reason why I was denied, but I didn't wimper, I kept going. Now I'm making twice the pay a Nissan worker is getting in Mississippi.

Quote:
Just by briefly searching Google I found this about Toyota.

“We are pleased to be working with Toyota to help the company staff its facility,” said MDES Executive Director Les Range. “Thanks to an investment by Toyota and the Mississippi Development Authority, we have been able to expand our online system to help Toyota take job applications for its Blue Springs facility.”

“Residents may apply for Toyota jobs at any computer with Internet access: at home, at libraries, at a friend’s home or anywhere else, and help is always available at one of the 53 WIN Job Centers across the state,” Range said.

Toyota Begins Hiring Process at Blue Springs, MS Plant - CleanMPG Forums

Doesn't sound like a company that brought the majority of its workforce with them.
That article is not asking about who they brought with them now is it?

So how do you really know? Unless you've talked to workers there, as I have done already?

Don't take everything word for word what big corporations say. most of it is shadowed in spin.

Fact is, I got at least 6 family members and about 15 friends who have applied and gotten turned down for various jobs, from Accounting department to even the smallest jobs of even janitor at Nissan. And if my family/friends are getting turned down I know others are. So you can't sell me that they are staffing mostly Mississippians. I know for a fact that they are not regardless of the press releases.

Quick question: How many people do you know personally that work for Nissan or Toyota?

I know of Zero. Unless they got a job there in the last month.

Last edited by Truckin; 01-31-2012 at 10:37 AM..

Old 01-31-2012, 10:21 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:
.....Doesn't sound like a company that brought the majority of its workforce with them.....
Yeah, I don't think they did, either. They imported when they needed to and hired locally when they could.

But I have been "informed" by several Mississippi detractors that Nissan was just bringing people from out of state, so they are "not adding to the economy". To tell the truth, I don't see that it matters much. Those are good jobs, and we've got plenty of room for new people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi