Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 02:37 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times

Advertisements

MO legislation would allow public transit riders to carry guns - KCTV 5

MO legislation would allow public transit riders to carry guns

Supporters said the change will create a safer environment on public transit.
-------------

Those carrying illegally will still carry illegally. Will this stop crime? It might.

Once the idea gets out there that you might catch some lead while robbing a bus. Then it surely might be a good deal. There might be a pile of bodies or so until things get lined out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 11:01 AM

492 posts, read 631,361 times
I agree, people are going to have to protect themselves. In Missouri, 129,577 people have a valid permit, good for 2 percent of the state's population, according to statistics from the Missouri Department of Revenue.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:04 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
This is less about keeping people using transportation safe while on the bus and allowing those who have been through the MHP background checks, training, and have legally obtained permits to carry while getting to and from destinations using the bus.

I suspect there would be an uptick in public transportation riders if legal CCW were allowed. I would be inclined to ride the bus in town if CCW were allowed. Since it is not, I do not. It really is that simple (understand that in Missouri CCW applies to knives and other weapons as well).

Old 04-16-2012, 10:40 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
This is less about keeping people using transportation safe while on the bus and allowing those who have been through the MHP background checks, training, and have legally obtained permits to carry while getting to and from destinations using the bus.

I suspect there would be an uptick in public transportation riders if legal CCW were allowed. I would be inclined to ride the bus in town if CCW were allowed. Since it is not, I do not. It really is that simple (understand that in Missouri CCW applies to knives and other weapons as well).
On the other hand, by far the most common crime on buses and light rail is pick pocketing. If you are going to carry a concealed firearm on the bus, you need to make sure it is very well secured.Would be sickening to arrive at your destination and find that your firearm was gone.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:02 PM

I am afraid that there will be more Trayvon Martin situations in the future. So many more people are carrying nowadays. I think we need to be, don't get me wrong.....just wishing for the good ole days when neighbor helped neighbor and you didn't have to worry about being robbed all of the time.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:41 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7gkids View Post
I am afraid that there will be more Trayvon Martin situations in the future. So many more people are carrying nowadays. I think we need to be, don't get me wrong.....just wishing for the good ole days when neighbor helped neighbor and you didn't have to worry about being robbed all of the time.
Crime is down in pretty much every major city in America. If you feel less safe now it has nothing to do with the actual danger you're in.

Given how little public transit exists throughout the state, this, to me, is something that each city or county should determine on their own through legislation. If Jeff City wants to allow this but Columbia or St. Louis doesn't, I see no reason the state should be involved.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Crime is down in pretty much every major city in America. If you feel less safe now it has nothing to do with the actual danger you're in.

Given how little public transit exists throughout the state, this, to me, is something that each city or county should determine on their own through legislation. If Jeff City wants to allow this but Columbia or St. Louis doesn't, I see no reason the state should be involved.
I feel less safe because we had a druggie crowbar our back door and steal everything that he could get his hands on. Is crime really down? Where di you see that info? I was under the impression that crime was up because of all the people on drugs need to make money some how and taking it from working people is easy.

As far as public transit goes...I would agree that each city should determine that for themselves. Keep the state out of it.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:25 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
.....................Given how little public transit exists throughout the state, this, to me, is something that each city or county should determine on their own through legislation. If Jeff City wants to allow this but Columbia or St. Louis doesn't, I see no reason the state should be involved.
I'm inclined to disagree on this one. A hodge-podge of firearms laws is not helpful to anyone and we see this in states which allow such nonsense. Currently firearms laws are made at the state level and for clarity sake of residents and visitors/tourists alike should remain so, IMO. YMMV

Old 04-17-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7gkids View Post
I feel less safe because we had a druggie crowbar our back door and steal everything that he could get his hands on. Is crime really down? Where di you see that info? I was under the impression that crime was up because of all the people on drugs need to make money some how and taking it from working people is easy.

As far as public transit goes...I would agree that each city should determine that for themselves. Keep the state out of it.
Here's a whole host of articles from the last couple of years. I'm not sure where you live, and it's entirely possible that crime is up in your specific area, but as a whole in major metro areas it is way down from the peaks of the '70s and '80s.

Why Crime Is Down in America's Cities - Richard Florida - National - The Atlantic

Drop in Violent Crime in D.C. Area and Some Other Major Cities Puzzles Experts

Technology helps property crime fall to 20-year low - USATODAY.com

Big Cities Are Safer Than Ever: US Crime at Lowest Level in 40 Years | The Utopianist - Think Bigger

Old 04-17-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I'm inclined to disagree on this one. A hodge-podge of firearms laws is not helpful to anyone and we see this in states which allow such nonsense. Currently firearms laws are made at the state level and for clarity sake of residents and visitors/tourists alike should remain so, IMO. YMMV
I understand your point, but I have a problem with a rep from Monroe or Phelps or St. Francois counties having a say in an issue that in no way relates to them. They have no public transportation, and clearly have no dog in this fight. I don't think state legislatures are the appropriate place to make decisions about what hapens with a city's public transportation, particularly in this case because the state of Missouri ranks near the bottom of the list for funding for public transit. They want nothing to do with the funding, so why should they be involved in decision making?

Personally, outside of the local control issues I talked about above, I can think of few things more dangerous than a gun on a train. Leave the law enforcement to the police officers specifically trained for that role.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri