Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 07:00 PM

694 posts, read 1,357,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
Do most homes in Joplin and the surrounding area have reinforced storm shelters?
Maybe a real estate agent can answer that more thoroughly but based off my history of house hunting in the SW Missouri area, the answer would be emphatically 'no'. Basements aren't 'uncommon' but I would saw they are more common in older homes, and in newer subdivisions built on 'less than flat lots'.

The Weather Channel is reporting two police officers struck by lightning in Joplin this evening, condition unknown. This town has been under the gun on and off all day long. And they are saying tomorrow could be dicey yet again.

Mother Nature is being a real pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 07:18 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,387,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
One person I remember from that area is DocGSD. I haven't seen him around the forums in a long time so I don't know if he still lives in the area.
I checked his profile and it says he lives in New York now.

And I just remembered joetownmom lives down that way, I think.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:29 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,231,171 times
Prayers and thoughts to Joplin! So sad this tragedy.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:58 PM

19,217 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Such devastation, again in that part of the country. So many out here praying for everyone back there. ♥

Old 05-23-2011, 09:06 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,839 times
I am home for the night. Am very tired but we have taken a couple of people into our place because they lost everything. It rained on and off all day and it has been rather cool because of the darn rain. They are warning us about the weather tomorrow and Wednesday. Right now all of us are trying to wind down because we are all wired. I am telling you all, it is terrible and looks like a bomb just got dropped on the city.

On a side not, two police officer from KC area were in Joplin to help keep looters out and such got hit by lightening and are now hospitalized. Please keep them in your prayers if you wouldn't mind.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:37 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,060,436 times
Deep thoughts to all. Condolences to those that have lost. Best wishes to those in future paths.

The stories and images that have been shared so far, amazing.

Shock, grief and relief grip Joplin - USATODAY.com
Quote:
...Even by the standards of this spring's massive tornado destruction across the South and Midwest, the Joplin tornado was enormous. It was the deadliest tornado in the USA since 1947, when 181 people were killed in Woodward, Okla. With the death toll at 116, it is the ninth-deadliest single tornado in U.S. history. ...
In Joplin, Mo., Tornado Destruction 'Looks Like an Artillery Barrage' | PBS NewsHour | May 23, 2011 | PBS
Quote:
... GWEN IFILL: And so, by the time you came out of that closet and you emerged and walked around or drove around, if you were able, your neighborhood, what did you see? I'm seeing what's behind you, and it's kind of amazing.

TIM METCALF: It's extremely amazing.

Well, when I walked outside of my neighborhood, I saw some trees down, some minimal damage to my neighborhood. But, soon thereafter, a family member came and picked me up after he heard that it was -- the storm was pretty much centered near my neighborhood. He was worried about me. And he picked me up and we drove back through Joplin north.

And that's when three blocks into the drive, we saw this. And it left me speechless. We didn't really talk to each other all the way to our destination, because we were just speechless. ...
To help those in need:
How to help victims of the Joplin tornado - USATODAY.com

And to prepare for the next ones:
Tornado warnings' effectiveness questioned after deadly twister - CNN.com
Quote:
... Yet despite warnings, watches and sirens, at least 116 people were killed when the twister roared through the southwestern Missouri city early Sunday evening. While insisting that forecasters' alerts went according to plan, the head of the National Weather Service said Monday that the plan -- and how it is communicated -- was not effective enough.

"We need to ask ourselves, what can we do to protect Americans?" said Jack Hayes, the federal agency's director. "I have to say, it's not enough. We have to do more." ...
Tornadoes

http://www.nssl.noaa.gov/edu/safety/tornadoguide.html

Be prepared, be warned, be safe,,,

Old 05-23-2011, 10:09 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Heart to Heart International is helping with the rescue/relief efforts. Their first medical and relief "convoy" left the Kansas City area for Joplin this evening.

Donations and volunteer information can be found on their website: Heart to Heart - Home

You may earmark your donations to "Joplin tornado relief".

I'd also add that Missouri Task Force 1 arrived on the scene in the wee hours following the tornado with supplies and seach/rescue manpower/search & rescue dogs. They are supported but underfunded though our federal and state tax dollars and need our support.

Another article filled with "how to help" links: http://www.ky3.com/news/ky3-convoy-of-hope-collecting-donations-for-tornado-victims-20110523,0,3745663,full.story (broken link)

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 05-23-2011 at 10:28 PM..

Old 05-23-2011, 10:26 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,860,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
My prayers go out to the deceased and the survivors.

Do most homes in Joplin and the surrounding area have reinforced storm shelters?
A small sampling of the homes my family in Joplin lives/ed there are 5 houses and one lived in an apartment complex that is now demolished. Out of those 5 stick built homes, one has a small cellar and the rest have no shelter and are on perimeter foundations. 4 of them are older homes and one is a typical ranch house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
I am home for the night. Am very tired but we have taken a couple of people into our place because they lost everything. It rained on and off all day and it has been rather cool because of the darn rain. They are warning us about the weather tomorrow and Wednesday. Right now all of us are trying to wind down because we are all wired. I am telling you all, it is terrible and looks like a bomb just got dropped on the city.

On a side not, two police officer from KC area were in Joplin to help keep looters out and such got hit by lightening and are now hospitalized. Please keep them in your prayers if you wouldn't mind.
I hope help comes soon to everyone who needs it so they can begin to heal. So thankful for people like you who are there for others especially when this has to be so hard for you.

I'm still praying for everyone.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 05-24-2011 at 05:45 AM..

Old 05-23-2011, 10:59 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,828 times
A shout out from Tulsa.....I'm so sorry for the devastation in Joplin. You guys are very close to my home, and hate to see your community suffering this way. It is good to see how everyone is helping one another.

The Tulsa meteorologists were covering the storms as they were also in NE OK and so many reports were coming in from the storm chasers as this was happening and right after. Even with them saying how bad it was, it's hard to grasp. All of you are in my thoughts and I'm sorry for your losses.

Today, I'm in Portland so I'm away, but I keep hearing that more severe weather is happening. Hope everyone stays safe.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:04 AM

34 posts, read 104,085 times
My family must be jinxed. My cousins in Tuscaloosa lost everything, all my relatives living in Joplin lost everything, Dad was in the Nashville flood last year, and Mom barely got out of Reading, KS before the tornado hit there the other day. Wondering if those old tornado dreams I had as a kid are beginning to come true, chasing us all over the place.

Well, they did survive. The ones in AL and MO have their bathtubs and God to thank. All the horror stories all my family told me of flying bodies and dead children--can't get it out of my mind. Now I'm debating hopping in the truck with the kids and dogs and pulling the horses in the trailer tomorrow to, oh, Boise or Tuscon or something. We have a whole week of big 'uns coming my way, and I really don't want to be here. *sigh*

I was thinking, too-- donating money to the Red Cross etc. is a great way to help, but if you have family in these destroyed places, I would suggest helping them first so that outside help could go to other people who have no family or other resources. I'm going to hit some estate sales to find furniture and things, and give grocery gift cards.

Sure wish all my cousins would have had Renter's Insurance.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 05-24-2011 at 05:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri