Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 02:52 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times

Advertisements

I'm taking a cross country trip with some friends in August from Baltimore to L.A. and will going through Missouri on I-70 and Route 40. I know that route takes us very close to Sedalia where the state fair is held during that time and the pics online make it seem to be a cute town, is that accurate? We have mostly lived on the East Coast most of our lives (I've also lived in the deep south though that was a LONG time ago) and figure getting off the freeway and visiting some of the towns would be a great experience to see the real America away from the coasts.

Is the Missouri state fair very touristy or can we get a good, authentic heartland, Middle American experience? Is it douable in a single afternoon or should we plan for a full day in Sedalia if we go? Is Sedalia truly an authentic small heartland town or it very overdeveloped and commercialized with chain businesses? We are deciding between the Missouri state fair and the Indiana state fair. Indiana's appeal is that Rascal Flatts and Kellie Pickler are playing there but the fair is held in Indianapolis, a major city so we figure Sedalia would give us more of that real American feel. How different are the cultural experiences in Missouri vs. Indiana? Anyone care to sell Sedalia over Indiana?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 08:01 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
The Sedalia State Fair is probably much more of an authentic midwestern fair than something that takes place in a major city like Indy. I have been to fairs like that and they tend to be giant carnivals for the metro, not a true state fair.

Sedalia is pretty close to KC, much of MO is urban (KC, StL, Columbia, Springfield etc), so I think the MO Fair is probably attended by far more "city" people than many Midwestern state fairs, but you will still get a solid cultural experience of the rural midwest by visiting.

I personally can't stand it myself. I have gone to the MO state fair a few times and it's just not my cup of tea. Not in the least .

Sedailia itself is the real deal. A small Midwestern town, but one of the bigger ones around. They have a walmart and applebees and a few other chain places, so it’s not real small and it’s sort of a gateway to the Lakes from KC, so it gets a lot of KC traffic heading to the lakes. But the locals are pretty authentic small town working class America.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:39 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
During the week is when many of the livestock showing/judging events take place. The Midway of the fair is pretty slow during the first few days and it is easy to see much of it in an afternoon. When I go to the state fair I do just that and do not spend time in Sedalia itself. You'd want to swing S. of I-0 at Hwy 65 to %0 hwy to get to he State Fair.

I think each state fair is different and offers what is unique to state or that area of the country. The old fairground buildings are one of the things I enjoy most of the MO State Fair. Beautiful old brick and limestone structures.

Why not take the time to hit both state fairs and compare?

Boonville may be a better stop along your I-70 tour for a look at small town Missouri than Sedalia. Really, what I consider the more quaint Missouri small towns are well off the I-70 corridor.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:26 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,537,231 times
The Missouri one's ok but I have to say, I really love the Iowa sate fair, primarily for the food...just an astonishing variety (http://www.iowastatefair.com/services/fooddirectory.php - broken link). But yes, the buildings at the Missouri one are interesting. The entertainment (http://www.mostatefair.com/Pepsi-Grandstand.php - broken link) list didn't impress me, but then c/w's not my thing, and I feel a little sorry for Sheryl Crow now.

Did the goober burger place ever find a new home in Sedalia?

Too bad you're not traveling later-- I'd strongly recommend the American Royal in Kansas City, but that's not for a while.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:37 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,695,127 times
Sedalia state fair, is expensive. We lived close enough to walk there, and went one time. The concerts arent too bad.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:10 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Sedalia is the gateway to the Ozarks so I wouldn't exactly classify it as being totally Midwestern. As a fair it has a good bit going on, but I wouldn't go again. One of my favorite fairs is Merrimack County, NH at Hopkinton. Truly an old-fashioned country fair.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 05-15-2010 at 06:43 PM..

Old 05-14-2010, 11:58 PM

543 posts, read 2,310,352 times
Yes, Wheel Inn home of the goober burger is south of the original location on Hwy 65 on the east side of the highway.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:08 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
The ozarks isn't midwestern?

Old 05-15-2010, 06:47 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
The ozarks isn't midwestern?
The Ozarks are not very Midwestern compared to much of Illinois, Iowa, or Indiana. Yes, tell me places like Pilot Knob, Lebanon, or Ava are very Midwestern...
The heart of the Ozarks (southeast MO) actually has much more in common with areas like eastern KY, southwest VA, etc compared to Midwestern geographical areas. Half the roads in some areas are called hollows as well. I think I know my rural MO areas pretty well.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:32 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
Thanks for all the advice. I think with the timing we're probably going to Missouri over Indiana after all. Iowa will be too far out of the way since its the central route across the country while Iowa is more northern. I didn't know the Ozarks were that far west, always thought they were around the Bootheel and toward the Arkansas border.

It will still be great if Sedalia is a mix of midwestern and Southern. I've went to local festivals in tiny towns in the southern states but that's always been a good experience. Sedalia will be a great place to spend the night before heading over to Kansas. Need to definitely check out that burger place! I know Darius Rucker is playing at the Sedalia fair and he's one of my favorite artists but that will unfortuantely be too late in the summer, I have to be back in Baltimore by then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri