Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,268 times

Advertisements

I have lived in the Missoula area most my life. I am now looking for other options. Msla Is a nice place but it won't matter what part of MT you live in. This state will drain everything you have!!! You have one life, don't wast it dreaming of making it in a place that it won't happen. Don't mean to bring hopes down but just being honest. If you aren't born into it here, you will not make it. Please listen. I have seen it know matter what you make or what you do for work in Mt. It's a razor's edge with no back ups. You make nothing here and homes are as much as California. I say if you cant pull $80k+ here you will be out of here in less than 5yrs. I see it all the time! I have family homes here and it's the only way I have made it this long. Try down south. I see the price of homes are CHEEP and more cities to work out of than putting all your eggs in one basket in Msla. Don't belive me on Mt? Move here, loose your savings, your youth, and even your wife if you live here. The wife part is true, Hard times here and ALOT of guy's who don't care if she is married. Good luck to you and your family! Don't make the MT Mistake like so many others!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The state has no intrest in providing jobs that will support life here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 09:34 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,756,808 times
^Bitter much?!^

Old 10-06-2011, 06:28 AM

1,368 posts, read 3,218,221 times
Maybe you should move to the eastern half, which is the half that actually has a working economy. The western half is full of Californians, trust fund babies (particularly in Bozeman) and other assorted economic black holes. I lived just fine on 40k in Billngs and had a lot of fun doing it.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:08 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,380,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS729 View Post
What about $50k? If I took a second job

Only you and your wife can determine if you have the mental toughness to struggle, and whether the benefits of the job and location are worth the sacrifice. However, with "a baby on the way" your relationships dynamics will change. This is not a negative criticism, it is just fact. Taking a second job when your wife needs you more and you want to spend time with your child, may have hidden "costs". Good luck in whatever you decide.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:48 PM

213 posts, read 697,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
The western half is full of Californians, trust fund babies (particularly in Bozeman) and other assorted economic black holes.
I thought Missoula was the trust fund babies haven...

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, I feel the need to weigh in after reading MTBS's post.

While it's true that our economy isn't great, wages are low and housing not exactly cheap (or cheep), I don't see the picture nearly as bleak as MTBS does. It takes a certain type of personality to be happy in Montana, but for those who fit the type, the benefits of living here balance out all the negatives.

$40K probably isn't enough to buy a house on unless you have a big savings account for a down payment, but it's still a pretty good starting wage for Missoula. Is this the type of job where you would likely get salary increases after the first few years? Are the benefits good? If yes to either, you're off to a good start.

If you're looking for a low-key, comfortable but basic lifestyle and you're good at budgeting and watching your money, you'll do fine. I know a lot of people who are perfectly comfortable and happy in the Missoula area in similar salaries. If you like extravagances, the "best money can buy", or if you aren't good at tracking your expenses and budgeting, it will be a lot tougher.

One thing that's nice about the Missoua area is there is always somethinig to do, for little or no cost. The outdoors is always there, and it doesn't cost a dime to go on a hike, bike ride, river float, snowshoing, watch a sunset, etc. So if you're outdoorsy, it's a big plus. Downtown Missoula always has stuff going on too, especially in the summer - farmer's market, River Roots festival, Out to Lunch, First Friday's - all things you can enjoy without spending anything, or just a little.

So don't get discouraged by other posts - if the Montana lifestyle sounds like something that you would like, it's definitely possible to be happy here - just think over your priorities realistically.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:07 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,123,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBS View Post
I have lived in the Missoula area most my life. I am now looking for other options. Msla Is a nice place but it won't matter what part of MT you live in. This state will drain everything you have!!! You have one life, don't wast it dreaming of making it in a place that it won't happen. Don't mean to bring hopes down but just being honest. If you aren't born into it here, you will not make it. Please listen. I have seen it know matter what you make or what you do for work in Mt. It's a razor's edge with no back ups. You make nothing here and homes are as much as California. I say if you cant pull $80k+ here you will be out of here in less than 5yrs. I see it all the time! I have family homes here and it's the only way I have made it this long. Try down south. I see the price of homes are CHEEP and more cities to work out of than putting all your eggs in one basket in Msla. Don't belive me on Mt? Move here, loose your savings, your youth, and even your wife if you live here. The wife part is true, Hard times here and ALOT of guy's who don't care if she is married. Good luck to you and your family! Don't make the MT Mistake like so many others!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The state has no intrest in providing jobs that will support life here.
........ahhhh, come on now MTBS, Tell us how you "REALLY" feel about Missoula and Montana....... Enough of this "sugar-coating" & "positive hype".....Lets hear your "real feelings".

Old 10-12-2011, 07:20 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
Maybe you should move to the eastern half, which is the half that actually has a working economy. The western half is full of Californians, trust fund babies (particularly in Bozeman) and other assorted economic black holes. I lived just fine on 40k in Billngs and had a lot of fun doing it.
This is really something to consider. Billings may not have the scenery that Missoula has, but it does have much of the same shopping and much of the same restaurants that Missoula. It also tends to have a milder climate. You also don't have the major university (not sure if that's good or bad in your mind). You are also a little less than three hours from the northeast entrance to Yellowstone on a very scenic drive.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:32 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,181,366 times
I wouldn't want to raise a family in Missoula on $40-50k a year. Not the way that I personally prefer to raise a family anyway.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBS View Post
The state has no intrest in providing jobs that will support life here.
I'll be moving from Ohio to Conner, Mt. next year. I have no intention of expecting the state of Montana, nor any state for that matter, to "provide" me a job. That's one of the reasons I'm leaving Ohio...too many folks expecting too much.

Create a job, or volunteer to work for nothing until you prove that you are worth it. Or...move to Ohio, they give everything away here!

Old 11-19-2011, 03:04 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
40k is a good salary for Wolf Point, Glasgow, Havre, Malta, Cut Bank, Glendive...

Missoula? Only if your wife works, and you have parents who help you out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana > Missoula