Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2010, 12:30 PM

66 posts, read 201,784 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
There is a possibily that my job may be moving to the V.A. in Biloxi. Where do people live in the area? I've been looking at the forums, and there is a lot of talk about home owners insurance and hurricane related insurance. North I-10 there are a couple of communities that look nice on Google street view, and realtor.com. How far north I-10 do you need to be for the insurances to be more affordable? I would be looking at a house around 150K. Also, what are the school districts like? Any help would be appreciated.
Chuck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 07:44 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,110,072 times
According to schooldigger.com, North Woolmarket Elementary and Middle School is ranked 4th among the state's 432 elementary schools. This is up Highway 67 north of Biloxi and north of I-10. Three other schools north of I-10 that rank high (in the top 25 or 30 out of 432 schools) are West Wortham north of Gulfport, Lizana also north of Gulfport, and North Hancock which is north of Diamondhead over in Hancock County. Diamondhead is really nice but it's a good 40 miles down I-10 from Biloxi.

These all pop on the map at schooldigger.com, so you can look for neighborhoods near these schools. You will have no problem finding a house for $150k.

Two of the top schools in the state are in Long Beach and Pass Christian but those are closer to the beach so probably higher insurance rates. Ocean Springs is probably the most popular school and suburban community but it's also south of I-10 and closer to the beach. But there are plenty of affordable neighborhoods in this area also.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:53 AM

66 posts, read 201,784 times
Thanks for the reply, brickpatio. Diamond Head was one of the areas that I was looking at. I've lived in areas where I had a fairly long commute, so I'm not too concerned with that. Of course, i'd like to live closer to work, and both Biloxi and Ocean Springs look really nice. I'm just not sure if I can afford it.
Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi