Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2009, 06:12 PM

167 posts, read 451,644 times

Advertisements

God I love Missouri! you folks are great reading...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 12:26 PM

380 posts, read 963,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I don't mean to pick on Google Streetview, but what are they doing out here in the boonies?
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=1704+Elkhead+ Rd,+Bruner,+MO,+United+States&sll=37.004746,-92.991714&sspn=0.236885,0.4422&ie=UTF8&ll=37.03,-92.92172&spn=0.0148,0.027637&t=p&z=15&iwloc=addr&l ayer=c&cbll=37.027379,-92.915936&panoid=vs9F1sYt7EEqvxrKLoLQCQ&cbp=12,93. 40135108320686,,0,3.432685023116293

It says Arkansas, but if you look at the address it's in Bruner, MO.

Just curious that parts of urban St. Louis are not covered, but the boonies in Bruner are covered.
My guess is that the guy got lost!! Would explain why an Arkansas search turns up a Missouri space.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:40 PM

380 posts, read 963,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadingfleur View Post
Hi everybody, I am so happy to say that my husband and I just signed a contract on a little piece of paradise about 10 miles west of Houston.
Welcome to Missouri. We (husband and I) are originally from Sheboygan, Wisconsin and now live about 45 minutes south of your place near Pomona, Howell County.

Don't worry about the rocks. I used old utility poles to map out a raised bed and had a truckload of beautiful river bottom soil dumped into it. We grew tomatoes, carrots, lettuce, two types of squash, cucumbers, watermelon and cantelope. It isn't a big garden but produced a plentiful harvest.

The area in which we live is very rocky but was once the fruit center of Missouri. The Orchards at Olden (a mle south of us) were suppliers to most of the USA. Peaches and apples were everywhere.

I know other folks on this forum hate 'em, but we have loads of wild blackberries in the tree line and I picked and froze enough to grace our oatmeal all winter long.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:22 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,057,650 times
Nu2pomona - if ya ever EVER have need of someone to eat some of them blackberries, I will volunteer!

btw, great idea on the raised beds, that does work great... have done such many times/places.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:50 PM

8 posts, read 13,329 times
Thanks for the welcome everybody! Nu2pomona, I have been through Pomona many times on my shopping trips to West Plains from my husbands grandparents house way out in the sticks in Winona.

Matter of fact we are heading down for a long weekend tomorrow morning. I always can't wait to get down there. I really can't wait to live there.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:36 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,573,062 times
Rocks? In Missouri? Y'all just have to be kidding, right? lol....I don't think that there is a square foot of soil around here that is not home to rocks of all sizes and shapes. It took us years and many loads of soil hauled in to have a decent garden. Try planting itty bitty carrot and lettuce seeds in a rock garden. Hahahahaha. We did it finally. In a raised bed. Then I had to put sa chicken wire fence around my prized garden to keep deer, squirrel and 13 stripped squirrels out. The latter was the worse. Because, sadly, they would sometimes become stuck in the wire and I had to remove the poor little thieves.

Wild blackberries? Love them and I have a 10 yr. old gr.son that can pick them faster than anyone I know. And his father, my son, can eat them as fast as you can pick them. Makes for an almost empty bucket!!

Old 03-05-2009, 03:10 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
My dad has a small tomato garden out back. It doesn't seem like it's extremely rocky around here. But we're not deep into the Ozarks. A half hour southeast is flatland.

Poplar Bluff is interesting, because just north of it and in some parts of the town you have big hills, and just sound of the town toward Sikeston it is flat as a pancake.

Big cotton country down there. Good soil.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:34 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,383,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
Rocks? In Missouri? Y'all just have to be kidding, right? lol....I don't think that there is a square foot of soil around here that is not home to rocks of all sizes and shapes.
Missouri is a rocky state. Even northern Missouri has scattered rocky spots in between the good farmland. I refer to those areas as "Nozarks" (Northern Missouri Ozarks) When I moved up here, a realtor showed me a piece of country property and it had some rocky and steep spots. Now for a guy that's lived south of the Missouri River all his life, I felt right at home. I made an offer the same day and that was the first day I looked for property!

I've landscaped all the way around my house with retaining stone walls built from what I've found in the timber and occasionally out in one of my fields.

I lived here almost ten years. I'm not even close to running out of rocks

Old 03-05-2009, 09:37 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,579,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Missouri is a rocky state. Even northern Missouri has scattered rocky spots in between the good farmland. I refer to those areas as "Nozarks" (Northern Missouri Ozarks) When I moved up here, a realtor showed me a piece of country property and it had some rocky and steep spots. Now for a guy that's lived south of the Missouri River all his life, I felt right at home. I made an offer the same day and that was the first day I looked for property!

I've landscaped all the way around my house with retaining stone walls built from what I've found in the timber and occasionally out in one of my fields.

I lived here almost ten years. I'm not even close to running out of rocks
At least you you have enough to keep you busy and out of trouble.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:08 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
When we went to Laura Ingalls Wilder's house in Mansfield, they told a story about she and her husband spending a long time picking up the rocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri