Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 10:33 AM

286 posts, read 209,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Yeah, I don't think they did, either. They imported when they needed to and hired locally when they could.

But I have been "informed" by several Mississippi detractors that Nissan was just bringing people from out of state, so they are "not adding to the economy". To tell the truth, I don't see that it matters much. Those are good jobs, and we've got plenty of room for new people.

Little do you know their still importing..as we speak..

And it does matter because that tax money they are making is not staying in the state. Most likely they are taking it back to their homestate where they have homes already(just renting in Mississippi). Get a clue.

They tried to cut down some trees close to Canton and build some
ultra-expensive neighborhoods (ie- Allandale) in hopes they would buy Mississippi and stay, but last time I checked they are having trouble selling million dollar homes to Ex-pats that don't plan on staying.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:44 AM

And before either of you chime in with off-the-wall low key insults, IF I had gotten a job at Nissan I would've stayed in Mississippi and try to make it work. but sheesh, if it ain't a regular job not being available, the big corporations are giving you the shaft. it's a catch 22 to live in Mississippi. Either get a good financial footing or fall into abject poverty.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:15 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,341,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin View Post
the logic here^ is astoundingly backwards and off track. And here's why...

You have to live in Mississippi to understand what I'm talking about. the "Old Money" is "separate" and away from the regular pool of barely any money that's circulating in Mississippi. It's also big money hold up in the cofers for lawsuits the state has won(big tobacco $3.67 billion) that Mike Moore and Jim Hood were looting on the low down. just corruption everywhere. This is why the state is "poor"..So It's really an oxymoron. There's money in the Mississippi cofers, but the greeding hounds in office that are controlling how it's distributed aren't doing their due diligence to get the money out to the state so it can be used. They would rather loot it until somebody is busted for something crooked. As I've already stated earlier. It's a vicious corrupt cycle in Mississippi politics.

And a sports team could provide more jobs. It's just one avenue for commerce for the state. I know you may not be used to the idea of more jobs and commerce in Mississippi, but that's what's going to have to happen to get Mississippi up off it's proverbial ass.

For example, you can't be one to chide down social programs like welfare when the people don't have a way to get off it. Job opportunities provide a way to get off of it. When you don't have but so many jobs(mostly state jobs) and such narrow windows of pay scale, The people who can't afford to leave suffer even if they have a good education.And the one's who have poor education fall even further through the cracks of a failed economic society. But when you have a wide range of jobs from entry level to high end jobs, you end up having a more productive poppulous statewide. Instead of pointing fingers as I've seen in person of the City Council. talk about a pathetic bunch of knuckleheads.

If you are retired you can't understand this because your money is straight and you're not dependent on the state's economy to make it.

And here's a tidbit about Nissan and Toyota, a great majority of their workfoorce moved with the company. So most of the workers at those plants jobs are filled with transplants to Mississippi. the locals are still being disinfranchized.
So the state will pay millions for the stadium or arena and the yearly fees to the team because it would take some time to get a sponsor (the Superdome finally got its FIRST sponsor after 4 decades of Louisiana paying the Saints). The tax payers would vote yes because they will stop going to the doctor just to pay more taxes for a sports team, yes?
Or the people with old money will pay for it all? You don't realize how much money is tied up with professional sports.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
So the state will pay millions for the stadium or arena and the yearly fees to the team because it would take some time to get a sponsor (the Superdome finally got its FIRST sponsor after 4 decades of Louisiana paying the Saints). The tax payers would vote yes because they will stop going to the doctor just to pay more taxes for a sports team, yes?
Or the people with old money will pay for it all? You don't realize how much money is tied up with professional sports.
Here we go again

"Oh the horror of building a stadium that will pay for itself in a matter of 5 years or less, oh the horror of not using NISSAN as a sponsor or even TOYOTA!, it just won't work oh the horror, We could never convince the "Old Money" to buy a team oh no, think of all the crime and undesirables that will flood our state, oh noooooo!!!!"

my "Old Money" comment was just an example. It's plenty of business people that could get together and do it. ie-Downtown Partners, perfect example of a group that came together to get some things DONE, in Jackson. While everybody else is sitting on there hands.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:44 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,341,685 times
Quote:
Here we go again

"Oh the horror of building a stadium that will pay for itself in a matter of 5 years or less, oh the horror of not using NISSAN as a sponsor or even TOYOTA!, it just won't work oh the horror, We could never convince the "Old Money" to buy a team oh no, think of all the crime and undesirables that will flood our state, oh noooooo!!!!"

my "Old Money" comment was just an example. It's plenty of business people that could get together and do it. ie-Downtown Partners, perfect example of a group that came together to get some things DONE, in Jackson. While everybody else is sitting on there hands.
A profitable team will pay for a stadium. It would remain half empty with no luxury box seats being sold. No sponsor would put its name on a building that would be empty in the next 5 years.
How old are you? Have to be under 20 not to understand this common sense.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:45 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,586,197 times
Quote:
the companies are bringing in workers who are already trained.
"A tool and die maker at the sprawling Nissan plant near Canton, Jamie Brown had to undergo intensive pre-employment training to learn the ropes.

http://orig.clarionledger.com/news/nissan/z2ci.jpg (broken link)

Nissan employees Conway Baham (foreground) of Florence and Marty Smith of Louisville began training for their maintenance jobs at Nissan in Tennessee with classroom and hands-on work. Many employees of Nissan's Canton plant also spent time training at Nissan auto plants in Japan.

Brown, 39, a Florence resident, worked as a machinist during a four-year hitch in the Navy through 1990 and as a tool and die maker since in the Jackson area. But he still needed to learn much more before Nissan hired him as a tool and die maker in the stamping plant.
"Everything they (Nissan) do is a little different,'' Brown said. "Everything out here is large.''

Instead of working in small tool and die shops in central Mississippi towns like Flora with 20 other co-workers, Brown is part of an energetic, high-tech Nissan team with nearly 1,700 people on site and the number of employees to triple in size."

"Initially, many of the new Nissan employees traveled by bus to the Tennessee plant for training. Now such travel is done on a limited basis — about once a month."

"The training is money well spent to prepare thousands of Mississippians to work at "one of the most advanced auto facilities in the world,'' said Sherry Vance, Mississippi Development Authority director of communications."

The Clarion-Ledger: 2003 Nissan Special (http://orig.clarionledger.com/news/nissan/z2c.html - broken link)

Quote:
I was one of the thousands Nissan denied a job when they first broke ground in the state.
When far more people applied than there were available jobs, many people were turned down.

Quote:
Quick question: How many people do you know personally that work for Nissan or Toyota?
I know one who is employed by a company who is contracted to manage and staff the cafeteria at the Toyota plant in Blue Springs. She is the cafeteria manager.

I know of 2 others who are employed by suppliers for Toyota.

That is my point. Even if Toyota and Nissan didn't hire a single Mississippi resident (which they do), suppliers for both companies employ thousands of Mississippians.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
A profitable team will pay for a stadium. It would remain half empty with no luxury box seats being sold. No sponsor would put its name on a building that would be empty in the next 5 years.
How old are you? Have to be under 20 not to understand this common sense.
And you know this how? that's my point. YOU DON'T KNOW THIS. you're just speculating to fit your ideals of it not working.

Fact is, as I've already stated, the NFL wouldn't let a team go under. EVEN IF IT WAS IN MISSISSIPPI.

Do you understand business at all? Do you need help understanding the NFL and it's shareholders and why teams can move without missing a dollar?

Old 01-31-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post

I know one who is employed by a company who is contracted to manage and staff the cafeteria at the Toyota plant in Blue Springs. She is the cafeteria manager.

I know of 2 others who are employed by suppliers for Toyota.

That is my point. Even if Toyota and Nissan didn't hire a single Mississippi resident (which they do), suppliers for both companies employ thousands of Mississippians.
I knew you would come up with some...lol...you had to...to save face. I get it.

Now, here's a doozy of a question for you...

Why is it that Nissan and Toyota can somehow work in Mississippi but a Sports Team cannot?

I'd love to hear your logic behind this one.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:08 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,586,197 times
Quote:
I knew you would come up with some...lol...you had to...to save face. I get it.

Now, here's a doozy of a question for you...

Why is it that Nissan and Toyota can somehow work in Mississippi but a Sports Team cannot?

I'd love to hear your logic behind this one.
If you would like to call me a liar, just do it. Don't disguise it.

Fact is, I know 3 people employed as a result of Toyota coming to Mississippi.

Toyota and Nissan do not rely on the people of Mississippi to be profitable. They manufacture and sell vehicles all over the world. They provide jobs for people based on demand for their vehicles worldwide.

An NFL team would rely on people buying tickets and merchandise in a small area to be profitable.

A Mississippi NFL team would not draw enough people to keep them going with 2 SEC and several smaller conference college teams in the state, not to mention the small population of the state.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
If you would like to call me a liar, just do it. Don't disguise it.

Fact is, I know 3 people employed as a result of Toyota coming to Mississippi.
I don't know you well enough to call you a liar. I'll just say "ok".

Quote:
Toyota and Nissan do not rely on the people of Mississippi to be profitable. They manufacture and sell vehicles all over the world. They provide jobs for people based on demand for their vehicles worldwide.

An NFL team would rely on people buying tickets and merchandise in a small area to be profitable.

A Mississippi NFL team would not draw enough people to keep them going with 2 SEC and several smaller conference college teams in the state, not to mention the small population of the state.
hahaha...so all those cars and trucks don't need to be bought by locals at all huh?

sounds like my football ticket analogy.

Fact is, Mississippi has never had an industry like Nissan or Toyota so they are going to work. any industry that moves to an area with nothing is bound to flourish.

If you don't want a NFL/NBA team in Mississippi just say that, don't disguise it...lol...sound familiar?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi