Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 04:29 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,538,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
That would likely have been me and I make no apologies for it. Perhaps we MO Ozarkers are either more discerning or simply prefer things the way they are here and don't want a lot of "progressiveness" introduced into our social environment. When someone from elsewhere, no matter where it is, bursts on board telling us how we should act, what they will and won't stand for and how they'll hope to open our eyes for us, we pretty much collectively take umbrage. It's that lovely spirit of independence and individuality that prevails here.
You don't have to apologize. You are who you are, and at least you get over to some other states' threads to see what people were saying. It's just wrong, however, to think that the tone of which we speak here is universal, even throughout the South or the Midwest.

For a while, I thought the OP was running a joke-- about five minutes' reading of the Missouri (non-KC or StL) threads would have sufficed to educate him as to the prevailing thought pattern. Or rent "Winter's Bone" on video.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 08:25 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,656,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Essentially the same question, from a person who describes him/herself much the same as the OP here, on the Arkansas board. Only one contributor to that thread had the same kind of tone as the prevailing one on this thread.
and here's one from this forum that went quite differently, of course this person didin't come in with additude...Relocate to Ashland or another small town in the area?

Old 03-24-2011, 11:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,316 times
I kow this post is a couple of months out but if you are still considering Missouri, I thought you might like my opinion.
I am a 52 year old single woman; I moved to Missouri (my birthplace) a year and a half ago to be close to family members. In that time, dealing with family issues, I have lived in Springfield, Buffalo and just outside of Jefferson City. This is generally how I feel about Missouri.

1. Cost of Living: Seems VERY affordable.
I find Missouri to be affordable.

2. Education: I don't know anything in this area.

3. Culture: I am about as liberal and loving as they come. I accept a wide range of diversity, but I do NOT like discrimination. If I see it or hear it, I WILL say something. I do not like sterotyping, but us West Coasters have a narrow view of the south as...well... not friendly to people who are not white or hetero sexual... is this the wrong idea to have? Are there pockets of places where open minded people cluster

I too am much more open minded than not and being friendly is just the way I am. I can tell you that as a rule Missouri has not welcomed me. I find people to be very much to themselves; they don't say hello or thank you or anything remotely related to social interaction and actually, I feel like they want me to go away.
Columbia seems to be where "open minded people cluster" but I'm not sure about the affordability.

4. Land: It looks beautiful... not as hilly as Oregon, but kind of swampy and foresty looking on Wikipedia. I like nature, water, and being outside so I hope to be somewhere that is pretty.
It IS beautiful here... REALLY WOW!

I do not want to rush into a place where I am seen as a CRAZY transplant who is rejected for my values, and always hitting my head against a wall...
That's exactly where I am.

Good Luck to you!

Old 03-24-2011, 12:41 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
I always greet the news that someone doesn't feel welcome or is unable to fit in when they move to a new state with some surprise. I've lived in nine states in different areas and three other countries. I have never had a problem fitting in and getting along. Some I've liked more than others but there's only one I wouldn't care to return to and it certainly isn't Missouri, which I don't plan to leave in the first place.

I think predominant problems for some transplants can be unrealistic expectations, preconceived notions and an inability to truly let go of from whence they came. Sometimes they seem to forget why they left there in the first place and begin to compare where they end up unfavorably. To me that makes no sense. I've always approached major moves as adventures but perhaps that been made easy for me having been brought up in the military and spent many years in it myself.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,158 times
I currently live in the Colorado Springs area--redneck USA--and spent 5 years in Portland, Oregon, which we loved. I have to add we lived here in CO Springs for 11 years prior to the PDX gig.

Background: I grew up in Wichita, Kansas. Both my parents are from the Ozarks. I spent every summer there. I'm very, very familiar with it, and have set at least three of my 12 books in that region. So don't tell me I don't know the region. I do...

Get over the redneck stuff--now. Colorado Springs has become so redneck, right wing fundamentalist, hardcore we aren't paying for anythign no taxes up tight, that they don't even have trash cans in the parks anymore!!!!!!! Please don't go there. The people in this city have to ADOPT street lights. Are you going to adopt trash cans next? Give me a break!

Live and let live. Read some Mark Twain. He knew what was what, and he was from the Show-Me State. Seriously. Get with Mark Twain... A very wise man...

I just finished reading a bit of satire by him written from the viewpoint of the family dog. Just goes to show you the family dog is the wisest member of the household, and I'm still bawling.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:06 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
^Seriously, the idea of being so right-wing that you're unwilling to pay for basic city services like lightposts on city streets is stunning to me. Usually people hate taxes until things get cut that they care about, but the backlash in CS was strangely missing.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:23 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debstover View Post
I currently live in the Colorado Springs area--redneck USA--and spent 5 years in Portland, Oregon, which we loved. I have to add we lived here in CO Springs for 11 years prior to the PDX gig.

Background: I grew up in Wichita, Kansas. Both my parents are from the Ozarks. I spent every summer there. I'm very, very familiar with it, and have set at least three of my 12 books in that region. So don't tell me I don't know the region. I do...

Get over the redneck stuff--now. Colorado Springs has become so redneck, right wing fundamentalist, hardcore we aren't paying for anythign no taxes up tight, that they don't even have trash cans in the parks anymore!!!!!!! Please don't go there. The people in this city have to ADOPT street lights. Are you going to adopt trash cans next? Give me a break!

Live and let live. Read some Mark Twain. He knew what was what, and he was from the Show-Me State. Seriously. Get with Mark Twain... A very wise man...

I just finished reading a bit of satire by him written from the viewpoint of the family dog. Just goes to show you the family dog is the wisest member of the household, and I'm still bawling.
Who, exactly, are you addressing the "get over the redneck stuff" remark to?

Old 06-02-2011, 04:08 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,687,896 times
Quote:

If you agree with "live and let live", then how come it shouldn't apply to the situation you describe? Why can't the government "Live and let live"? If those people believe that is the best way to run their city than let them. I agree that sounds pretty d$^% crazy to refuse to pay for street lights but hey if that's how they wanna live they should be able to do it.

We aren't talkin bout "Redneck Stuff" in these threads. When I have someone ask how it would be to move here and then proceed to put us in a box of "States with narrow minded attitudes in the South or Midwest" then I really quit givin a damn what that person thinks & I DON'T WANT THEM TO MOVE HERE! But that's fine most Left Coasters stay away from SE Missouri cause it's their absolute worst nightmare .

So to anyone thinkin about moving to Missouri, come with an open mind or don't come at all. This is comparable to the idiots who post in the Mississippi forum wondering if the KKK is going to meet them at the state line if their not a WASP. Good grief

Old 06-02-2011, 08:20 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Background: I grew up in Wichita, Kansas. Both my parents are from the Ozarks. I spent every summer there. I'm very, very familiar with it, and have set at least three of my 12 books in that region. So don't tell me I don't know the region. I do....
Deb, correct me if I'm wrong but your writing genre is romance novels and they tend to be heavy on embellishment and drama. Now I'll grant you that compared to some, if not many, I'm a mere neophyte here but I live in the Ozarks fulltime through all four seasons and while the hill country has its own, unique personality and culture, as do its denizens I wouldn't use "redneck" to describe it.

Unlike hair color, it takes more than genes to be an Ozarker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
But that's fine most Left Coasters stay away from SE Missouri cause it's their absolute worst nightmare .
And I'm really glad!

Old 06-02-2011, 09:54 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
And I'm really glad!
As am I!
I'll be in Missouri in 2 weeks, I can hardly wait!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri