Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 10:40 PM

7,442 posts, read 6,977,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I felt the same way after we drove to Phoenix and back, through Oklahoma, Texas and Arizona. Coming back, everything was so pretty and green. I live in Kansas City on the Kansas side. But there was such a sharp contrast in the scenery.

I also felt that way after traveling to California, where a lot of the houses are enclosed behind gates. It was so refreshing to come home and actually to be able to see beautiful houses and lawns instead of just gates and fences.
I flew to Denver a year or so ago on business and although it certainly has a beauty to it I talked to someone on the plane and we both remarked about how brown it was from the plane and we missed the trees and green.

Realize you get that in the mountains, but landing in the airport, very dry and brown looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 05:55 PM

3,825 posts, read 3,280,270 times
[quote=Flyover_Country;52824912]No, or at least not today it's not, and hasn't been for a while.

[quote]Branson is southern. I went there right before season when the place isn't as diluted from non locals. The accents were distinct as well and being from St. Louis you stand out.
Quote:

Yes you do, because being from St. Louis and being 50+ years old you have a very unusual nasal accent and saying you drove down "farty far" will peg you as being as being from St. Louis in an instant. I grew up a half hour west of 270 and we could tell somebody from inside of 270 very quickly by their "farts".

"Intrenched?" Your spell checker had a "fart"

10 miles north of Highway 60 is I-44 at the northern border of Springfield. Highway 60 runs through south Springfield. There isn't a noticeable cultural gradient through Springfield except that north Springfield is a dump while southern Springfield south of about Cherry is much nicer. Also, all of the people in redneck hick towns such as Ozark south of 60 that commute into Springfield really Southern the place up.

The "farts" wear off once you get into St. Charles County, let alone Phelps County. Civilization ends once you cross 270, don't you know that? You need to interview some more toothless white drunk/methed-up trailer trash wearing a stained wifebeater at the truck stop in Villa Ridge to remind yourself of that, just like all of the TV stations in St. Louis did from at least the 1980s to the present.
Everyone on here pretty much agrees near highway 60 is the dividing line between southern and the transition zone. Except far eastern MO north of that in places like Benton are north of that line and it's southern still.

Branson area certainly doesn't seem midwestern to me. It's in the bible belt and dominated by southern Baptist, evengelicals as well. Also a number of shops still sell Confederate flags. I don't see any other midwestern town themed like that. And yes I would expect 50 years ago the Ozarks to feel more southern. Heck a lot of places here in FL 50 years ago was more southern as well than it is today where not many traces are left.

I don't see anything Midwestern about Table Rock, West Plains, Bull Shoals, Poplar Bluff etc. Religion, culture just doesn't line up. Kirksville which today is Midwestern feels the total opposite of West Plains.

Old 08-18-2018, 08:26 PM

I think it's a generational thing too how regions are classified.

Up until the late 60s, in news print I notice Missouri a lot of times was called a border state or border south when being mentioned regarding regions, then the term midwestern started to be used a lot more after that.

Back then Maryland was also called border south as well and then it's now called mid Atlantic instead. Even Virginia the term mid atlantic is used more than south now it seems.

Back then for example in the 50s and 60s you still had people who were born in the early 1900s which thinks were a lot different back then and Missouri back then was more southern than it is today, especially in the Ozarks.

Also, in the early 1900s most counties in Missouri were dry as well and eventually it was considered a dry state. Missouri also very nearly passed poll taxes in 1904 that was just narrowly defeated, and also back then when designs were being proposed for the official state flag there was one design that incorporated the Roman Cross from the MO Confederate Battle Flag.

While today Midwest overall dominates the south in Missouri, there is still history and ways the state behaves still that still has considerable southern influences. None of the other midwestern states have this kind of debate because MO is the only state that has a quarter of it within the southern dialect and a chunk of the state that is located in the south, and of course was represented in Confederate Congress as a state regardless of what the status was. Didn't have that with IL or IN and still don't.

Living in FL again I will say Missouri feels more southern than FL does. The politicians down here overall are a lot more moderate than the Republicans in Missouri which seem to be going more and more to the right, especially on guns which MO has hardly any regulations compared to FL which has complex gun laws.

I miss Missouri gun laws. The same anti gun law Rick the Slimeball Scott signed this spring went nowhere in Missouri when introduced despite demanding mommies crying.

Red Flag restraining orders are being abused down here and now a 3 day wait period on all gun purchases. Stacey Newman can't even gain any traction trying to pass a 24 hour waiting period lol.

In Missouri I used to carry a full sized 1911 in the summer and didn't care if it printed or showed because not a thing could be done. Down here that will get you arrested.

I remember in the summer once my Kimber was showing because of the wind as I was walking into QT Stl county cop saw it as he was walking in and he just looked at me and then kept on going about his business.

FloriDUH sheriffs HATE open carry and lobby against it.

So with guns, low taxes, right wing abortion politics, and such, MO still shows strong southern influences. Actually has better gun laws than all the southern states except for Mississippi which has the same laws as Missouri basically not needing a permit to carry.

So yea FL feels less southern culturally too unless you go to northern florida or the few places in inland areas. Actually the culture is pretty bland down here.

Politics wise MO has FL beat. I'm worried we will have a democrap governor down here after this election and they won't be the Chris Koster type who is more conservative both candidates are far left liberals and want to ban many firearms and openly state it.

In MO you never see Jay Nixon, or Chris Kosters compaign like that. They would have no chance at winning election.

Notice Jay Nixon his first term in office he never had anti gun campaigns and didn't veto pro gun bills until his second term when he was lame duck in order to kiss arse hoping for a Hillary appointment if she was elected.

Chris Koster also openly supporter constitutional carry as well while campaigning. LOL our two leading democrap governor candidates are openly calling for California style gun control down here.

After the 2003 CCW veto from One Term Bob I think sane democrats learning running anti gun for a statewide office like governor is suicide.

You can't run someone like Stacey Newman or Jill Schupp for statewide office. They'd get trashed.

Old 08-18-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
I think it's a generational thing too how regions are classified.

Up until the late 60s, in news print I notice Missouri a lot of times was called a border state or border south when being mentioned regarding regions, then the term midwestern started to be used a lot more after that.

Back then Maryland was also called border south as well and then it's now called mid Atlantic instead. Even Virginia the term mid atlantic is used more than south now it seems.

Back then for example in the 50s and 60s you still had people who were born in the early 1900s which thinks were a lot different back then and Missouri back then was more southern than it is today, especially in the Ozarks.

Also, in the early 1900s most counties in Missouri were dry as well and eventually it was considered a dry state. Missouri also very nearly passed poll taxes in 1904 that was just narrowly defeated, and also back then when designs were being proposed for the official state flag there was one design that incorporated the Roman Cross from the MO Confederate Battle Flag.

While today Midwest overall dominates the south in Missouri, there is still history and ways the state behaves still that still has considerable southern influences. None of the other midwestern states have this kind of debate because MO is the only state that has a quarter of it within the southern dialect and a chunk of the state that is located in the south, and of course was represented in Confederate Congress as a state regardless of what the status was. Didn't have that with IL or IN and still don't.

Living in FL again I will say Missouri feels more southern than FL does. The politicians down here overall are a lot more moderate than the Republicans in Missouri which seem to be going more and more to the right, especially on guns which MO has hardly any regulations compared to FL which has complex gun laws.

I miss Missouri gun laws. The same anti gun law Rick the Slimeball Scott signed this spring went nowhere in Missouri when introduced despite demanding mommies crying.

Red Flag restraining orders are being abused down here and now a 3 day wait period on all gun purchases. Stacey Newman can't even gain any traction trying to pass a 24 hour waiting period lol.

In Missouri I used to carry a full sized 1911 in the summer and didn't care if it printed or showed because not a thing could be done. Down here that will get you arrested.

I remember in the summer once my Kimber was showing because of the wind as I was walking into QT Stl county cop saw it as he was walking in and he just looked at me and then kept on going about his business.

FloriDUH sheriffs HATE open carry and lobby against it.

So with guns, low taxes, right wing abortion politics, and such, MO still shows strong southern influences. Actually has better gun laws than all the southern states except for Mississippi which has the same laws as Missouri basically not needing a permit to carry.

So yea FL feels less southern culturally too unless you go to northern florida or the few places in inland areas. Actually the culture is pretty bland down here.

Politics wise MO has FL beat. I'm worried we will have a democrap governor down here after this election and they won't be the Chris Koster type who is more conservative both candidates are far left liberals and want to ban many firearms and openly state it.

In MO you never see Jay Nixon, or Chris Kosters compaign like that. They would have no chance at winning election.

Notice Jay Nixon his first term in office he never had anti gun campaigns and didn't veto pro gun bills until his second term when he was lame duck in order to kiss arse hoping for a Hillary appointment if she was elected.

Chris Koster also openly supporter constitutional carry as well while campaigning. LOL our two leading democrap governor candidates are openly calling for California style gun control down here.

After the 2003 CCW veto from One Term Bob I think sane democrats learning running anti gun for a statewide office like governor is suicide.

You can't run someone like Stacey Newman or Jill Schupp for statewide office. They'd get trashed.
I'm very glad my Iowa parents migrated to Missouri and I was born here. I like Iowa too, but between the weather and the left-leaning politics, I'll take Missouri. I get the best of both worlds. Missouri, at least the part I live in, is midwestern, yet it's a very conservative state politically speaking. And I've met just great people from all over it. I also love the green, the trees, etc. Also a fan of (you guessed it) Mizzou and the STL Cardinals. Love STL despite it's issues like most large metros have. I love that I can drive to a Cardinals game in 20 minutes or to a crick full of crawdads in not much longer or just stay in my little leafy green suburb and enjoy it all. Of course, my second favorite city is Columbia MO - spent several great years there and always enjoy going back.

Just born in the right place I guess.

Old 08-19-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I'm very glad my Iowa parents migrated to Missouri and I was born here. I like Iowa too, but between the weather and the left-leaning politics, I'll take Missouri. I get the best of both worlds. Missouri, at least the part I live in, is midwestern, yet it's a very conservative state politically speaking. And I've met just great people from all over it. I also love the green, the trees, etc. Also a fan of (you guessed it) Mizzou and the STL Cardinals. Love STL despite it's issues like most large metros have. I love that I can drive to a Cardinals game in 20 minutes or to a crick full of crawdads in not much longer or just stay in my little leafy green suburb and enjoy it all. Of course, my second favorite city is Columbia MO - spent several great years there and always enjoy going back.

Just born in the right place I guess.
Yea Iowa is a lot different. It's more socially liberal than Missouri is but isn't far left liberal and more moderate. Which that is another thing with Missouri and southern influence is politically it has influences from the south in the thinking especially ideology when it comes to abortion, gays and such and doesn't behave like other midwestern states. That is the southern Baptist influence that you don't see in other midwestern states.

I hope people are not dumb enough to re-elect Claire. The problem we have is there are still some rural voters who vote moderate democrap even though they're conservative and will vote for Claire still. Still raised in that civil war mentality of voting democrat. Peter Kinder commented in 2002 how that was ending though and the flip in Missouri was almost complete.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:48 PM

Joplin is underrated. For sure. That whole part of SW Missouri is.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-22-2018 at 12:26 PM..

Old 10-17-2018, 06:45 PM

662 posts, read 1,222,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Joplin is underrated. For sure. That whole part of SW Missouri is.

Absolutely.

I grew up in east central MO in what now would be considered the very periphery of the STL metro area, as that area is now largely a bedroom community for those who commute into the STL suburbs. It wasn't back then as the suburbs didn't come out nearly that far and it was too far to commute into St. Louis itself. Anything south of Rolla (or roughly about a half hour south of Highway 50 across the state) was considered to people living there to be Ozarks hillbilly redneck country and that definitely included Springfield. About the only things that people where I grew up knew about southwest MO was that it had the Lee factory outlet in Lebanon (which was mocked for how the locals pronounced the name of their town), Bass Pro Shops in Springfield, a bunch of old-fart musical shows in Branson, Silver Dollar City (seen as a second rate hillbilly Six Flags), and SMS, a second tier university for people who couldn't get into Mizzou but was seen as better than the notorious party school SEMO and offering more programs than CMSU and NW MO State, and wasn't a commuter school like UMSL or UMKC (UMSL had a much worse reputation than UMKC in that regard.)

After now having lived in SW MO for years, the area is clearly underrated and a much better area to live in than what I grew up hearing. The topography is in my opinion the prettiest in the state, Springfield is large enough to have a lot of things but not so large as to have nasty traffic as STL and KC do, it's large enough to have a decent job market, and the cost of living is low. There also isn't the goofiness that there is in the other city of Springfield's size, Columbia. I lived in Columbia for about a decade and it was fine, but the college town goofiness could be a bit much at time for somebody who wasn't looking for goofiness.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyover_Country View Post
Absolutely.

I grew up in east central MO in what now would be considered the very periphery of the STL metro area, as that area is now largely a bedroom community for those who commute into the STL suburbs. It wasn't back then as the suburbs didn't come out nearly that far and it was too far to commute into St. Louis itself. Anything south of Rolla (or roughly about a half hour south of Highway 50 across the state) was considered to people living there to be Ozarks hillbilly redneck country and that definitely included Springfield. About the only things that people where I grew up knew about southwest MO was that it had the Lee factory outlet in Lebanon (which was mocked for how the locals pronounced the name of their town), Bass Pro Shops in Springfield, a bunch of old-fart musical shows in Branson, Silver Dollar City (seen as a second rate hillbilly Six Flags), and SMS, a second tier university for people who couldn't get into Mizzou but was seen as better than the notorious party school SEMO and offering more programs than CMSU and NW MO State, and wasn't a commuter school like UMSL or UMKC (UMSL had a much worse reputation than UMKC in that regard.)

After now having lived in SW MO for years, the area is clearly underrated and a much better area to live in than what I grew up hearing. The topography is in my opinion the prettiest in the state, Springfield is large enough to have a lot of things but not so large as to have nasty traffic as STL and KC do, it's large enough to have a decent job market, and the cost of living is low. There also isn't the goofiness that there is in the other city of Springfield's size, Columbia. I lived in Columbia for about a decade and it was fine, but the college town goofiness could be a bit much at time for somebody who wasn't looking for goofiness.
Going to give this a bump. The SW part of the State is great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri