Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 10:57 PM

543 posts, read 855,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
They're not really pro south in my opinion, I think they just tend to regionalize a bit more due to the Post Dispatch's influence in the Mississippi Hills Region and other areas in proximity to St. Louis. The online newspapers from Cape down to at least Blytheville Arkansas use the same style webpage, not sure if they're owned by the same company or not though . Not uncommon to see the same things discussed in the SE Missourian as the Sikeston Standard Democrat.
Could be owned by the same company.
It would make sense because They're culturally in the same region basically and people in SEMO would identify southern, and not midwestern like Stl, Ste Gen ect as much.

Also the two southernmost bootheel counties sometimes tend to be lumped in with northern Mississippi and memphis regionally when it comes to news stations, and other stuff. Like the National Weather Service Memphis office covers the bootheel, as well as Northern Mississippi as well.

Glad there are other conservatives on here!

Old 10-13-2011, 11:00 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,021,617 times
Gunner, not sure if you have noticed this, but you and I seem to be the only posters that are from SEMO, and have any feet on the ground knowledge of it.
Just thought I would mention that.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:01 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,689,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
Could be owned by the same company.
It would make sense because They're culturally in the same region basically and people in SEMO would identify southern, and not midwestern like Stl, Ste Gen ect as much.

Also the two southernmost bootheel counties sometimes tend to be lumped in with northern Mississippi and memphis regionally when it comes to news stations, and other stuff. Like the National Weather Service Memphis office covers the bootheel, as well as Northern Mississippi as well.

Glad there are other conservatives on here!
Well apparently Cape isn't too southern according to the graffiti "We are in the UNION" "Move to cemetery in the South". The ignorance would be funny if it wasn't such a despicable act.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Well apparently Cape isn't too southern according to the graffiti "We are in the UNION" "Move to cemetery in the South". The ignorance would be funny if it wasn't such a despicable act.
I do believe you and I are the only ones that appreciate the irony of all this.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:06 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,709,355 times
Quote:
Perhaps it was Communists, or Muslims, are we burning the Reichstag here?

Old 10-13-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I do believe you and I are the only ones that appreciate the irony of all this.
The sad part is there is no way someone with any knowledge of history could have been that dense. As I said the irony would be completely comedic if it wasn't this type of monument.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Perhaps it was Communists, or Muslims, are we burning the Reichstag here?
Or perhaps -gasp-, could it have possibly been young people that have nothing better to do?
Lord knows, they deface the old cemetery in Ste Genevieve on a regular basis.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Yea.

Most younger people know nothing about the COnfederacy. Seriously. Most probably don't even know how many states there were, or what each star on the flag stands for.

Most people don't even know texas was a COnfederate state because you don't see them reffered to the south much anymore.

As for Kentucky, and Missouri, West VIrginia and even TN you don't even see them mentioned in textbooks that much despite some of the bloodiest battles took place in those states.

My textbook from this spring from my historical class to its credit at least mentioned Missouri some, and how Lincoln kept Missouri and kentucky under union control. Still left big patches out, but at least mentioned Missouri and Kentucky, and I think it mentioned Pea Ridge as well. First textbook that at least mentioned a little bit.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Btw men from Cape did serve in the Confederate army, and they also had their own company as well.

The dummy who did the spraypainting was accurate to an extent because there was a battle in Cape Giradeau, and the union took the city and occupied it for the rest of the war. So yes it was a Union City.

Rolla was the same way too. It decided to side with the Confederacy until the union moved in and took the town due to its important location because of the railroad.

One must wonder if Cape and Rolla was not held by the Union if MO would have been under complete confederate control because Sterling Price could have more easily got men up the MS river, and up thru Rolla, and attack St. Louis easier and cut the supplies off.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Btw men from Cape did serve in the Confederate army, and they also had their own company as well.

The dummy who did the spraypainting was accurate to an extent because there was a battle in Cape Giradeau, and the union took the city and occupied it for the rest of the war. So yes it was a Union City.

Rolla was the same way too. It decided to side with the Confederacy until the union moved in and took the town due to its important location because of the railroad.

One must wonder if Cape and Rolla was not held by the Union if MO would have been under complete confederate control because Sterling Price could have more easily got men up the MS river, and up thru Rolla, and attack St. Louis easier and cut the supplies off.
onegoal, this monument is for the confederate soldiers from Cape so of course there were.

And the spray paint was accurate in the sense that EVERY state is in the Union! I thought it was 2011?

I don't know enough about Rolla to comment about it so I'll leave it at that. I've heard bits and pieces during my stays here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri